Death Star plans data card - zenix's build thread

Test batch was delivered!

c6c9693bee242702023c9d4937e08a50.gif

f26e019506732d33ec16d38ad8ae844f.gif

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I carefully sanded away the epoxy from the raised traces, exposing the copper. This looks awesome but is clearly the wrong color. I just did it to show the effect, and what the final rev will look like

Man, I don't know...going back through this entire thread and seeing the last gif where you show the back of it in bare aluminum, I'm kinda starting to lean that direction.
have you TRIED doing a bare aluminum one with the traces and just skip the white epoxy? i'd be really curious to see what that looked like.

Man, I don't know...going back through this entire thread and seeing the last gif where you show the back of it in bare aluminum, I'm kinda starting to lean that direction.
have you TRIED doing a bare aluminum one with the traces and just skip the white epoxy? i'd be really curious to see what that looked like.
If the whole thing is bare aluminium, the traces have to be not silver since they won't show up. I'm not sure what they'd be made of.... I can make bare aluminium with black epoxy I think.

Even silver against aluminum would still show up in the right light and angle, and especially would tarnish differently after some time. Silver turns a dark gray with time and exposure to air.

Just saying...think about it. Here's a comparison of screen shot, prop video, and your bare aluminum. with color sampling average from all three.

ro card unsk.png

Last edited:
Not silver, silver color. I don't have a way to do that. Pic 3 is totally white, right? The bottom bar there isnt black

The plating is applied to the exposed surface, like dipped in a VAT of the liquid solution. I don't have a way to make part one metal and the other part gold.

I don't think they did either because if they made this like making a circuit board which is what I believe, they they wouldn'tve had a way to make only part of it gold either.

It all comes down to lighting.

That looks awesome!

But I see what folks are saying, in the photos of the real prop, it almost looks like the front is bare aluminum, and the traces just a slightly different color.

Still, the reference we have isn't the greatest, and tricks of light and all that can come into play, I reckon.

Maybe it's white epoxy with aluminum or silver traces.

I'm also seeing some slight differences in your traces and the real prop's. For one, the three dots or squares at the top are in the wrong position, the trace at the top left corner that yours is missing, etc.

I'm also seeing a third line at the bottom right that follows the other two that step down and run almost the width of the card to the left cluster of traces, and it almost looks like the gold circle needs to move up, the top of the circle in line with where the card changes to the curve.

It's so hard to describe, I wish I could draw it.

Last edited:
I don't have a way to make the front bare aluminium and the circle gold and then also the traces a different color. The gold goes everywhere exposed.

It is really great looking, I totally agree!
The next rev will look like that except aluminium showing through where you see the copper.

The other way I could do it's aluminium showing everywhere with black epoxy where you see copper.

I do not see white at ALL on pic 3. That's the pic that convinced me it was aluminum. The ruler looking white strip next to it is definitely white.
But the card looks to just be plain metal and just has a non-painted bottom bar.

BTW, don't take that negative AT ALL. I love this project, you're doing an amazing job, and I can't wait to get one ( I ordered on kickstarter) no matter what you end up with. I just think it's fun to dissect all possibilities.

Pic 3 is totally white, right? The bottom bar there isnt black

To me it looks exactly like mildly aged aluminum, just like the aforementioned dark slide theory (which I totally think is very valid, at least for the ANH prop)

Mamiya_RB67_-_dos_120.jpg$_35.jpg

Last edited:
The whole thing is coming together very well.

I think the aluminum in place of the copper is the way to go. I think black is too drastic and too in-your-face. IMHO, the circuit detailing should be thinner and not as bold. When I first saw the detail on the prop, it looked like pencil scribbling.

Last edited:
The next rev will look like that except aluminium showing through where you see the copper.

The other way I could do it's aluminium showing everywhere with black epoxy where you see copper.

Hey brother, forgive me for asking, how do I get in on this new one?

The whole thing is coming together very well.

I think the aluminum in place of the copper is the way to go. I think black is too drastic and too in-your-face. IMHO, the circuit detailing should be thinner and not as bold. When I first saw the detail on the pro, it looked like pencil scribbling.
I agree with your mention of thinner traces. They don't seem quite as thick and bold as the newest incarnation.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back