Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

My pref is still that Jyn, Baze, and Bodhi survive. Bodhi stays on to pilot the Rebellions transports and shuttles, Jyn doesn't trust the Rebellion after what they pulled with her dad and she goes off on her own, with Baze going with her as friend and protector. K-2SO and Chirrut had good and appropriate deaths. Cassian should have sacrificed himself to save Jyn, thus completing his character arc. And Red 5 -- the pilot -- should have been injured and rendered unable to fly, while his craft was damaged but repairable. That's where I stand on the films casualties.

--Jonah

And left the way open for a Jyn/Baze spin off film.

I've seen R1 three times. The wife did too, but she was really done after two. We saw it a third time when her father came to visit. I considered seeing it again alone last weekend when she was out with the kids but I had a dead hot water heater I had to deal with.
I did see Empire seven times, five were in one weekend at the cheapie theater with a buddy of mine. Sat through it three times on Saturday and then two more on Sunday. That movie is my record. Sometimes I'll see a movie twice in the theater but not very often.
R1 got better upon subsequent viewings and I look forward to seeing more things in the background I missed the first few times.

You know, of all the nostalgia and fan service of both TFA as rogue one (which I really hated), I think my favorite was seeing the ghost in rogue one. Frankly, I could have stood to see a bit more. Even seeing a live action Hera for one shot would have been fantastic. WAY better than that single shot of threepio and artoo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Very boring film, I wish they had spent more time developing the characters, introduced less characters and dropped the obscene nostalgia drop ins. That being said at least we should get some cool kits out of this.

4/10

You know, of all the nostalgia and fan service of both TFA as rogue one (which I really hated), I think my favorite was seeing the ghost in rogue one. Frankly, I could have stood to see a bit more. Even seeing a live action Hera for one shot would have been fantastic. WAY better than that single shot of threepio and artoo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Ghost was a nice small easter egg, wasn't "in your face" like some of the other ones. Need more of that.

Too much blatant fan service does take me out of the story. Needs to be toned down IMHO for the next films.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My pref is still that Jyn, Baze, and Bodhi survive. Bodhi stays on to pilot the Rebellions transports and shuttles, Jyn doesn't trust the Rebellion after what they pulled with her dad and she goes off on her own, with Baze going with her as friend and protector. K-2SO and Chirrut had good and appropriate deaths. Cassian should have sacrificed himself to save Jyn, thus completing his character arc. And Red 5 -- the pilot -- should have been injured and rendered unable to fly, while his craft was damaged but repairable. That's where I stand on the films casualties.

--Jonah

Yeah, that would've been interesting. I think it would've solved the issue of "Well, now these people would be heroes, so why aren't they in A New Hope?" Although I could also see a reality where Jyn survives, stays with the Rebellion, but continues to work behind the scenes. Actually, it'd be REALLY interesting to see what would happen if she ended up working with Alliance intelligence, and constantly coming into conflict with the guy who ran that, who put out the kill order on her dad. Baze would then kinda become her "Chewbacca." Bodhi would have survived just because he'd be the one piloting their shuttle to get the hell out. Maybe he'd stay on with Jyn, just out of a sense of having bonded with her and not really trusting anyone else.

The other deaths, yeah, they were totally earned, I thought.

All that aside, I do think that you can make an argument that everyone's character arc completed in the film. They didn't need to survive, and I do appreciate a story of tragedy from which hope springs.

And left the way open for a Jyn/Baze spin off film.

Actually...that I could do without. I mean, I can see interesting stories with her surviving, but I'd almost prefer that we not see future films. I think the side stories need to generally be one-and-done films, rather than openers for another sub-franchise. Think about it. Within the Star Wars film franchise we now have two sub-franchises: the "episodes" and the side stories (or "Star Wars stories"). Unless and until the "episodes" end, I think they should be the focus of the films. Save the "Star Wars story" spinoff franchises for television, comics, novels, videogames, etc.

The Ghost was a nice small easter egg, wasn't "in your face" like some of the other ones. Need more of that.

Too much blatant fan service does take me out of the story. Needs to be toned down IMHO for the next films.

Yeah, I liked some of the fan service (e.g. the unused footage of Red and Gold leaders, Gen. "Barristan" Dodonna in the background), but some of it felt shoehorned in the way the prequels did (e.g. Threepio and R2, Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba).

I don't even see it as fan service. It made perfect sense that they were there. At this point, rogue one is the conclusion of rebels.

Hera should have been standing in the war room with bail organa.

Fan service is when it's distracting or disruptive. Like the fact that the only thing people drink is blue milk. Or seeing Dr. Evizan on a different planet a day before seeing him on the next planet.

I would say that seeing tarkin at the end of ROTS wasn't fan service. It was fluid.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't even see it as fan service. It made perfect sense that they were there. At this point, rogue one is the conclusion of rebels.

Hera should have been standing in the war room with bail organa.

Fan service is when it's distracting or disruptive. Like the fact that the only thing people drink is blue milk. Or seeing Dr. Evizan on a different planet a day before seeing him on the next planet.

I would say that seeing tarkin at the end of ROTS wasn't fan service. It was fluid.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agreed. Some stuff makes sense, other stuff...not so much.

Did I imagine it, or did one of the trailers show a clip of the scene when Vader was standing on the edge of the damaged ship, watching the Blockade Runner takeoff, his cape blowing from its exhaust? I thought I saw that in a trailer, but I could be mistaken. I've watched a couple trailers just now to find the shot, but no luck.

Was it in a trailer? If so, could you please post the link?

And if it was not in a trailer, but you have some other link to it, I'd appreciate it.

Ideally, I'd like the whole shot, but even a screencap of him standing there would suffice.

Thanks!

The Wook

Did I imagine it, or did one of the trailers show a clip of the scene when Vader was standing on the edge of the damaged ship, watching the Blockade Runner takeoff, his cape blowing from its exhaust? I thought I saw that in a trailer, but I could be mistaken. I've watched a couple trailers just now to find the shot, but no luck.

Was it in a trailer? If so, could you please post the link?

And if it was not in a trailer, but you have some other link to it, I'd appreciate it.

I'd like the whole shot, but even a screencap of him standing there would suffice.

Thanks!

The Wook

It was in the film only.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back