Testers dullcoate did it again.

Never trust Testors. Go with Tamiya, Mr. Color, Vallejo, or Badger. Don't trust other paints.

I use Testors Model Master acrylics exclusively and I always get excellent results.
You can spray them right out of the jar with no thinning and you can clean your airbrush with plain old water.
You can thin them with water, too, for washes and the like.

They also make an acrylic matte finish, but I took some advise from a model magazine and now I always let a new jar sit until it separates, then siphon off the carrier and replace it with lighter fluid. This eliminates the milky effect the clear coat has when sprayed straight from the jar. The lighter fluid evaporates almost instantly, so it won't harm your paint.

I use future over top of both Vallejo and Tamiya with no issues. For a flat finish I mix Future with Tamiya Flat Base (X-21). This way i can alter the level of "flat" desired depending on how much of the flat base i use. I've had no issues with this combo so far :) and spray it with no dilution @20psi.

I've been using this stuff - matte acrylic non yellowing
IMG_2454r.JPG

thin 50/50 with water then add a couple of drops of windex (or whatever blue glass cleaner is native to your country) to break the surface tension. If you spray it onto a gloss surface without the windex it'll form droplets on the surface. Don't thin with Tamiya acrylic thinner or it'll clog your airbrush. Spray a few thin coats - first coat may look splotchy when dry. It may lighten dark colours so a satin finish (which is also avalable) may be more appropriate.

As with all tips from the internet - test first.

Attachments

• File 15-01-17, 13 52 56.jpeg
    File 15-01-17, 13 52 56.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 72
I just picked up a can of Modge Pog matte acrylic. Hit it over a kit painted in acrylic. So I layed down my paint, hit it with future, layed down a oil base wash, sealed it with future and them the Modge Pod acry lic. It looks great with no issues yet.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. It seems like my major issue is attempting to use oil washes (mig oil paints thinned with Weber odorless tupenoid) over a lacquer based gloss clear coat. I've been using Tester's Gloss Cote but it appears the Tamiya rattle can gloss clear is also lacquer based. Every time I thin the oil paint (even ever so slightly with just 1 drop of turpenoid) it eats away at the lacquer based clear gloss coat. I end up resorting to dry brushing the oil paints or applying it sparingly un-thinned and doing lots of blending and removing. Results have been pretty okay so far but I really want to work with thinned oil paints.

It appears that in order to successfully weather with thinned oil paints that one needs an acrylic clear coat. The go to approach appears to be Future, Tamiya X-22 acrylic gloss clear, Tester's Acryl gloss clear (or other similar products) sprayed through an air brush. That said, I don't own one at this time. Are there any acrylic gloss clears in rattle can form that might be an acceptable substitute?

You can apply Future with a paint brush. It levels really well.
But it dries fairly quickly, so slop it on fast, then leave it alone 'til it dries.

I love Army Painter dull, applied in a few thin coats to keep the amount of solvent and propellant in check. It gives a great finish and is super easy to apply. I use it on most of my master replicas repaints because it seems to go on near enough everything without reacting.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back