New Mythbusters 2017 - Your thoughts

My first impressions:

A total lack of skill from all of them, with too much arguing, bickering and posturing .
Too much clowning around, kid play and over acting, trying to be comical and funny for TV.

One contestant said ''go big or go home''....... come on, really! Isn't that a tired, over used statement by now!?
Where's the science and research!!
I'm waiting for one of them to say "Isn't there an APP for this?"

Another one even had his own show at one time and it was cancelled with poor ratings.

I get the impression that the production team is struggling to find good material with good science and know how
to keep it interesting .

For me it's sad that they are going to find the new hosts by default, by not eliminating who sucks the least,
but to let go who sucks the most.
It's like winning something because the others are worse then you are and not because you have the most
skill and knowledge.
They all clearly have very limited 'multiple skill' levels. They each can really only do one thing.
I'd let them all go and find a new pool of people that can take up the slack where needed on a project.

It's not like this is a new idea, starting from scratch or even re-inventing the wheel (as Adam and Jamie already tried to do
on the original show).
There's already a working formula to follow and emulate.

I think this show needs another word for their final conclusions:
Busted - Plausible - Confirmed - Invalid (due to their lack of research, evaluation, study and skill).

One of the perimeters of the ejection door and seat was that it shouldn't look obvious to the passenger
getting in. Both teams failed on that. You couldn't even open either of the doors normally. Both doors had to be put on
after Buster was put in the seat, making the Myth......Invalid

Maybe they should have looked into modifying a motorized Lambo Door or make it a sliding door like a mini van.
They could open the door, then move the seat (on bearing rails) to the opening and tilt the seat outward to eject the passenger into the street.
Put the seat back and close the motorized door.
That way they can keep the car looking normal after the ejection. With the 5 people and individual skill levels in the group they could have done this
within the 4 days. Each having there own job to do. (go big or go home......wait, who said that!?)

The second myth was a Football catching one about whether it was easier to catch a fully inflated ball or a partially under inflated one.
They didn't even do a Control to see if anyone of them could even catch a football in the first place.
All of them could barely catch and they couldn't tell which football was what, so it made the conclusion.....Invalid.
I feel the on-set dog mascot could have done better at this Myth.

I realize this is a "reality style" show format at this time with limited time and budget, but maybe the actual show
Mythbusters: The Next Gen will be way better with actual science of the myths.

I think when they get eliminated, they will have no defense. They already know they don't have what it takes for this job.

They are tainting the true nature of Mythbusting. What a mess.
sad.png

But you know, they at least made some new friends :)

At this point, I suppose there is something for somebody here, but for me however, it just another kids show.

(maybe the next 7 episodes will be better)

Last edited:
I lasted about 2 or 3 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore. The only good thing about it was that Robert Lee was still the announcer.

So what's the deal with this new show? The cynic in me thinks that they cancelled the original just to recast it with cheaper hosts. Or did Science Channel buy the rights and decide to keep it going after Discovery cancelled it? It just seems weird to get rid of a show just to remake it in almost immediately after. I guess the first season is the search and the rest of the show will be with whoever wins the contest?

As much as I'm not too happy with the contestants bidding for the new show, there is not much I can do about it.
But does the Science Channel have to show the same two boring people (Allen and Jon) in the previews?
I wish they would show Tracy, Brian or even Martin. They are the front runners.

Once the hosts have been chosen (by default and not because of there background and skill level), maybe their first Myth to
Bust - Find Possible - Confirm or Invalidate, is there own ability to be a Mythbuster or not.

Science channel seems to be embellishing there skills, but there histories don't reflect it.
If this version of Mythbusters is using people that haphazardly puts together some ideas while clowning around,
then they have accomplished there task. No thinking required.
The original show at least showed the science and concept behind the Myth first and the build came second.

Last edited:
Observation:
There is one thing about the process that they have chosen to eliminate the contestants.
I don't think it is fair to the ones that are let go as the show progresses, because all of them should have equal
chance at doing ALL the Myths which they have planned.

In this way, they all can show what skills they have while competing against the entire group until the end.

While doing this, they could keep track of all ten contestants and evaluate there skills through the entire competition.
That way they will know what they all can do while doing different aspects of each Myth.

Then choose the winners from their actual, combined abilities....
It would be the fair thing to do.........

I know it is too late now to improve the process since it is already done and the decisions have already been
made and "in the can".

I suppose if you are looking for a show that does not reflect the ''true spirit'' of the original and you have never seen the
original for comparison, then this version could just be the ticket for mindless, barely entertaining television viewing (like most reality shows).

