Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Still the main journey the plans took was being beamed from the empires base on scarif to a rebel ship. Who cares if it was handed 10 metres along a hallway to a ship inside a ship when its main journey was to be beamed miles to leave the base on scarif.sheesh.

Was Vader supposed to say "The plans were beamed to a ship that was holding this ship,then handed from one rebel to another while I slaughtered them only to just make it to this ship before I got hold of them".

Ben

Last edited:
He's part of the story group though. Everyone said that everything SW related would be perfect now with no bad info and no bad stories.
I think that one bothers me more than anything. The entire story of rogue one should have been written back from that point .

And truthfully, rogue one was made as an extension of a new hope. (Which is pretty arrogant, if you ask me)

So they REALLY needed to get their plot and tone right

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Even when you watch the battle above Scarif you see several ships that look like the Tantive IV (Corellian Corvettes aka blockade runners) The point is NO PLANS WERE FOUND on Raddus's ship, the Profundity. They were erased as soon as they had the disc made. The Imperials found NOTHING on Raddus's ship. How did Vader see the disc with all those people in front of him and why didn't he force pull it like he did their blasters in the scene? And The point of them using the Tantive IV is the ship is supposed to have diplomatic immunity. It was a bold faced lie in 1977, and bold faced lie in 2016. Hence "Don't act so surprised your highness, you weren't on any mercy mission this time." As Pablo said in tweet just hours ago. "It's that people think we don't, you know, double-check this ****."

Still the main journey the plans took was being beamed from the empires base on scarif to a rebel ship. Who cares if it was handed 10 metres along a hallway to a ship inside a ship when its main journey was to be beamed miles to leave the base on scarif.sheesh.

Was Vader supposed to say "The plans were beamed to a ship that was holding this ship,then handed from one rebel to another while I slaughtered them only to just make it to this ship before I got hold of them".

Ben

"Several transmissions were beamed to the ship that housed this ship by rebel spies..."

You guys are looking at this from a post hoc perspective, though. I mean, yes, you can view the events on screen "from a certain point of view" that makes the words Vader says and Leia's defiance still make sense. Or, put another way, it does not directly contradict anything. So in that sense, good job Pablo. I do believe they check that stuff to make sure it doesn't conflict with what's already established canon.

But I also think the story group isn't rigidly restricting the filmmakers so that they can only do things a certain way, even if that way would've made more sense. It's not that Vader's and Leia's lines don't make sense now. It's that they would have made more sense if the sequence had been shot differently, and it would've fit better in continuity terms.

However, it would've screwed up the pacing of the film by dragging it out for another 5 minutes just to make the two points line up perfectly, and I just don't think they cared at that point.

Like I said, cinematically, what's on screen works better for the Rogue One film. The pacing's better, you're invested in the right characters, and they get to the general end point that they need to reach (i.e., Leia in possession of the plans, pursued by Vader) to tie the two films directly together.

But you cannot tell me that it wouldn't have made more sense to have the plans get on to a ship somehow, that ship escapes, Vader pursues it out of system, it transmits (beams) the plans to Leia, and then Vader shows up, blows up the ship, and starts chasing the Tantive IV. That would've made a lot more sense story-wise than what we see on screen, although it would have come at the cost of keeping the film as exciting and fast-paced as it could be.

He's part of the story group though. Everyone said that everything SW related would be perfect now with no bad info and no bad stories.

I stopped caring about what people say is canon in about 2000 or so. I make my own canon now. I mean, I think in general that the story group has cleaned up a lot of stuff and managed the property well. I think Hidalgo & Co. have done a bang-up job overall, at least based on the material I've consumed. I just think that in this case, there was a better way to do it from a "narrative fit" point of view, if not necessarily from a cinematic point of view.

Alternatively, they could've done a sequence during the end credits and one right after. So, the battle of Scarif ends with the transmission making it to the escaping ship (not necessarily Raddus' ship), and that ship hypering away with Vader in hot pursuit, roll credits. As the credits roll, we cut to the ship jumping out of hyperspace and we cut to the bridge, where the captain says "There it is. The Tantive IV. Begin transmission immediately." and back to the credits. As the credits come to a close, we see the Avenger (Vader's ship) drop out of hyperspace almost on top of the ship that escaped and fire several massive blasts at it, destroying it. We cut to the interior of the Tantive IV, as an assistant hands the disc to Captain Antilles, who orders the ship to jump to Tatooine, hands the disc to Leia, and we have the "What is it?" "Hope" line, followed by a shot of the Tantive IV jumping out, and then a shot on the bridge of the Avenger as one of the pit crew says "We've tracked them. Analysis indicates they're headed to a remote system. Tatooine." Vader orders the jump, we see the Avenger jump out, and fade to black.

Or whatever. Like I said, there are ways that the ending could've been shot to make the Vader/Leia exchange make more sense. It's not gobblydeegook now, it doesn't break continuity, it's just one of those kind of "eh...that could've been done better" moments that pop up in any inter-connected framework of films.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting aside the disposition of the Tantative inside the Profundity and the semantics of what was "beamed" where I never thought Vader was aware that the plans were in the physical possession of the Rebel fleet troopers he was fighting at the door.

As I've said before, they could have had the battle take place at the end of the second act of the film. Then the third act could have been a tighter, narrow escape chapter.

Or the battle could have simply been a distraction, while the files are being stolen elsewhere.

As it stands, the ending kinda reminded of independence day.

Wouldn't it have been cool if the heroes escaped scarif by posing as imperial military? And that's how they got the files out?

