Best glue for acrylic? (Supports inside display cases)

superjedi

Sr Member
Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone has experience working with acrylic.
I'll be getting an acrylic case shortly for one of my new resin guns and want to build some custom supports inside to hold it.
I can get acrylic tube or rod no problem, and I can cut and polish it just fine, but I've never tried to bond it before. Basically, I want to cut some rod to length, and attach it to the base of the display case.
Are there specific glues made for acrylics? I want some kind of strong, permanent bond.
Thanks for any advice.

The best is "Weld On" #4 by IPS it is what the acrylic case makers use. Is like water so you should get a syringe or some type of fine tip to apply it.

SERIOUSLY- do it, otherwise the solvent will run down the inside and ruin your case. :unsure

Place the part on the surface you want it bonded to, then apply to where the two pieces meet. Allow capillary action to pull the solvent in between the two. If you can see outside the case at the bottom of the part, you will see them becoming one plus some air bubbles. Push to force the air out. If it works correctly, you will be able to see inside of the part.

You may want to try on some scrap first to get the technique down. As I said, this stuff is the best, I use it for styrene as well.

Good luck :)

Dave

What he said. If you have a TAP Plastics you can get it there. Stay away from the Weldon #3. The formula for that was changed and doesn't really work at all anymore.

Cool!
Weld-on #4. . . got it. There's a local place that carries a lot of supplies for working with acrylic. I'll see if they carry that.
Thanks, guys!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back