New Mythbusters 2017 - Your thoughts

propmaster2000

Sr Member
I'm was wondering if there is any thoughts on the new Mythbusters for 2017?
They are starting to introduce the 10 "players" for the competition.
There are youtube channels of some of the contestants before their attempt at becoming host of the
new show.
I wonder who is doing the judging to eliminate the players?

Last edited:
Will these new people try other methods to solve myths done before? Since the old team left out different ways to solve them before that would have worked.

I'll check it for a few episodes to see how they do.

Just what we need....another "competition" show. I'll take a pass. Part what was great about mythbusters was Jamie and Adam. if they left in season 3 I probably would have stopped watching at that point.

My thought on it is "What else is on?" Tori, Kari, and Grant should have got this if they were going to continue and Adam and Jamie were done with it.
Tori, Kari, and Grant have a show they're doing together on Netflix called The White Rabbit Project, I haven't watched it yet but it seems like their version of Mythbusters.

I'm sure I will check this out, but I have trepidations about it starting off as a reality show competition. Usually contestants in these kinds of things tend to act flamboyant, instead of just being themselves, to get the gig. The wonderful thing about Jamie and Adam was that they didn't do that. They were just themselves.

I can say for sure I won't watch the competition but I will check out the show if it ever gets off the ground just to see what it is like.

I would also bet on the fact that at least one of the women will win a spot on the show as we all know you can't have Mythbusters without one of them being female.

my first knee jerk reaction was the same as many above..

It should have gone to Tori, Kari & Grant first!

I think the new group will be consistently compared to the OG crew = Jaime/Adam...etc

(and many will be disappointed that its just not them)..

From what I saw of the 'contestants'... I'm not impressed (although skill set wise I have no clue who knows what currently).. but they all seem to be going for a more 'personality' punch/look.. crazy faces.. crazy hair... the all to eager saying of '....blow something up' (which has been played out for me to the umm-teenth degree)

I want more tech and science... then some goof-ball host (s)...

* side note: whats this white rabbit stuff now??? :)

Do you think Kari, Grant and Tori would have come back to do it? They left on a contract (read money) dispute. I would bet they were paid much less than Adam and Jamie. If they had been asked back, they would have probably wanted Adam and Jamie's salary.

Discovery will be getting these new people for a song. If the show goes well, I'm sure there will be negotiations later, but for now, these folks would probably do it for free.

sounds like a BS drama reality show, with some myths sprinkled in. That Reality show formula should have been hung a up a few years ago.

There is a new show with the old sub team, also not the same anymore. On netflix.

The old Mythbusters "cool" formula doesn't works some much anymore as when we first saw this show because of the changes in information and the internet. Oh and people posting videos on youtube.

Its akin to Seinfeld not working as a sitcom now because of cellphones.

The "Original Formula" for the show worked well because there was nothing like it back then and nothing to compare with.
They didn't use a ''contest'' to find Adam and Jamie. Only their experience.

Adam and Jamie have history to back up there knowledge and experience. It seems that the contestants for this show are doing it
for TV time, as with most reality shows.
I think old school knowledge / engineering is what they'll need, with a good feel for physics.

How are they going to know what Myths have already been done? Will they have access to the history?
I hope it's not just about blowing things up.....

Last edited:
I just hope it doesn't fall into the same type of stuff that shows like Face off did--"I don't have enough time to get this build done, how am I going to finish this on time?"

Yawn....it's called flogging a dead horse and that horse died a long time ago where they ran out of myths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention all the time spent "doing the actual work" (which doesn't make it to the screen).
The show only airs what is left after editing, leaving in "the good stuff".

There is a lot more then blowing things up. Things I wouldn't consider doing....
Jumping out of a plane, swimming with sharks, eating disgusting stuff, jumping off tall buildings, hanging upside down,
swimming in "goo", bungie jumping, smelling and eating disgusting stuff, going on extended road trips, hot, cold, boring,
dumb and dull myths, etc.
Adam and Jamie have over 30 years experience between them doing SFX and their contacts, adding to their credentials,
as well as Kari, Tory & Grant having skills too.

Last edited:
I'll give a chance with a couple episodes, but I have a feeling it will be like most reality shows and will mostly show fake interpersonal drama, "my project has problems so I need to start over so I lost a day", and over the top personalities.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back