Death Star plans data card - zenix's build thread

I placed a prototype order with a professional PCB making shop. To do this you need to make Gerber files, which are totally separate from the typical AutoCAD design I do. It's not easy to convert. I got it done last night but I'm not documenting that process because I don't know it well enough to do so, and others have done that already anyway. It'll take some time to get it back from them. So we'll check back in on that in about two weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sounds great ill keep my eyes out!

Hopefully the DVD will shed some more info.

I should have the VisDi and Art of books on Tuesday, maybe something in there.

Just picked up the art book from the library, nothing in there. In fact, they seem to omit any art that occurs after the final battle. My guess is that since the book was released on the same day of the movie, they did not want to give away those last few scenes and spoil the great ending.

I'm also guessing nothing in the Vis Guide or else someone would have posted images by now like they have in other threads when looking for prop details.

Yea I have the visual dictionary. There's def some other things I want to make, but this isn't in there, and the pic for the drive that's in there is all kinds of lame

Can we get a photo of all completed versions in a row? I think the only pic of the gold plated is in your hand?

I'm having trouble choosing between the brushed vinyl and the plated.

EDIT: I see the gif with them in a row, but the area around the gold plated is a bit messy looking. Is that the paint?

I only posted a picture of the proof of concept gold plated one. the production ones aren't back yet from the pro fabrication shop. that'll happen in about a week or so.

Can we get a photo of all completed versions in a row? I think the only pic of the gold plated is in your hand?

I'm having trouble choosing between the brushed vinyl and the plated.

EDIT: I see the gif with them in a row, but the area around the gold plated is a bit messy looking. Is that the paint?

Here is the size of my data card slot in my personal r2 eye:
ffc95558b3abbcb8cc1c950b5a311025.jpg

ccd22d1c0e67679d137adeee263c3418.jpg

So if you were to scale down the width to 2 3/4" it would fit the slot perfectly. Also the thickness would need to be 1/16" of the desired material.

I got a buddy to measure with calipers for more precise dimensions off the standard aluminum radar eye most people have, which is 79mm wide and 2.38mm tall.. Mine's 72 wide. We're good for sure for the gold plated one. I gotta measure thickness for the acrylic one.

Last edited:
I got a buddy to measure with calipers for more precise dimensions off the standard aluminum radar eye most people have, which is 79mm wide and 2.38mm tall.. Mine's 72 wide. We're good for sure for the gold plated one. I gotta measure thickness for the acrylic one.
I was saying that for note of my own r2. Not telling you how to do your stuff if you took it that way:). Your progress looks great!!!

Pablo Hidalgo recently confirmed that the datadisc is the same one that Leia inserts into R2. https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/816054460568866816

This is news? Conceptually, of course it's the same. Did you think she switched it for another one? Why? When? It's hard to tell for sure, but there might only be five or ten minutes of in-universe time between the events of the two films. She pretty much got the card, then ran off to find a droid.

I wonder, though, how closely the R1 prop resembles the original ANH prop. We don't get a good look at the card in ANH, and I've never seen prop photos of it. (Anyone?) I always assumed it was just a scrap of something handy on set, not a detailed prop, but it'd be great to find out more about it. At least now we have fairly clear views of the R1 version.

A quick question. I agree the front of the card looks white. Does anyone else think maybe the back of the card is light gray? I've seen some pics that make me wonder if it's like metal painted only on the front, or something. Anyone agree/disagree? I've only seen the film once and a few sketchy screencaps, so I could easily be wrong.

This is news? Conceptually, of course it's the same. Did you think she switched it for another one? Why? When? It's hard to tell for sure, but there might only be five or ten minutes of in-universe time between the events of the two films. She pretty much got the card, then ran off to find a droid.

I wonder, though, how closely the R1 prop resembles the original ANH prop. We don't get a good look at the card in ANH, and I've never seen prop photos of it. (Anyone?) I always assumed it was just a scrap of something handy on set, not a detailed prop, but it'd be great to find out more about it. At least now we have fairly clear views of the R1 version.

A quick question. I agree the front of the card looks white. Does anyone else think maybe the back of the card is light gray? I've seen some pics that make me wonder if it's like metal painted only on the front, or something. Anyone agree/disagree? I've only seen the film once and a few sketchy screencaps, so I could easily be wrong.
124372cf253c13c2a22ec6d790981c22.jpg

ANH pic.

I'm pretty sure the Rogue One card was made the same way I'm making the gold plated ones.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back