Death Star plans data card - zenix's build thread

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm going to be building this over the next few days, using two separate methods. I'd love for you to follow along! Subscribe for updates :)

5caecfe23e8892f3253eb587bf1bf660.png

Build video for the vinyl option:

https://youtu.be/cQaCpubW3R0

Last edited:
Interesting. But I'm really not sure what you'll be able to come up with before the Blu Ray is released - there appears to be no reference material on this thing, and screen caps from what is available are not very clear... That said, I'd LOVE an accurate one at some point.

Do we have any good reference of the screen used card from ANH? I hope it's close...

I can't recall ever seeing a good picture.

There's not much out there at all for the ANH one. Combining the screen shots posted on line, screen caps from the cam copy, and seeing it several viewings, I'm confident on the sizing and details of whats shown.

I'll be making this by etching a copper clad printed circuit board and then nickel plating and gold plating the etched PCB to get the right color. I'll mill the board out to be the right shape with the curved top. Four concentric circles with a gap in between each one. Depending on how it turns out, I may not need to paint the rest of the board white. the etched pcb might be close enough in color, but they always turn up a bit yellow, so we'll see.

The other method will be a lot simpler, but probably not as accurate as how the real one was made. It'll just be a laser-cut plastic card with golden foil cut and attached to the card. This one will be a lot less work so would end up costing me less to make. I'm going to try both and update it as I go.

Both ways will have a black plastic base to the card, either cast or 3d printed.

I believe the card is fogged translucent, not solid white, in one quick second you can see light on the control panel behind it shine through it.

dbebaa12f5b27ede8e36b8443bff5d3a.jpg

Size and translucency test.

If I'm going to make it from this plastic, this is the amount of light that shines through. You can see my finger but it's not too clear... Only like 5-10% translucent. The width here is 2.5" which I originally thought was right but after holding it, it feels a tad too small.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

About time somebody decided to tackle this!

I'm interested to see what you come up with! Looks like you're already on the right track.

Keep them updates coming, I'd love to have one of these!!

Metallic 3M vinyl may work also.
Yes I'll be using metallic vinyl as one of the three ways. The vinyl is on its way, delivery tomorrow so I can't use it yet. It's no good to out that stuff in the laser, just in the vinyl cutter.

One glossy, one matte. Paint sticks better to matte, so I made it that way just in case.
ccc8b03ff77253f483dde743c086d1ae.gif

I think it looks pretty good, but I'm excited to see how the other two methods turn out.

There's a black piece at the bottom I still have to add.

Love to see this compared with the slot size of R2-D2
In the end scene, you totally see the dude running with it in his hand, holding it like this.

bf4d3b3a4652070a3156e14a1cbd808b.gif

That hand position one of the factors I'm using in considering the size, in addition to scaling based on the gloved thumb in the picture. These guys are 75 wide and I hear the R2 slot is about 75mm also. I think it should be this width and perhaps a tad longer than I made it. I unfortunately don't have an R2 of my own to test it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back