Last edited:
Putting aside the disposition of the Tantative inside the Profundity and the semantics of what was "beamed" where I never thought Vader was aware that the plans were in the physical possession of the Rebel fleet troopers he was fighting at the door.

That, however, raises the question of why he's even trying to board the Tantive IV, then. Like, if he's not pursuing the plans, why isn't he storming the bridge of the Profundity? Why's he screwing around with a blockade runner? So, the assumption must be that the plans are either headed to or already on the Tantive IV, and Vader wants to get on and stop it.

You can watch the Vader scene on youtube ( it was posted in this thread!) and it looks like the trooper with the card is just banging on the door and reaching through the hole to get it open. I can definitely see how Vader has no idea plans are on physical media being handed to anyone else.

That, however, raises the question of why he's even trying to board the Tantive IV, then. Like, if he's not pursuing the plans, why isn't he storming the bridge of the Profundity? Why's he screwing around with a blockade runner? So, the assumption must be that the plans are either headed to or already on the Tantive IV, and Vader wants to get on and stop it.

Good point. Why is he even there if he doesn't know where the plans are? That would be a coincidence of Lucas proportions.

As I've said before, they could have had the battle take place at the end of the second act of the film. Then the third act could have been a tighter, narrow escape chapter.

Or the battle could have simply been a distraction, while the files are being stolen elsewhere.

As it stands, the ending kinda reminded of independence day

It's pretty bad and pointless, but I think there where more possibilities to LIKE it than ID4 2.

it's just another reboot type movie where it feels like more than one person is running the charge and not one person in charge knows what it wants the damn movie to be.
One is concentrating on making it diverse. one is concentrating on a twitter tirade to promote it. one is concentrating on throwing in all sorts of cool star wars images that make the trailer and not the final cut. one wants to do a gritty middle east war movie complete with market place that feels like it lacks droids and creatures (unlike TFA desert cleaning scene).....

ugh.

when things are made with expectations, you loose the fun and spontaneity of naturalness.

The new turtles show was exactly the same way. first season, great. then it felt like five different people stepped in and the show was run by committee and it fell apart pretty quickly and became almost unwatchable by season 3.

Good point. Why is he even there if he doesn't know where the plans are? That would be a coincidence of Lucas proportions.

I need to check the picture of the Profundity in the visual dictionary again but it makes sense that any shuttle bays or entrances would be in the same area as the Tantive dock. There would not be any shuttle entrance near the bridge. Vader steps onto the ship and sees a bunch of rebels. Vader does not ask questions he just starts doing a typical Vader and just starts killing everyone in his path.

What karmajay said and it's entirely feasible Vader has already determined the plans have been transferred to the Tantative and he is trying to board the ship to stop them. But that doesn't imply he's aware the plans are at the end of the hall in a troopers hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
What @karmajay said and it's entirely feasible Vader has already determined the plans have been transferred to the Tantative and he is trying to board the ship to stop them. But that doesn't imply he's aware the plans are at the end of the hall in a troopers hand.

I suppose that's fair. But it still strikes me that folks are going to a decent amount of effort to explain why the lines still work, given what's on the screen, and to me, that's always a weakness in films. Basically, if you have to explain the joke after the fact, maybe the joke wasn't as good as it should've been. If we have to appeal to some external argument (or worse still, an external document like a comic or novel) to explain things, then to me, that's a weak spot in the film. The film should be self-contained, and the answers to questions should be self-evident.

This is a relatively minor point that I've focused on, though, and it's the kind of thing a general audience won't really notice, but for those of us who really know the original Star Wars film, it's something that requires an explanation, I think, and therefore is perhaps not as elegant a solution as we might hope for from a narrative perspective. From a cinematic perspective, though, as I said, I understand why they went with what's on screen. It works better for purposes of Rogue One as a film. It just doesn't work as well for purposes of telling a coherent story across all the films together as a whole. It's not a fatal flaw, but it is, in my opinion, a flaw that could've been handled better. Just not better in a way that would work as well on screen, given the goals of the production.

Or, it could be:

There's a ship docked with this one. Make sure it doesn't get away, then interrogate the crew & search the databanks for the plans.
Ship gets away, but they start tracking it. Then they check for the plans or any transmissions. Nothing, so the plans must be on the ship. QED.

And, yes, the "beamed to this ship" bit is clumsy and needs to be justified. But, Leia was always full of it with the "This is a diplomatic mission..." bit - they were already firing back at the Star Destroyer! It's also a REALLY minor discontinuity in the Star Wars saga, when you compare some of the others.

Last edited:

The Imperial onboard Vader's ship says it has been disabled. The Profundity isn't going anywhere making the Tantive IV the most logical choice for the plans to go next - so that's where Vader is headed to. The filmmakers appear to have wanted to surprise us with the Tantive IV, so this wasn't really spelled out to us.

The same Imperial talking to Vader on the bridge of the Avenger, also says that the Rebel command ship "received transmissions from the surface." Which makes this whole bit even more baffling. I could have (and still do - to a point) bought the idea that the Imperials tracked the general direction of the transmissions being beamed and they thought the big Rebel flagship received them; but then changed that to the Tantive IV when it appeared otherwise (to them at least).

That's confusing... let me try to sum it up. The Empire thought the Profundity received the plans, but changed that to the Tantive IV when they couldn't find evidence of it on the Profundity computers. Obviously, this could have been all made a bit clearer - but, I don't think the general audience is going to debate this is nearly as much.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back