Jakks Pacific K-2SO 20" repaint job

Yarok

Hi everybody,

I've been tackling the JP 20" K-2SO for a few days now, so i might just as well post this online (this is my first thread on the rpf btw).

The JP figure doens't look too bad, certainly not for a quick repaint. I'm not planning on making this screen accurate, i just want to make it less toy-like and with a better overall finish. The three things i'd like to achieve:

- fix the more prominent and visible features: the eyes, particularly, and the overall finish (mould lines, sink marks, etc).
- replace the soft vynil parts with homemade styrene parts
- alter the position of his limbs to give him a more natural stance

*please excuse the low quality of the pictures, i usually build at night and take shots as i go, so no fancy studio quality pics here ^^

Naturally, the first thing to do is to take him apart.

IMG_20161225_143419.jpg

(look at those legs... couldn't make 'em anymore stiff...)

The very good news is that the eyes are a separate insert inside the head. That will make things MUCH easier than i actually thought!

IMG_20161227_165140.jpg

So flat... so lifeless...

But more on the eyes later on. The first soft vynil part that i tackled is also one of the most visible. The whole mouth piece is molded in vynil (for safety reasons, i believe). That part was a bit tricky to remove without damaging it too much - i still needed the original part for measurements.

IMG_20161225_143042_edited.jpg

On this wonky shot, you can see the vynil mouthpiece and behind it, a thick screw post. Inside the head, there's a thick loop on the moutpiece that wraps tightly around the post. First, the loop must be sliced open (taking extra care not to slip and cut myself), then the mouthpiece can be pried apart with a chisel and some side-cutters.

Absorbed by my work, i forgot to take in progress shots of the scratchbuilt mouthpiece, so as not to spoil my own thread, let's switch to the eyes first, shall we?

I rummaged through my spare box and unbuild kits for some kind of lens that would fit over the eyes without too much hassle. Luckily for me, i quickly found the perfect match in an old AMT/ERTL 1953 Ford F-100 Pickup kit:

maxresdefault.jpg

Using Bare Metal Foil as backing on the original part, then adding the headlight lenses, i managed to achieve the look i wanted.

IMG_20161227_173142.jpg

And here you can also see the new mouthpiece ^^ The result is a mix between the original part, movie photos and other toys/collectibles found on the internet. Again, this may not be 100% accurate, since a lot of artistic licence and "creative gizmology" (thanks, Shep Paine!) is involved.

One thing i learned from detailing and upgrading toys is to keep the level of detail consistent with the general quality of the figure. If some added details are really sharp (or way sharper than the surrounding details), the effect might get lost as the other, untouched areas will seem very crude and bland.

IMG_20161227_173055.jpg

Here's another shot. The two prongs (mandibles?) on the mouthpiece are bits of thick copper wire.

When a light hits the eyes at just the right angle it really is quite creepy ^^

IMG_20161227_221241_edited.jpg

The next step was to fix the vynil antennas on his back.

IMG_20161228_184057_edited.jpg

Nah, that won't do... So out came the hobby knife and chisel! The vynil part is only slightly glued at the bottom so it came out pretty easily. Here's a blurry shot:

IMG_20161228_184413_edited.jpg

I filled the hole with some scrap styrene then cut a piece of sheet to cover it completely, so as not to have some tedious filling/sanding to do between those details.

IMG_20161229_172317_edited.jpg

Again, the edges and corners of this styrene part were slightly rounded with some fine sandpaper, so they'll blend in with the surrounding details once painted.

Using small bits of styrene tubing cut and filed at an angle, the antenna bases were added:

IMG_20161229_174101.jpg

As you can see, i also added a smaller rectangle with two sware lights/buttons, as per Sideshow's model. Looks a bit busier that way.

Finally, I cut a few lengths of tubing that could slide in one another, glued them together then used my rotary tool as a small lathe to shape them and add some grooves with a Tamiya saw blade.

IMG_20161229_180705_edited.jpg

And that's it for now, i'll try and update this thread as i carry on, hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,

Patrick

Attachments

• IMG_20161225_143042.jpg
    IMG_20161225_143042.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20161228_184050.jpg
    IMG_20161228_184050.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20161228_184057.jpg
    IMG_20161228_184057.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20161228_184057.jpg
    IMG_20161228_184057.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
Nice work man. I'm too in the process of repainting. Already added lights to mine. I might have to copy your mods with the antenna and mouth piece as well.

Excellent stuff, if i ever find one of these ill rework a lot of it too including lighting the eyes and his back panel.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back