Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

My brother surprised me with the target exclusive last night. I didn't get to watch the bonus footage yet but I did watch r1

I totally agree with everyone who said Tarkin has had more work done to him

Has it been confirmed leia was NOT touched up? I swear she looks better too!

There was 1 other scene that looked different to me but I can't think of it now... if I do remember I'll report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarkin i remember not looking bad.

But with Leia I remember looking VERY Pixelated and unnatural in skin color.

I think I would have been just fine not seeing Liea's face. Just end it handing off the data card to her, only seen from behind, and dump the cheesy dialogue.

Tarkin, on the other hand, while not 100%, was infinitely better than the attempt to shoehorn him into ROTS.

I think I would have been just fine not seeing Liea's face. Just end it handing off the data card to her, only seen from behind, and dump the cheesy dialogue.

Tarkin, on the other hand, while not 100%, was infinitely better than the attempt to shoehorn him into ROTS.

i didn't mind his VERY breif appearance at the end of ROTS...but it looked horrible compared to here...

obviously things improve in ten years...but still.. i remember it looking more like a skeleton ghost in ROTS.

I think regardless of the ending of Rogue One, that Disney is purposely using directors with less experience. Marvel and the Star Wars franchises are now both doing this (after the jumpstart and attention that JJ got them).

We've seen what the Disney machine did with Edgar Wright and Ant-Man (which he worked on for many, many years) when he objected to studio mandated script changes (without his consent). We also know that Rogue One went through some substantial changes and had a substantial reshoot. We also know that Star Wars has a substantial story department... so when you do agree to direct a Star Wars/Marvel film, you are making a commitment to hand them in the film they want.

I think it was an attempt at Carrie's natural pale skin, but it ended up coming across as too China dollish. The face was too long, and not Leia's more chipmunked look. Almost like what George Lucas envisioned Carrie to look like in ANH rather than what she really looked like. In the end, it came across looking like somebody took a picture of a good Leia cosplay, but then used too much photoshop on it.

And the conceit that Disney is hiring directors who are less known so that they can excersise more creative control is nonsense. R1's Gareth Edwards and hus creative team were given complete control of their narrative vision, so much so that Gareth was amazed the studio encouraged him to have the less than happy ending for the characters. Disney is searching for and finding talented people to craft these films.

John Knoll even said that Kathleen Kennedy told him to take the executive produce position so he'd have more control over it. The only control I want them to take is to make sure they don't step outside of the rules Lucas set up for the SW universe.

Tarkin i remember not looking bad.

In the theater I didn't think Leia looked as good, but after seeing it on a smaller (55") tv it didn't look bad. Tarkin OTOH was great. Even looking at screenshots Tarkin looks like a person. I thought you might see some tell if it was paused.

I think they want nobodies because they want to control the situation. Abrams was an anomaly but generally Disney picks people who've done well on a small scale and don't​ really have a style yet. Who directed all this Pixar movies? MCU movies?

If you know their name, often it's because of the Disney movie they did, not from before

that would be my thought.

the fact that R1 was such a mess? if they liked the job the director was doing so much, why reshoot half the movie?

And the conceit that Disney is hiring directors who are less known so that they can excersise more creative control is nonsense. R1's Gareth Edwards and hus creative team were given complete control of their narrative vision, so much so that Gareth was amazed the studio encouraged him to have the less than happy ending for the characters. Disney is searching for and finding talented people to craft these films.

Even if that's the case...so what? They're doing a good job. Whether it's Disney pulling the strings or having the final "ok" on everything, or whether it's the director's baby, on the whole, I'd say the relaunch of the Star Wars franchise has been a success, both in terms of financial results (which guarantees more stories coming), and in terms of the quality of the films.

Put very simply, I've liked both TFA and R1. I'm less interested in a Han Solo movie, but I'll probably end up liking it, too, if it goes the way R1 did. And I'm curious to see where the franchise goes with The Last Jedi.

I also liked both but R1 was the better of the two. TFA is aimed at kids who have not seen SW before...hence the simple story and all the re-done ANH things. R1 is a fan film for folks like me who are old enough to have seen SW(ANH) in the movies when it firts came out!

cheers
Uwe

PS: Working on a private SW 3,8+4 movie right now...putting R1 and Harmy's de-specialized SW togther into one...just for myself! ;-)

Same here...Rogue One is SW 3,8 and hence part of the story! Not a completely seperate movie that Disney said it would be, it's in the best tradition of th eoriginal SW story.

I found this to be a bit interesting ... It starts out sounding like a whining commentary and I would not disagree with those who think he speaks in an annoying way.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back