Titanfall MCOR Pilot - Costume and Equipment with 3d print downloads

Re: Titanfall Equipment Thread - Data Knife, Arc Grenade, Jump Kit

u7DEICLl.jpg

I've noted that the pilots all seem to have caribeaners attached to the front of their armor, presumably for ziplining (in the first game) or whatever. After looking on Amazon for a bit, I was not finding square, chunky caribeaners that fit the look of what I was after, so I went ahead and modeled a quick static part up for printing. Sorry, it doesn't actually clip, but it's just designed to have a loop of fabric sewn through it and onto the armor.

C9bdkOql.jpg

Prints nice enough, though.

n1nGtLQl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I masked the LEDs on the arc grenade off, then sprayed the whole thing with a rough silver coat that is apparently intended for hubcaps or something. It gave the grenade a bit of a rough finish, which is what I'm after in this instance because it's mass-produced military hardware. The plugs were wrapped in tape after this step, which was actually less tedious than I thought it was going to be.

CXOhFf1l.jpg

I laid down a few coats of Duplicolor Electric Blue over the top of the grenade, then masked the rim line around the top. The handle got the same treatment.

7qxcaD2l.jpg

jC8nktel.jpg

PNLdy0Bl.jpg

I sprayed some Rustoleum Deep Forest Green Camouflage spray paint over the body of the grenade in 3 coats, then tried putting a matte sealer over it to keep it firmly on the body of the grenade.

6K1p1oOl.jpg

I started adding some washes overtop of the green once I thought it had dried sufficiently (overnight), using burnt umber oil paints thinned with mineral spirits. Unfortunately...

GjltkYCl.jpg

... the green coat started coming right off, even through the matte sealer. Woops. Fortunately, I have plenty of appropriately-colored miniature paints from my wargaming days that matched the body of the grenade, so I stippled those on manually over the spots where the blue was showing through.

It's not perfect. It's far from it. I'm not very good at painting these days. Still, it's done!

wHTl7IFl.jpg

Z24ZQQql.jpg

bid9Wpl.gif

4d3BDVl.gif

I uploaded a video to Youtube for anyone who cares to hear the sound effects with it.

Data Knife is next on the list of things to finish.

While I've been working on other things (and also, you know, my day job) I've had my 3d printer humming along producing parts in the background for the jump kit.

The 16-neopixel rings fit nicely into the holder I modeled up for them inside the thruster, and the etched acrylic disc I have made looks like it'll work for diffusing the light.

I was a bit concerned about the proximity of the LEDs to the acrylic disc, since if they're too close they'll be individually visible. To combat this, I modeled up a quick spacer that sits in the cavity on the holster, which pushes the disc a comfortable distance away (and also adds a neat rocket detail for anyone looking!)

Today I finished a 45-hour print of the left third of the canister. Relieved to see that it came out okay!

Everything fits nicely, though I have a lot of cleanup work to do.

I also started remodeling a few other parts on the canister - particularly, the right half now has four cutouts. These will be inserts for miniature rocker switches - specifically, these Cherry mini ones, which will be used to control certain parts of my pilot costume.

With regard to the entire pilot costume I'm contemplating, I figured the jump pack would be a great place to conceal a battery pack for a number of the lights and other systems in the costume (helmet fans, chest lights, etc), so I started working on the main canister body to make the interior easily accessible. I modeled a quick 'hatch' on the side of the thruster that will be against my body with a handle.

I need to either design a hinge mechanism to go up at the top, or punch some holes in the top seam so I can use a small metal hinge from a hardware store or something.

Will you be selling these? I'd be so down for a set of all of these beautiful toys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will you be selling these? I'd be so down for a set of all of these beautiful toys

Agreed. I'd love to see at least a kit. I don't have a 3d printer yet, but I'd love to assemble some of these!

I've added the code used for the Data Knife and Arc Grenade to my site for anyone who cares to follow along.

I have no idea what any of that means, I see the same perplexing info programming the electronics for the 1/350 Enterprise models. I must learn the basics by the end of the year, because this board has shown me my game is weeeeeeak. This build is amazing.

Much as I would like to, these fall into the category of being too-much-labor. Nobody would want to pay for what the time-cost of actually wiring and assembling these things up would be, let alone the time required to clean up 3d prints or make molds of the parts.

Had a bit of a false start on printing the other half of the canister...

... but after a few settings tweaks we're back in business and I've got about 28 hours in on the present print. I haven't really felt like sitting down and finishing the dataknife in the last day or two, but I've devoted my creative energy to another fun part:

CRq7MKhl.jpg

HfQX2Rnl.jpg

htbZUhHl.jpg

Rendition of the Smart Pistol from Titanfall 1, rather than the one from Titanfall 2. I don't like the look of the T2 one nearly as much, the weird angular barrel is offputting. I'm actually having a hard time keeping this mesh under control, as the boolean operations for combining components on it are getting really stupid really fast with the knurled textures I've modeled. That said, I wanted to push myself to get as accurate a recreation as I could, and I'm getting there.

