Rogue One Blue Squadron

Murph

Where is the love for Blue Squadron??!!! I just got the Art Of and the Visual Guide books today and there are NO blue x wings to be found in either. The Visual Guide does have a really cool section on the pilots and the new helmet markings, but nothing on the ships (except one tiny picture on the cover.) There's nothing from Hasbro or Bandai so far, and literally the ONLY picture I have found online is that one from (I think) Entertainment Weekly or something. Blue Squadron was kind of the hero squad in the movie, which was so exciting to me. Blue Leader was a general - I thought that was really cool! I thought they did an incredible job with the ships and was really looking forward to seeing some details and close ups in one form or another but there's just nothing so far.

Has anyone else found anything cool anywhere online? I'd love some detailed reference to work off of for future models. I'd probably even buy a General Merrick action figure, come on Hasbro, haha! Anybody else kind of bummed to not see any Blue x wings anywhere but the movie screen so far? Actually, I was even kind of surprised we don't have a Blue Squad thread here yet!

Yeah, I noticed this too. I've decided to turn my Bandai 1/72 into Rogue One Blue Leader, but there are no good online pix I can find. Weird, given how prominent the ship is in the movie.

Yeah, I mean I'm not hugely disappointed but one of the main reasons I grabbed those books was because I figured there was no way they wouldn't both have some great blue squad x wing pictures - the ships were SO prominent in the movie!

Naw, they were both only available as of the 16th. They both have all kinds of Mustafar, Vader stuff, etc.

I'm in the same boat. I LOVE Blue Leader. Loved the bird before R1, but now I love it even more. I think I have decided that no more of my model X-Wings will be red haha

SB

I'm with you guy's, loved Blue leader and Blue squad. They even had a blue marked U-Wing. I just saw the movie again last night and they even gave the x-wings different markings instead of just reusing the same model like TFA did!

I'm surprised Bandai made their R1 X-wing kit as Red Leader. He was barely in the movie and didn't do very much, were as Blue Leader seemed to do more. Disappointed to here the new books don't have anything on their rides. :(

Chris

What stinks is that the Visual Guide actually has a big 2 page x wing section... but it's red 1. The pics/info on the blue pilots is pretty cool, and all the new helmet marking pics are great, but I want blue x wing pics!

I agree- it was great to see all the different squad markings. TFA really dropped the ball on that.

Not only did they differentiate between squadrons...Red, Blue, ect. but they also had different ship markings like full nose stripes and broken ones ect. I appreciated that

Hadn't seen the movie yet, but I'm REALLY glad they brought back that attention to detail. Although you'd think they could have used the right darn engine cowl details instead of reusing the T-75 cowl interior.

Do we know whether the new Blue Leader X-Wing is different from the original ILM "Blue Leader" model before it was repainted as Red Leader?

I have my SS Blue Leader. I think I'll do my 1/48 Bandai X-Wing as the R1 Blue Leader when enough reference comes out.

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    593.5 KB · Views: 537
That's correct. When filmed the blue markings showed up as holes in the ship against the blue screen.

I'm sure it's going to match pretty close the original Blue Leader before it was turned into Red 2. We need more reference for the R1 BL.

It looks pretty different to me. Things I noticed about R1 Blue Leader. It looks like it has a Tan nose (though that may be another Blue Squadron X-Wing I'm thinking of) some tan paneling near the engines in the center of the wings, and IIRC a gray panel in the left nose stripe under or maybe just aft of the cockpit.

Chris

Last edited:
Ok, after looking at the Red Leader X-Wing images in the new Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide and the decals in the new Red Leader X-Wing kit from Bandai (which match each other) and then comparing them with the Still of Blue Leader above. I believe ILM just swapped the Red and Blue colors for these 2 ships. They have the same miscolored panels with just the different colored Red/Blue Squadron markings. I know there is at least one other X-wing used as it has the Tan nose and broken nose stripe. So there are at least 4 variants when you swap squadron colors.

IMO, if you want to make an accurate Blue Leader, just follow the new Bandai Red squadron kit but swap the Red strips with Blue. And then paint the pilot accordingly. ;)

Chris

Ok, after looking at the Red Leader X-Wing images in the new Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide and the decals in the new Red Leader X-Wing kit from Bandai (which match each other) and then comparing them with the Still of Blue Leader above. I believe ILM just swapped the Red and Blue colors for these 2 ships. They have the same miscolored panels with just the different colored Red/Blue Squadron markings. I know there is at least one other X-wing used as it has the Tan nose and broken nose stripe. So there are at least 4 variants when you swap squadron colors.

IMO, if you want to make an accurate Blue Leader, just follow the new Bandai Red squadron kit but swap the Red strips with Blue. And then paint the pilot accordingly. ;)

Chris

Wow,...cool research Dobber.......so in turn,....does the Rogue one scheme of Red Leader match the Star Wars Read Leader markings?

I had a flick through the UVG book today,.....it's a good bit heavier than TFA book......probably going to have to get it

On a side note,....dos it show the landing gear of the U-Wing that collapses into it's wing,....pretty flat?

J

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back