Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Thoughts...

Biggs canon -- Luke mentions his Toshi conversation with Biggs in ANH when he says, "Biggs is right! I'm never getting off this planet." Or something like that.

How much time between Tantive at Scarif and Tantive at Tatooine --- Unknown, but I still dont think it was very long, since Leia had changed neither her hair nor her clothes.

A.J.

But that conversation could have happened at any time. Bottom line is unless they edit that sequence back into ANH it's not canon.

I mean there had to be enough time for Vader to get back to his shuttle, back to a Star Destroyer, and for that Star Destroyer to then follow and catch up with the Tantive and be in mid battle. Was there a hyperspace jump in between there from Scarif to Tatooine? No idea.

But that conversation could have happened at any time. Bottom line is unless they edit that sequence back into ANH it's not canon.

I guess the novelizations aren't canon then? I looked into a bit and didn't see them listed as a canon source.

I guess the novelizations aren't canon then? I looked into a bit and didn't see them listed as a canon source.

They have been pretty clear it's films, CW, Rebels, and all new books and comics. The previous novelezations are canon only insofar as they don't contradict events of the films.

Oh, not disputing that at all. My only point in noting it was that if the Toshi scene were canon, then it would help pin Biggs' timeline down a bit, as far as him being at Scarif. Since the Toshi scene takes place about the same time we "meet" Luke in ANH, it puts Biggs on Tatooine at that time.

A.J.

Computer generated imagery is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural.

Personally I think it's a bit creepy, but I really really liked it. I'm fact I would prefer if they used that method for Han in the Han Solo movie.

I do NOT want them to do this with a younger Han Solo! There's really no need IMHO.

I have no issue recasting an actor for a anthology film, they just need to act the part. As long as wardrobe, makeup. Hair and lighting are correct; it's all about the acting.

Case in point, Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash (Walk the Line). Acting, good writing, era look from wardrobe and you got a winner.

All that said, I like how they handled Tarkin for R1. Less so for Princess Leia.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I like it overall...

Of course totally cool to see old school hardware on screen again. Infusing of new designs was not over the top or distracting. Weird not having the opening scroll and fanfare. Sort of just "fell in" to the story, and took a while to begin to feel like a Star Wars story. But I liked the overall story structure of how the Mads character basically grew a heart and engineered the Achilles's Heel. (along with the additional detail as to how it would work to destroy the station). Lends more credence to Luke's ability to blow it up.

Mentioned above, I like the last 5-10 minutes and how well it connected with ANH.

Watched it at Cinepolis here in Orange County. Poor experience...

Multiple white starbursts all over the screen for the duration of the film due to a defect in the digital playback. Theater refunded only 50% of the ticket price since we watched the full film. I spent 15 minutes out of the auditorium negotiating with the managers over this. Ordered a second round of drinks and desert; server totally forgot. The moment he came with the bill (and apologized for forgetting), he was blocking my view of the Death Star firing on Scarif.

Thats been our experience there as well. I go to the Irvine Spectrum IMAX. Not as cushiony but you can't beat the screen and show.

I hope there's a crew of folks tasked with tweaking Tarkin and Leia (especially Leia) for future (re)release. This is one instance I might welcome a Special Edition.

I hope there's a crew of folks tasked with tweaking Tarkin and Leia (especially Leia) for future (re)release. This is one instance I might welcome a Special Edition.

Na....I'd say the main tweaking will be with the 3D effect......I've heard that it wasn't that great

The CG Characters will likely stay the same

J

It's like Tarkin looked right from certain angles, yet on others he did not. If they had reduced his part by at least half, maybe it wouldn't have been as noticeable.

Leia not so much.

There is always an improvement in VFX when the Blu ray comes out. Michael Douglas / Robert D Jr both looked more natural when I watched them on my TV and generally everything effects wise gets a boost and looks sharper and more integrated into the films.
Its whether Lucasfilm and ILM has the time to work on it a bit more before the DVD comes out at Easter. They've a pretty hefty schedule of films for 2017 , the three Marvels, Skull Island, GOTGII, Valerian ATCOATP, Transformers, Power Rangers and of course SWVIII!!! Not alot of breathing space I'd guess, but they do have the four subsidiaries now to distribute the workload around.
I'd like to think they would, just to get it perfect but I am still amazed they managed to make R1 as well as they did, seeing as its being said now that about a third of it was reshot back in the summer. I honestly couldn't fault nearly everything we saw on the screen, yes, perhaps Tarkin and Leia could be improved but how much extra work is it? And lets face it, even if they actually got Peter Cushing perfect you'd still be thrown by it as much as I was when I saw Michael and Robert as their younger selves and they are damn well done

Na....I'd say the main tweaking will be with the 3D effect......I've heard that it wasn't that great

The CG Characters will likely stay the same

J
If that's the case I predict that, in 30 years, some fans will take it upon themselves to fix Leia and Tarkin on their home computers (or whatever they're using in the future) and release it for free.

Last edited:
Thoughts...

Biggs canon -- Luke mentions his Toshi conversation with Biggs in ANH when he says, "Biggs is right! I'm never getting off this planet." Or something like that.

How much time between Tantive at Scarif and Tantive at Tatooine --- Unknown, but I still dont think it was very long, since Leia had changed neither her hair nor her clothes.

A.J.
The comment doesn't necessarily tie it down to that conversation.

There are lots of instances in Star Wars where they wear the same clothing for apparent long stretches of time. She's a Rebel and a Princess - it's quite possible that this is a normal look for her during and preceding ANH/R1.

Nothing is a canon when they decide it isn't. Anything that you don't see on the big screen is subject to change... and even the movies aren't totally safe from changes.

The comment doesn't necessarily tie it down to that conversation.

There are lots of instances in Star Wars where they wear the same clothing for apparent long stretches of time. She's a Rebel and a Princess - it's quite possible that this is a normal look for her during and preceding ANH/R1.

That's true, Luke and Han never change their clothes throughout ANH, the same goes for Empire after they leave Hoth, and throughout Jedi as well. I just chalk it up to them having multiples of the same outfits, that must just be what they do in the Star Wars universe, instead of owning multiple outfits of different designs they just own multiple sets of just a few different designs.

SO THANKFUL I went to the movie last night with some awesome friends :) :) :)

I was feeling bummed out about losing my job but having an awesome friend buy popcorn & movie tickets made my day :) :) :)

Surprisingly there weren't more different aliens....Loved seeing the "fish" creatures, the alien with the tentacles in the prison cell & the slimy mind-reading creature that went over the pilot! lol yes, I like seeing those disgusting slimy special effects because they are so unexpected. wish there would of been a couple more different species of aliens to spice things up on the other planets....but still it was good.

I agree with yaris that TFA & ESB had an even mix of comedy, fun and darkness.....that is the perfect formula that everyone wants.....but kind of only seen a little in Rogue One.

Not the kind of movie for everyone but I liked it.

- - - Updated - - -

so this is what I read that yaris was saying....it's on the first or second page...waaaaay back
My Review==Spoilers Below===

Overall the film is hit and miss. It was always going to be a struggle to introduce a new set of characters in an important part of an already told story, where you have to learn then, love them and feel bad when they all crook. I think the writer and director could have done a better job. I swear if Kasden had wrote it, it would have been better. TFA, ESB have such a even mix of comedy, fun and darkness, that Rogue One lacks in spades.

Overall it gets an 8, because the second half and end save it somewhat. I'd see it again, but wouldn't buy it on DVD

So was that guy at the end with Leia supposed to be Captain Antillies? Shouldnt he have had a British accent?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back