Dracula (1931) cape - Finished

MAKE BELIEVE

Master Member
Another prop on my list that I'll finally start working on

Step 1 - Getting the materials (it's a long and large cape so a lot will be needed):

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg pic6.jpg pic7.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Dracula (1931) cape - WIP

Take a look at Kirk Hammett's "Too Much Horror Business", I might be wrong but I think he might own one of the original capes, and if so, there will be pics of it in the book. I know Lugosi was buried in one of the originals. If you need, I can try and find my copy, and see if I can find some pics.

Take a look at Kirk Hammett's "Too Much Horror Business", I might be wrong but I think he might own one of the original capes, and if so, there will be pics of it in the book. I know Lugosi was buried in one of the originals. If you need, I can try and find my copy, and see if I can find some pics.

Hi mate
That would be great, thanks.
I hnow Lugosi had a few capes made of a lighter material that he used for public appearances and a heavier one made of wool (I believe he was buried with this one). The cape I'm trting to replicate is the wool one (I'm not even sure the capes had tags, but I'll put a tag on mine)
The only pic I found was the one I'm posting. It was auctioned but critics said it was not an original one. Anyway I'm basing mine on that pic.

1.jpg

I love that you're tackling this build! The tag is a great touch.

Good luck!

A very bad and very sad thing happened in the real life so I had to put the project away.
I'm slowly getting back to it but not with the enthusiasm I once had
Here are some pics of the progress anyway

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg

And several years later the outfit is almost complete (missing the proper shiny leather lace up shoes)

The shirt (with bow tie and cuf links):

PIC23.jpg
PIC24.jpg
PIC25.jpg
pic2.jpg

The waistcoat

Bela Lugosi wore several different Dracula outfits (different shapes of cape, waistcoats, etc)
This particular waistcoat is a backless marcella without buttons (a mother of pearl studs set would be needed)

PIC28.jpg

PIC29.jpg
PIC26.jpg
PIC27.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg

Here's a set of pics of Bela wearing different types of waistcoats (note that on the first one he is wearing the waistcoat without buttons - only the pocket watch chain and fobs)

PIC33.jpg
PIC34.jpg
PIC31.jpg
PIC32.jpg

The tail jacket:

pic9.jpg
PIC11.jpg
PIC12.jpg

The complete costume:

PIC13.jpg

PIC16.jpg
PIC21.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back