1.8 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3043.JPG
    IMG_3043.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3100.JPG
    IMG_3100.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Re: Finishing BB Props V3 (soon) Just rambling and tests for now!

Stunning effect, just wonderful! I'm still trying to achieve a similar effect with various rattle cans, but i haven't come close to this....BRAVO!

Rich

Delete.

Attachments

• IMG_3223.JPG
    IMG_3223.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3221.JPG
    IMG_3221.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Stunning effect, just wonderful! I'm still trying to achieve a similar effect with various rattle cans, but i haven't come close to this....BRAVO!

Rich

Hey Rich. Love your Black Series work!

I have been considering this since you mentioned it, and have a few ideas if you were curious.

Take your desired rattle can, and chill it in some iced water for 5 minutes. I think a gloss black would likely be better in this particular case than a straight gloss.
Hold the can about 6 or 7 inches away from the surface and tap the spray top. Sort of small bursts. Hopefully, the paint will spatter out and give you similar results. The only issue, and the reason I prefer a catalyized paint, is the cure time. It will be a good week or two before the droplets from the spray can are dry.

The Kylo Texture looks nice!

Thank you.

Back when the Black Series helmets were being done left and right, I shared my technique of using the stone texture, then hammered, and then sanding back... it seems like quite a few people use this technique now and I'd like to do something a little different so Anovos' texture is what I chose.

The film helmet as I stated in the Anovos thread, has a more subtle texture and I think I have got that figured out as well.. sadly, those results won't be shared for a little while.

Hey Rich. Love your Black Series work!

I have been considering this since you mentioned it, and have a few ideas if you were curious.

Take your desired rattle can, and chill it in some iced water for 5 minutes. I think a gloss black would likely be better in this particular case than a straight gloss.
Hold the can about 6 or 7 inches away from the surface and tap the spray top. Sort of small bursts. Hopefully, the paint will spatter out and give you similar results. The only issue, and the reason I prefer a catalyized paint, is the cure time. It will be a good week or two before the droplets from the spray can are dry.

Good advice and thanks for the kind words!

I've been doing this process almost the same as you describe except for chilling the paint....that's a really interesting idea!

Thanks for the tips!

Rich

Thank you.

Back when the Black Series helmets were being done left and right, I shared my technique of using the stone texture, then hammered, and then sanding back... it seems like quite a few people use this technique now and I'd like to do something a little different so Anovos' texture is what I chose.

The film helmet as I stated in the Anovos thread, has a more subtle texture and I think I have got that figured out as well.. sadly, those results won't be shared for a little while.

Haha..you are a "Kylohelmetexpert" now!:)

On the new 3D Collertors Edition of the movie are some new extras from behind the scenes.Also a great shot of the Kylo Helmet.I have no bluray on my PC so I cannot post a screenshot of this.:(

Haha..you are a "Kylohelmetexpert" now!:)

On the new 3D Collertors Edition of the movie are some new extras from behind the scenes.Also a great shot of the Kylo Helmet.I have no bluray on my PC so I cannot post a screenshot of this.:(

Expert? No. Haha. Just a guy having fun painting stuff and doing paint tests.

Thanks for the heads up! I will see if any of my friends bought the collectors edition that I can borrow. If I can get a screen cap I will post it here.

Great.

About the helmet on the bluray:It is also only ONE texture of a screenused helmet.In other scenes the helmet has no extreme texture.;)

I thought this was a pretty funny coincidence! I finished my first BS Kylo exactly a year ago today.
Today, a year later, I started work on my last Black Series. I was never a fan of the Disney mods so I skipped that, but my hope is to have a pretty damn good looking lid, while getting some good practice in for the BB Props V3.

IMG_3586.JPG

Same technique as detailed above, however, instead of going for full coverage all at once, I did a lighter first pass and will do a second pass when the first coat is dry and the bands are ready to be textured. This will give me a layered effect with many small splatters, as opposed to a flatter effect with bigger splatters I got in my test.

IMG_3581.JPGIMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG2920B5A2-A413-4E73-968F-DC6B86D99978.jpg

What a difference a year makes! So this was essentially my proto run for the BB Props as I said. Just to test everything together, see what I like, see what I don't. I went for the slightly silvery look of the Propshop helmet and I'm not a big fan of how that turned out on the Anovos style texture. I will be leaving that off the BB3.

I still need to do the fine scratchy weathering and weather the cheeks a tad, but I'll get to that in time.

You'll notice it's all fit together pretty loosely.. I can't remember where I put the bloody screws!! Hopefully I'll find them so I can get this thing screwed back together!
Here are a few more photos of it:

IMG_3625.JPGIMG_3624.JPGIMG_3623.JPGIMG_3622.JPGIMG_3621.JPGIMG_3618.JPGIMG_3619.JPGIMG_3620.JPGIMG_3626.JPG

Mr Mold Maker I really like that texture you achieved. Its REALLY good man. I was like "**** Im gonna have to redo mine" haha
Its interesting seeing people taking the things they like about the prop shop and anavos coloring/texturing and mixing it up for their own mods.
Again great job!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. :) I've got a helmet on order from Adil as well as the BB Props, I think I may do one up Propshop style, and the other Anovos style, or maybe blend the two again. Not sure yet but it should be fun!

You're making fantastic progress on your BS lid. Can't wait for your next update on it!

@Mr Mold Maker I really like that texture you achieved. Its REALLY good man. I was like "**** Im gonna have to redo mine" haha
Its interesting seeing people taking the things they like about the prop shop and anavos coloring/texturing and mixing it up for their own mods.
Again great job!

Sweet! Damn Id like to get a decent kit and actually just concentrate on the finish, not all of the frustrating mods haha... Prob sometime this year....
Yeah I really like the personal take on it, looking forward to what you come up with...I really like the chrome area (and badass exhaust look) on the anavos, but the detailing on the propshop is top shelf. Just my preference haha

Thanks for the props man! Im happy with where the lid is going. . I should get the chrome sorted out and put it all together next week, fingers crossed!!!

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. :) I've got a helmet on order from Adil as well as the BB Props, I think I may do one up Propshop style, and the other Anovos style, or maybe blend the two again. Not sure yet but it should be fun!

You're making fantastic progress on your BS lid. Can't wait for your next update on it!

Delete.

Attachments

• IMG_8919.JPG
    IMG_8919.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8928.JPG
    IMG_8928.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8813.JPG
    IMG_8813.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Yes I know, it's a joke, because each time a lid is nice on the knights of ren group, someone asks "anovos?"

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back