New Mythbusters 2017 - Your thoughts

I almost get the feeling that Mythbusters 2017 is going in reverse.
There is know way this new show will find 3 to 5 builders that have the same abilities as the original Mythbusters.

You'd think there would be better qualified contestants where they all are "jack of all trades" (with higher common skill levels).
Welding, fabrication, electrical / electronics, paint and finish, carpentry, plumbing, arithmetic, physics, ect.

The new Mythbusters = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6olIX1M5fc

Last edited:
Beyond may own the Mythbusters name and can produce a new show if they want , but who's going to watch it , not the fans of Adam and Jamie , and we can all watch White Rabbit project ,Adam and Jamie ARE the Mythbusters, so whatever garbage Beyond produce will soon have a quiet death.

What is Beyond? Don't you mean Discovery?

Beyond Productions is the production company behind the original Mythbusters, White Rabbit Project, and this new Mythbusters fiasco.

I watched the first couple episodes of White Rabbit Project but gave up on it... terrible format, virtually no builds, and frankly not all that interesting :thumbsdown

Ah, I see. I would have thought Discovery would own the rights.

I've got the new show on my Netflix list, but I haven't watched any of them yet.

I think discovery is getting poised to jump the shark with the mythbusters reboot. They had a couple other shows on during mythbusters peak and they all tanked.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

...I watched the first couple episodes of White Rabbit Project but gave up on it... terrible format, virtually no builds, and frankly not all that interesting :thumbsdown

I agree. It's like the worst of the Build Team segments from the latter end of the series put into a show format.

Apparently, after a few episodes and several Myths, the contestants will be narrowed down to the new Hosts.
Then the show will carry on from there. I got the impression that Adam, Jamie, Tory, Kari and Grant took the "job"
seriously while having fun doing it. I hope the new cast does the same thing while being entertaining and not silly for
TV's sake and ratings......
One of the contestants has a Youtube channel and has been seen on "Outrageous Acts of Science" several times.....

Last edited:
I have a feeling the way this'll go is

mythbusters contestant show
season 1 of new mythbusters
and either cancelled or maybe theyll swing a season 2... but def cancelled after that.

Rewatching all the mythbusters shows one after another while the marathon was going reminded me how much I miss this show since its been off the air, and I just dont think you can throw a new cast in it so quickly. Looking at you Top Gear !

One of the Myths is to eject a car (2 door Camaro) passenger seat sideways (horizontal) instead of out the roof (vertical) without explosives.
They only have 4 days to complete the task. With proper engineering, it can be done. Not sure what the Myth would be here.

Put the seat on horizontal rails for support and ejection direction (sideways), build a quick release (solenoids and/or electromagnets) for the door latch
and hinges (so door drops off), then push the seat and Buster out the hole with a quick release solenoid / air valve and pneumatic piston.

Last edited:
I understand that there are time limits on builds, even Adam and Jamie had to get stuff built on time, but you never had to see that. I've gotten to where I really really REALLY hate shows that put in all that drama crap about not being able to finish on time.

When I saw the commercials earlier in the year about "Cound you be the next mythbuster?" I was this is gonna suck. Then it became a reality comp show and I was thinking this could be ok till I saw who the contestants were. They are builders not makers or effects people and that is what Adam and Jamie brought to the table. Not to mention Adams in your face personality and Jamie's I don't care attitude. However I feel and believe what will happen I just hope it will continue to bring young people into the science and math industries and/or entertainment fields.

I wonder what will happen when the winning host(s) find out it is tougher then they had hoped it would be and want to "opt out"?

From what I have seen on the net, I don't think any of the contestants are qualified enough to do the show individually.
You have one that welds another does electronics/electrical and who knows what the others bring to the table.
Backyard builders, hobbyists and hackers. You need a person that is a jack of all trades and not afraid of trying cause
they're going to get dirty.
There is so much more to a show of this potential caliber. Not just "I want to be on TV".

Last edited:
All you need to do is Google there names to see what their backgrounds are and see if any one of them has the potential to
be a true "Mythbuster" and not just people who have a Youtube accounts.
You would have to have a competition that consists of 50 people to find just one qualified candidate with all the knowledge and skills of
the originals.
They won't be able to stand around asking if there is an "APP for that"!

I wonder if they did the ejection seat project in small scale first using a toy Camaro body, to get a better idea as to the physics and mechanics of the build?

Well, tomorrow will be the first airing of the first big myth.
I guess I will have to wait a see where this all goes.
(crossing fingers)

Last edited:
RPF'ers:
If anybody decides to watch Mythbusters: The Search first few episodes starting tomorrow, please report back here and fill us in on what your
impressions are.
I would be interested in hearing from you. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back