Best Raiders Fertility Idol.. Questions!

NSStudios

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What's up, guys! It has been quite a while since I've been active on here, so I have a couple questions about the Raiders of the Lost Ark Idol... I figure the best way to do this is to list off my questions and hope someone provides some answers :D!

First things first, I know there are plenty of threads on this subject, but I did not find the answers I was searching for and most of them were out of date by 5+ years. With that being said, I'd like to create a new thread with some up to date information for me and any other member who might be wondering. Thanks a lot guys and have a great day :)

1. Has there ever been an idol made for sale that has been cast from an original movie idol?
2. Has there ever been an idol cast from a "production made" idol?
3. Does a 100% accurate idol exist as of 2016?
4. If the answer to question 3 is "No", then what is setting apart all of the idols offered today from being 100% accurate? What details?
5. What is the most accurate idol to be produced as of 2016?

If you have pics, please attach them to your post if you can! I'd love to see them :).

Again, thank you guys for any potential answers and I can't wait to hear back from you guys :D

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the various versions to provide the answers you are looking for but you only created your thread 2 hours ago - give it some time and I'm sure the right people will reply.

Thank you for the advice. I guess I'm just worried that it will get lost in the many threads in this section of the forum.

1. Has there ever been an idol made for sale that has been cast from an original movie idol?
2. Has there ever been an idol cast from a "production made" idol?
3. Does a 100% accurate idol exist as of 2016?
4. If the answer to question 3 is "No", then what is setting apart all of the idols offered today from being 100% accurate? What details?
5. What is the most accurate idol to be produced as of 2016?

1) Yes... there are TONS of recast from the stunt idol (identifiable by the down-turned corners of the mouth). The "Holy Grail" of idols, though, is the hero idol. Many guys (me included) have made there own versions based on the hero prop, and they're all a little different. I believe the only "cast from original" hero replica made was by Gobler here at the RPF. I don't think he's making them any more though.

3) This is the RPF... NOTHING is 100%! ;)

4) The big things to look out for when shopping for an idol: avoid the down-turned mouth (unless you want a stunt version), headband (the hairline should be smooth without a band separating the hair from the forehead) and pupils (the original did not have pupils though some replicators have included this detail for various reasons).

5) Honestly, I'm not sure what's available at the moment. I know Ozymandius makes them, in the least.

Hope that helps a little,
Magnoli

Indy Magnoli is correct. One large thing to look out for is the height of the idol and the babie's face between her legs. The height should be 7 3/4"-8" tall. The babies face is always distorted due to either resculpting or a bad mold.

Gobler is the best idol.

Idol%20eyes5comparison.jpg

1) Yes... there are TONS of recast from the stunt idol (identifiable by the down-turned corners of the mouth). The "Holy Grail" of idols, though, is the hero idol. Many guys (me included) have made there own versions based on the hero prop, and they're all a little different. I believe the only "cast from original" hero replica made was by Gobler here at the RPF. I don't think he's making them any more though.

3) This is the RPF... NOTHING is 100%! ;)

4) The big things to look out for when shopping for an idol: avoid the down-turned mouth (unless you want a stunt version), headband (the hairline should be smooth without a band separating the hair from the forehead) and pupils (the original did not have pupils though some replicators have included this detail for various reasons).

5) Honestly, I'm not sure what's available at the moment. I know Ozymandius makes them, in the least.

Hope that helps a little,
Magnoli
yA little? That helps tons! Thanks so much for the reply mt friend :). I've seen a few "Gobler" idols by doing some quick google searching, do you know the story behind them? How did he get his hands on the Hero idol to make castings? That sounds almost impossible! Or do you mean something else by your statement?

Well, I do suppose you are correct with the answer to #3, but if gobler's idol was cast from the hero doesn't that make it 100%?

Thank you again for the other answers, as well! You have pretty much answered all I wanted to know besides those other questions that I asked about Gobler's idol :)

- - - Updated - - -

Indy Magnoli is correct. One large thing to look out for is the height of the idol and the babie's face between her legs. The height should be 7 3/4"-8" tall. The babies face is always distorted due to either resculpting or a bad mold.

Gobler is the best idol.

