Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

It's like Tarkin looked right from certain angles, yet on others he did not. If they had reduced his part by at least half, maybe it wouldn't have been as noticeable.

Leia not so much.

the problem i had was with the voice. i think the v oice for leia was spot on from what i remember. but the voice for tarkin not so much.
i'm assuming it was different than the Rebels and clone wars guy.

I went and saw the film again and have a little different perspective from the first time watching and my distractions.

Because I do video work and I tend to be very technical when I sit, watch and listen to something, it can take me away from enjoying a movie more because I'm so obsessively looking for things. I got to just enjoy it this time and found it to be far better than the first viewing.

The big things being Tarkin and Leia is what heightened my visual sense to look at every darn thing under a microscope and over analyze. Obviously Cushing has been gone for a long time and so naturally I am trying to pick apart everything. The odd thing this time was I just decided to watch it and not think about it. Well Tarkin actually looked better than I first observed and didn't take away from the film nearly as much. Leia was about the same. I don't know how to best explain it, but it was all round a lot better to watch this time.

Even Vader was better than I had scrutinized over, though still some of that neck stuff still stands out, but overall I have to just say it was better the 2nd time not sitting to look for things.

Sure Tarkin wasn't 100% perfect, but I have to say more than last time it looked great. I imagine by home release it will probably look even better not on a giant 40 foot screen where you can see everything in plain sight with nowhere to hide imperfections.

Rogue One is overall an extremely solid film and I hope they explore more anthology stories with new characters.

Back from my second viewing and wondering why we didn't see a shot of the Death Star entering or exiting hyperspace. Ive always wanted to see that.

Ditto! When I heard the call to enter Hyperspace I got excited that we'd see that, and then nope.

How many people would have freaked out about the DS going into hyperspace, though? "that's not what it would have looked like", etc.
Regarding Tarkin and Leia, I totally bought it. By that, I mean in the same way I bought that Tauntauns are real, and that AT-ATs aren't actually stop motion models. I know that none of it is actually real, but I always do my best to watch through my eight year old 1977 eyes even though 41 years have passed since then.

I went and saw the film again and have a little different perspective from the first time watching and my distractions.

Because I do video work and I tend to be very technical when I sit, watch and listen to something, it can take me away from enjoying a movie more because I'm so obsessively looking for things. I got to just enjoy it this time and found it to be far better than the first viewing.

The big things being Tarkin and Leia is what heightened my visual sense to look at every darn thing under a microscope and over analyze. Obviously Cushing has been gone for a long time and so naturally I am trying to pick apart everything. The odd thing this time was I just decided to watch it and not think about it. Well Tarkin actually looked better than I first observed and didn't take away from the film nearly as much. Leia was about the same. I don't know how to best explain it, but it was all round a lot better to watch this time.

Even Vader was better than I had scrutinized over, though still some of that neck stuff still stands out, but overall I have to just say it was better the 2nd time not sitting to look for things.

Sure Tarkin wasn't 100% perfect, but I have to say more than last time it looked great. I imagine by home release it will probably look even better not on a giant 40 foot screen where you can see everything in plain sight with nowhere to hide imperfections.

Rogue One is overall an extremely solid film and I hope they explore more anthology stories with new characters.

When I watched TFA the first time, I obsessed over every scene, looking at it thinking "was that rubbish, how rubbish is this going to be, it wasn't rubbish, that was ok". When I came out I was in a positive mood and had ultimately enjoyed the film. The second time, knowing I was watching a decent film I could just take it in and enjoy it.

I need to see R1 again in that more relaxed mood. The Christmas release time is killing me though, but it should still be in theatres come new year.

Seeing it a second time last night, I appreciated the music more than the first time. It's not bad, especially knowing that it was a four-week work. However, I still think it should have quoted the original 1977 score more than it did, especially aboard the DS. When the music changed once they got aboard Leia's ship - that was magic.

And, it needed an opening musical flourish with crawl. That beginning SUCKED. It's STAR WARS, for ******'s sake.

Seeing it a second time last night, I appreciated the music more than the first time. It's not bad, especially knowing that it was a four-week work. However, I still think it should have quoted the original 1977 score more than it did, especially aboard the DS. When the music changed once they got aboard Leia's ship - that was magic.

And, it needed an opening musical flourish with crawl. That beginning SUCKED. It's STAR WARS, for ******'s sake.

I think it managed without the crawl. But I would really have liked the "along time ago" fade into the R1 logo with a big fanfare. I reckon that would've kept it similar enough but different.

It did NOT need an opening crawl people .

Am I the only one that remembers this entire movie IS an opening crawl.

What would it say ???

You want to know the details of what was going on before WATCH REBELS .

There is not anything to set up this time .
If it was not clear before it is now ANH started right in the middle of a storyline so they had to set it up . plus George wanted to emulate Flash Gorden and the like .

Last edited:
unless you want to do a big (tmnt reference, brace yourself for those who snarkily hate them ;o)) technodrome through dimension X portal type effect to differentiate it, it'd probably look just like any other ship going through hyperspace.

I'm wondering what kind of ecological effect it'd have on the planet it's arriving at though. it's essentially another moon arriving in sequential orbit or close too it ;o).

I can't think of how they'd do the Death Star coming through hyperspace that didn't make it look diminutive or ridiculous. I didn't need to see that.
Well, to answer this and respond to the comment about the film's lackluster 3D effects (which I tend to agree about).......

How about the very opening shot of the film being just..... stars in empty space, then WHOOOOOOOSH, in comes the Death Star out of hyperspace directly at the camera, in the style of those horrible "3D jumping out of the screen at you" horror movies. :lol

Picturing something like that one Star Destroyer shot in Force Awakens, but of much greater magnitude :lol

I never thought about the image of the death Star entering hyperspace. They missed a real opportunity to wow us on that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back