Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

That's awesome. OTOH, I notice that all of the other hangars are empty. It's a shame they couldn't throw in a few more ships into the nearby ones. Maybe one of the new cargos shuttles, or some TIE fighter racks.

It's a big hit, it will run in theaters for a year or more. Home video is expensive but there are some
video tape technologies coming soon we can afford in a few years, imagine watching Star Wars in your own home!
I can't even imagine that!

Oh wait, sorry, it's 2017, I'm good it's ok, I'm good.
Yeah yeah blu-ray, got it.

I used to really love 'making of' videos, but now that it's all just showing layer after layer after layer of CGI, it just doesn't really excite me anymore.
I was just remarking this the other day. I can see why movies these days don't have much making-of material. I was watching the 3hr making-of for Attack of the Clones on YouTube and when I got to the 2hr mark I realized something. It'd been all digital effects talk for the last half hour. And it's boring AF. I skipped ahead a half hour. Still more digital effects talk. Nobody wants to watch hours of guys in front of a screen clicking their mouse. Seriously, about an hour of the 3hr making-of doc is dedicated to digital effects. Maybe in 2002 when this stuff was more groundbreaking it was interesting, but today it's boring to watch. This is why practical effects are important. It gives actors something to respond to, and it gives the audience something to look at when they do behind the scenes promotional stuff. No doubt digital effects can be fascinating, but when they make up a third of your making-of video, it eventually becomes boring. That's the downside of CGI though. When you go back and look at how the movie was made, when there's too much CGI, it just becomes overwhelming for the viewer to watch the creation. Especially when it's an hour of nothing but the same discussions and same images being focused on. Watching two people interacting in front of a green screen for an hour isn't my idea of a making-of.

Last edited:
I used to really love 'making of' videos, but now that it's all just showing layer after layer after layer of CGI, it just doesn't really excite me anymore.

I was just thinking this earlier. I can't remember the last time I watched a "Making of" documentary. Really, at this point, the only ones I'd want to watch or re-watch are "From Star Wars to Jedi" and the "The Making of Star Wars" and "The Making of the Empire Strikes Back" from back in the 80s. The new stuff...I know how they did it. They used a computer. I don't really care. I mean, I'm glad it looks awesome, and I appreciate the work, but there isn't a ton of mystery to me.

Of course, for the average viewer, the same could be said the things that interest us. This is So-and-so's lightsaber. It's the hero. This one that looks exactly the same, but is made of rubber, is the stunt. This one cast from resin is also a stunt, but it has a blade for dueling. Snore...

They make the behind the scenes material for people who are, quite frankly, not us. Whatever your interest is, will likely not be covered enough, and there will be too much of what you don't care about. It's the nature of the beast.

...They make the behind the scenes material for people who are, quite frankly, not us...
Actually, we are the only people they make "Behind the Scenes" featurettes for because the vast majority of people don't care how a movie gets made. I've lost track of the number of people who have told me over the years, "Oh, I never watch that stuff. I just want to watch the movie." :rolleyes

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back