View attachment 690455

Thanks for the reply! Height of the idol and baby's face, got it! So can you maybe also provide me with some background on Gobler's Idol? Its origin, etc? Also, amazing comparison! That thing is spot on!!!

Last edited:
The history of the Gobler idol is that it is cast off an idol from the archives with some cleanup done. Mainly, the teeth were cleaned up and the baby's face. The baby's face is not accurate though but it is the ONLY idol out there that never suffered from shrinkage. Most idols will be an inch or more shorter.

Here is my Gobler idol next to another idol that was selling here about 8 years ago.

IMG_4459.jpgIMG_4456.jpgIMG_4460.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a comprehensive list of the idols we know of:

View attachment 690461

Wow! Never noticed all those inaccuracies until now.. thank you!

The history of the Gobler idol is that it is cast off an idol from the archives with some cleanup done. Mainly, the teeth were cleaned up and the baby's face. The baby's face is not accurate though but it is the ONLY idol out there that never suffered from shrinkage. Most idols will be an inch or more shorter.

Here is my Gobler idol next to another idol that was selling here about 8 years ago.

View attachment 690459View attachment 690458View attachment 690460

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a comprehensive list of the idols we know of:

View attachment 690461

Oh my.. the difference there is crazy! Do you still own your Gobler idol? I know if I got one I would never let that sucker go lol. Is the one he cast the "jade" looking one that the propstore had photos of a while back? If not, how was he able to get an authentic idol from the archives?! That is amazing! Thank you both so much. Awesome job and you both answered my questions perfectly :D

Also, the last image isn't working for some reason or another :confused

Those of us luckily enough to have a Gobler Idol will not be letting them go easily. I've got mine on a pedestal surrounded by booby traps.

And for a perfectly great reason! After doing some more searching it is for sure the most accurate out there, as you guys have already stated several times. Freakin nuts! You have one?! I would love to see some pics of yours if you don't mind :). If you've already posted pictures in another thread, I'd love to be linked to them if you could.

Also, after doing some searches on yourprops, I found this listing:

Shot%202016-12-13%20at%2010.42.43%20PM_zpspheeeyem.png

It claims to be a Gobler idol, but has the pupils. Did he do another version with pupils, or is this not his work? I suppose it may have been possible that the owner drilled the eyes himself?

Also, these idols sound super rare. How many were even made?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. At one point I had three...

Here is that last image:

View attachment 690463

Holy cow! Super thorough, thanks! And three?! That's amazing!

And for a perfectly great reason! After doing some more searching it is for sure the most accurate out there, as you guys have already stated several times. Freakin nuts! You have one?! I would love to see some pics of yours if you don't mind :). If you've already posted pictures in another thread, I'd love to be linked to them if you could.

Also, after doing some searches on yourprops, I found this listing:

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums...hot 2016-12-13 at 10.42.43 PM_zpspheeeyem.png

It claims to be a Gobler idol, but has the pupils. Did he do another version with pupils, or is this not his work? I suppose it may have been possible that the owner drilled the eyes himself?

Also, these idols sound super rare. How many were even made?

!

Jeff (aka Gobler) did 3 runs of these. The first run was about 8-10 idols. A few of which had drilled pupils. That was when we thought the stunt (Belloq) idol had pupils...which it might have ahd painted on pupils. His second run was about 15 idols. Many of those had major degassing and bubbling of the chrome. His last run, which was about 8 years ago was about 18 idols. A few of those were to replace the bubbled chrome idols from the second run.

Yes, they are rare.

I would love to see a chart like Brad showed, but from production piece down, showing most accurate to least accurate on the market. There are a few missing as well on there. We have SSkunky, OZ's, The solid bronze ones offered here as well as Brandomack's offering.

Jeff (aka Gobler) did 3 runs of these. The first run was about 8-10 idols. A few of which had drilled pupils. That was when we thought the stunt (Belloq) idol had pupils...which it might have ahd painted on pupils. His second run was about 15 idols. Many of those had major degassing and bubbling of the chrome. His last run, which was about 8 years ago was about 18 idols. A few of those were to replace the bubbled chrome idols from the second run.

Yes, they are rare.

Thanks again! Always happy to learn new stuff like this. You are insanely knowledgeable about this stuff, and I commend you for that!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back