Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk (Post-release)

Re: Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk

Every time I go to see a film in IMAX 3D and I see the trailer for this, I get more and more excited to see it. Can't wait.

:eek WOW!! :eek

Yep.

spitfires.jpg

I just can't be excited for anything Nolan writes anymore. It's usually convoluted or unsatisfying or both, unless he has a co-writer that isn't his brother.

Judging from the trailer, their Bf 109 isn't correct. The E model had clipped wings, I seem to discern the round wingtips of later models.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Judging from the trailer, their Bf 109 isn't correct. The E model had clipped wings, I seem to discern the round wingtips of later models.

You're right.
Maybe they just couldn't find a flyable E, for whatever reason.
Mildly annoying, but it's a small enough detail that it won't detract from my enjoyment of it.
Like the beaded dog-tag chains in Saving Private Ryan. Great movie, but those beads make me seethe with rage :lol

You're right.
Maybe they just couldn't find a flyable E, for whatever reason.
Mildly annoying, but it's a small enough detail that it won't detract from my enjoyment of it.
Like the beaded dog-tag chains in Saving Private Ryan. Great movie, but those beads make me seethe with rage [emoji38]
I just checked. They used a Hispano Buchon, a spanish-made licenses Messerschmitt, painted as a 109. Not only are the Buchons late- to post-war planes, but they use RR V-engines. The german 109 used the DB 601 to 605 A-engine (upside-down V , actually)
Thus, the Buchon's top-cowling is completely different, as is the oil-cooler intake. They're truly ugly compared to the elegant 109s.
#sad :(

For comparison: a Buchon and a 109E

c5a2a0f26d8f537c73d83e67fb4d05dd.jpg

fd034894d716d06b58e9db37dc5534e7.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sounds like Nolan is sticking with using real world stuff wherever possible. Using actual flying vintage aircraft is pretty cool even if not quite exact.

Just saw the new trailer.

Ok. It's starting to become a little more clear. Watching the previous trailers, I thought this was going to be some deep thinking war movie about soldiers on an island who have been abandoned to die and that the world around them is trying to make them accept it, allies and enemies alike. Like I thought Mark Rylance's character was sending Cillian Murphy's character back to Dunkirk to die rather than flee like a coward. I seriously thought that's what was going on!

Just saw the new trailer.

Ok. It's starting to become a little more clear. Watching the previous trailers, I thought this was going to be some deep thinking war movie about soldiers on an island who have been abandoned to die and that the world around them is trying to make them accept it, allies and enemies alike. Like I thought Mark Rylance's character was sending Cillian Murphy's character back to Dunkirk to die rather than flee like a coward. I seriously thought that's what was going on!

You could have seen the first trailer and Googled "Dunkirk" to find out what it was about... ;) I've actually been surprised/depressed how many people I know have no idea about the evacuation at Dunkirk. I know I'm a history nerd, but still...

--Jonah

You could have seen the first trailer and Googled "Dunkirk" to find out what it was about... ;) I've actually been surprised/depressed how many people I know have no idea about the evacuation at Dunkirk. I know I'm a history nerd, but still...

--Jonah

Hopefully, as good films can do, this opens some peoples eyes to what and why it happened, even if it is stylised somewhat etc. :thumbsup

According to wikipedia there are only 9 airworthy 109s in the world. Six of those are Buchons, two are E models, and one G. I guess in that case the Buchons are better than CGI. Most viewers of the movie wouldn't know the difference between a 109 and a FW 190. :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back