Last edited:
They did a Myth about painting a room with explosives. They ended up blowing the walls out of two of the rooms.
Here is a mock up (scaled down) of what I would have done.
This is made of corrugated plastic, not thick steel :
Only a proof of concept/design.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most resent Myth on the search was finding 3 metal needles and one bone needle in hay.
"Finding a needle in a haystack".

[ When I saw them pushing the hay "through the fan blades" of the blowers to separate the hay, wouldn't that also
chop up the bone needle and mangle the metal ones? I wonder if anyone checked to see if the bone needle would
fluoresce under UV/Black light?
It is possible to separate the hay using air, using the VENTURI effect.
The Venturi tube set-up could pull the hay in one side, then out the other (like a vacuum) without running it through fan blades.
After pulling the hay into the Venturi tube, steadily funnel it down and pass it through a 6" to 8" transparent acrylic tube
with several neo-magnets around it's outer surface.
The magnetic field would pass thought the walls of the clear tube and attract the steel needles to the inside surface and you
could see the needles on the inside.
Also, wouldn't a plain metal detector coil work as well to detect the metal needles? ]

Just thinking out loud :)

I don't know why they even did that one since Jamie and Adam figured out how to do it very early in the series. How does that help finding new hosts when the myth has already been done before. I'm not going to watch a new series just to see them do the same myths all over again.

I don't know why they even did that one since Jamie and Adam figured out how to do it very early in the series. How does that help finding new hosts when the myth has already been done before. I'm not going to watch a new series just to see them do the same myths all over again.

isnt that how modern day tv shows work?

all you see is what is already done

isnt that how modern day tv shows work?

all you see is what is already done

That doesn't mean I'm going to watch them, which I don't. It's one thing to take a show that was already done and then modernize it and it is something else to repeat what has already been done just for the sake of putting something on the air.

My folks have been watching this and between just repeating the stuff done years ago by Adam and Jamie and the fact that none of the "hosts" are even remotely interesting or good at what they are doing makes it a very slow watch.

This week they are doing an A Team episode in an empty workshop that is almost identical to the one that Adam and Jamie did 2 years ago. Can't they come up with anything new? If they want people to watch the new show they need to do new things and not just rehash what has already been done. If I want to see the same things done I'll just watch the originals with Adam, Jamie and the gang as they are a heck of a lot better than the jokers they have now.

I am kind of feeling compelled to watch the shows as they are aired to see just how bad it can get knowing that Hackett will probably win
because of his over the top, showboating drama for the camera sake and he probably "fits the suit" (Brady Bunch reference - Johnny Bravo).
None of contestants have skills that true Mythbusterettes are accustom too.

Of course someone has to win, so I vote for Martin Pepper. He has background, shop skills and tools to prove it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMooseknuckle123/videos

I hope that who ever wins, doesn't bring back any of the earlier contestants as shop helpers since they all have very limited skills
and no shop background as team players. This show doesn't need apprentices to learn as they go.....
Note: Although Adam showboated quite often, he already had the job and earned the right. :)

Last edited:
Well, they are narrowing down the contenders.
The last Myth they did is possible (since it has been done already), but they wanted to see how the newbies
would build there own device.
Climbing a concrete wall using two paddles and vacuum power.
Since I had some time to waist, I built my own design. It is only in the prototype, mock up stage at this point,
but proof of concept is what I'm after.
I still have to add the foot pad so the handle won't have to support my full weight.

I had not been watching this show because I just really had no desire. I thought I might check out the actual show when it starts but I wasn't interested in the contest part.

But my 8 year old is obsessed with Mythbusters and he's been watching, so I've caught the last 2 episodes.

So far I'm not impressed, but I know it's a contest show.

I was surprised to see that Tamara is an actress/model: http://m.imdb.com/name/nm2925543/?ref_=m_tt_cl_i11

Acting reel: https://youtu.be/PkY8S3lsLCk

1070920-53.jpg

My folks aren't impressed by the show or the contestants so far and watch it every episode. I know they're testing these folks using myths that are known but it's more like a boring clip show.

Maybe they shouldn't call it mythbusters and tried something different. I always thought it would be cool to have a show that tried things to see how it works out or what would happen. Mythbusters does do that to a point, but I'd like to see things that aren't always trying to solve a myth. I guess you could find a way to add the myth part in it.
But like the other day I went over this small bridge. There were signs saying that it had a weight limit and no trucks allowed. So I think, what if a truck was placed on it. Would it break apart or be ok. What about a seconds truck. I then think, how many trucks would it take to break it and how would it then break. Has anyone done something like that before?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back