5WmfQnTl.jpg

Attachments

• CRq7MKhl.jpg
    CRq7MKhl.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 80
  • HfQX2Rnl.jpg
    HfQX2Rnl.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 101
  • htbZUhHl.jpg
    htbZUhHl.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 5WmfQnTl.jpg
    5WmfQnTl.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 111

Much as I would like to, these fall into the category of being too-much-labor. Nobody would want to pay for what the time-cost of actually wiring and assembling these things up would be, let alone the time required to clean up 3d prints or make molds of the parts.

I hear ya. What about a trade? ;)

Are you a Deadpool fan at all? Check out my Interest thread if you are and maybe we can work something out if it catches your fancy!

This is blowing my mind! One of my favorite games and you're bringing it right into reality! Nice work! Might I ask which 3d modeling program you're using?
Can't wait to see more!

I hear ya. What about a trade? ;)

Are you a Deadpool fan at all? Check out my Interest thread if you are and maybe we can work something out if it catches your fancy!

I'm a Deadpool fan, but maybe not to the extent that I want to add that stuff to my collection - which is not to say that the stuff doesn't look fantastic. I lack the natural charisma to really connect with the character. ;)

For what it's worth, I think at the end of this process I will have at least one extra finished data knife with electronics that I plan on selling, just because I painted a version and wasn't happy with it but was able to strip the paint off without damaging anything.

This is blowing my mind! One of my favorite games and you're bringing it right into reality! Nice work! Might I ask which 3d modeling program you're using?
Can't wait to see more!

3d Studio Max. Not an ideal program for some of this stuff, but it's what I know the UI in best, so I'm sticking with it.

Speaking of which, a bit more progress on the smart pistol. I will be posting files for the 'basic' non-electronics version shortly for people who want a static prop, but I've been occupied working on the 'advanced' model, and I think I'm shooting for the following feature set:

• Working safety switch to turn the gun electronics on and off.
  • Working trigger action for lights.
  • Sound via speakers installed in the barrel for firing and lock-on audio.
  • Working laser sight on the mounting rails.
  • Working flashlight on the mounting rails.
  • Easy to paint, meaning components can be separated and masked for spray paint/airbrushing without a ton of fiddly work.

To that end, I spent the better part of a day cleaning up the base model from all the boolean messes I made. Once I got the model cleaned up, I started working on the mechanical actions of things using parts I have lying around my workbench, since I can take accurate measurements of these things.

The safety was the biggest head-scratcher. I wanted to be able to use the paddle like an actual safety on a real gun to engage the power from the 9v battery in the handle, but that requires either a rotary switch that only moves, like, 10 degrees, or some other way of doing it. After a while of brainstorming, here's a look at the safety action I've come up with:

kWNpx1x.gif

The slide switch used in this instance is a MS12AFW01, which just so happened to have a 3d model available which made the job a little easier. I'm not sure if the switch resistance is going to be enough, by itself, to keep the safety in a fixed position, but I'll engineer something if I have to tweak it.

The trigger, on the other hand, uses a snap-action switch I had lying around, and a 10mm spring.

Agmcrf9.gif

The flashlight mount has been hollowed out so I can hopefully build a 'flashlight'-esque assembly with a lens and an ultra-bright white LED, while the 'laser' module has been hollowed out to accommodate a red laser diode from Adafruit.

I'm finding the engineering on this to be kind of fun, but there's a lot of work still to do so I can lay out space for the arduino, an amp, a speaker, and figure out how to install the 9v battery into position in the magazine and then have the magazine be removable.

Im about 3 hours into Titanfall2. You are killing the props. And I love the Dad Bod 3-D render hahahah. My last costume is an Apollo 12 Lunar suit......gotta find a costume that hides the miles ha.

R8SNcgYl.jpg

4xKZuNvl.jpg

HnzPQfVl.jpg

The gun breaks into five ‘main’ exterior shell components, with a number of other small, extra interior parts. This was built this way to make printing easier, so I could orient flat sides down onto my print bed and section it into smaller parts that would fit in my machine.

6SaDsAMl.jpg

If we dig into the cross-section of the gun, you will see that there have been a number of interior channels hollowed out to accommodate the electronics I have planned.

b5Ao1t7l.jpg

d5rH0VQl.jpg

And here’s a more exploded view of all of the gun’s components sectioned out for printing:

zjlZdqtl.jpg

For the sake of being thorough, here's a comprehensive list of parts I believe will be required:

While I can gladly go on at length with images of how the gun’s designed to operate, I felt it would be easier (and more instructive) to record a brief video doing exactly that.

R8SNcgYl.jpg

4xKZuNvl.jpg

HnzPQfVl.jpg

6SaDsAMl.jpg

b5Ao1t7l.jpg

d5rH0VQl.jpg

zjlZdqtl.jpg

Re: Titanfall Equipment Thread - Data Knife, Arc Grenade, Jump Kit, Smart Pistol

Y'er killing me... This is flippin' fantastic!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back