Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

the 70's remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. it's been remade quite a few times but never as well i think.
sorry. still off topic.

Ben Burtt inserted the sound of a pig squeal to go with it from what i understand.

Last edited:
[re: Jedha City]
I'm certain I'm not the only one who saw that and thought "Masada."

I honestly hadn't thought that until you said it. It reminded me of the ruined Moorish hilltop bastion that David West Reynolds had gone past and photographed when he was in Tunisia back in '95 looking for the original filming locations. I have been hoping since that it would make it into one of the films -- maybe as the ruined Fort Tusken.

And I've said this a million times... in the heros journey, the hero has to accept the call to action... Rey does not. Rey runs from it every time.

THAT ALONE makes her a flawed hero, and not a Mary Sue.

In Star Wars, Anakin's the only one to jump at the chance. You seem to be forgetting part of the Hero's Journey that gets referenced in every analysis of Star Wars I've ever seen. After "the Call to Adventure" is "the Call Refused". Then something forces the Hero onto the quest anyway. In TFA, Rey's Call to Adventure isn't really until they're on Takodana, when Han offers her a job. Everything prior had been survival -- trying to get rid of the droid she'd wanted no part of, running from the First Order fighters, running from the rathtars, etc. Han's offering her a job and the Force pulling her to the lightsaber were her Call(s) to Adventure, she Refused and ran, and got captured. With Luke, we had a fairly clear throughline through the three stages of Call, Refusal, Acceptance. With Rey, there's a long period between when Maz forces her to confront the truth that her family is never coming back for her and when she is once again in a position to choose her path with Finn and Han and thus demonstrate Acceptance (which she has by the time she faces off against Kylo in the snow).

I checked out Rogue One again...

Three things stood out to me... they've probably been mentioned.

1. Why is everything so dark? I don't mean "This is so dark, the loss... the fight... the deaths"... I mean "Why is every shot in shadow?" Everyone would be standing in a dark room, with one single area lit up, causing harsh shadows everywhere else, making it hard to see what was going on.

Well, first, any inclusion of the Yavin war room or the Death Star overbridge is inadmissible in that argument, as that's true to the original film:

latest?cb=20130313224720.png

latest?cb=20130310235708.png

But in general, I would question your theater's projector. I've seen it three times so far. The first time was in 3D at one theater and it was, indeed, kinda dark and muddy. The other two were in 2D at another theater and it was plenty bright and clear. Even the "shadowed" parts of people's faces weren't so shadowed as to not be visible/readable.

2. Wonabi... (Obi Wan?) - didn't pick up on that name...

It's Wobani. The Imperial labor camp Jyn was busted out of.

3. So the blind guy asks about Cassian Andor... and is told he has a friendly face... What?!?!? Was there a single moment this guy wasn't miserable and scowling...

Point of semantics. The line was "He has the face of a friend", not "a friendly face". Minor wording difference, potentially drastic difference in meaning. I can see someone being described as "having the face of a friend" even if he isn't smiling.

One thing I thought I heard... but can't find a script online... and since I can't find anyone else saying anything, I must have misheard... but when Cassian was talking to the rebel at the beginning about the pilot, did one of them say "A friend of Solo's...."?

No. I think I know what you're talking about, but I'd need to see it again to be able to quote you the line exactly.

That's the one problem that I have with droid naming conventions in Star Wars, In a huge galaxy filled with hundreds, if not thousands of inhabited worlds, doesn't naming all droids with a 4 digit alpha numeric designation rather limit the number of each model of droid you can produce? Let's take Artoo, assuming that R2 is his model number and D2 is his "name", then that means you could only make 234 (26 letters X 9 numbers) R2 model droids, that's not a whole lot of R2s for even one planet much less a whole galaxy.

Expand that substantially, given AOTC's "R4-P17", and then again, given other variations like "R2-KT" or "R0-4LO" and so on. There's been stuff all the way back to the original film to indicate that the different heads have been introduced as new options with successive upgrade series (R5 = flowerpot-head, for instance), but that the "R2" dome head is the standard type. One would not necessarily know from looking at a droid what series it was from by the head alone, just what series that head was introduced with. So "artoo unit" is a term in Star Wars a bit like Kleenex is here -- a generic trademark, where the specific brand name becomes the universal term for everything like that. Per Clone Wars, we know they were up to at least the R8 series by that time, and that the R2 head was still the most common/popular for general use, the other heads probably mostly only being picked for the specific purposes they were designed for, and sometimes aesthetics. It's also been speculated that the "D2" part of Artoo's name is just the first part of a longer serial number. The galaxy being a big place, odds are you won't run into another droid with that same "trim package" or personality option or whatever else that bit might refer to -- if anything, and so usually further distinction isn't needed.

For that matter, the general attitude in the Star Wars universe is that AI is so commonplace that these are basically just ambulatory toasters and such, and just as most people wouldn't bother naming their appliances, or concern themselves with learning their full serial numbers, most people there don't even notice when droids are around, let alone think of them as sapient beings to be treated as such.

again, part of the problem is that we didn't really know enough about jynn...

yeah, she had a tragic child hood. but that alone doesn't shape a person too much.we jump from that right to imperial prison transport. as i recall, we don't even know why she's really there.

They read the laundry list on screen, at the Yavin base. Theft of Imperial property, forging of Imperial documents, assault on Imperial personnel...

Yeah, I was expecting a couple rebel troopers to get killed with random head shots or something, the way people were describing it. Definitely wasnt as gritty as Private Ryan.

Um... I seem to recall many instances of Rebel troops/commandos getting popped with random shots, etc.

I've always wondered why that guy -- no idea who he was, but he seemed clearly to be a low-level officer -- was able to talk to Vader like that, and in that tone of voice. What, did he have a death wish?

Vader has always gotten alone better with the Stormtroopers and their officers (black uniforms and the olive-uniformed Generals like Veers, Bast, and Tagge) than he has the Imperial Starfleet. He's a lot more tolerant of people's opinions when he respects the people. He doesn't respect Motti or Ozzel or Krennic. Demonstrate capability and willingness to go into battle? He'll back you all the way.

Maybe I'm missing something, but everything I ever heard related to retrieving the Death Star plans was that Leia's ship flies by the planet and the rebels on the ground transmit the plans to her. She then goes to Hyperspace and pops out at Tatooine to retrieve Obi Wan. Vader follows her and then ANH happens. There's never been anything (that was canon) that said there was an intermediary between Leia getting them and going to Tatooine. What doesn't fit?

Leia always got the plans and then went to Tatooine. The "intermediary" is prior to her getting the plans. The method of it ("several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies" is not what we saw in the film), Vader's direct witnessing of her ship's involvement ("I have traced the Rebel spies to her" implies deduction, or forensic pursuit, rather than simple observation), and so forth. The only EU source detailing the incident was the radio drama, and a couple later works that referenced it. My only problem with that was that, again, Leia's ship flew through the combat area and her plausible deniability was minimal at best. As with Dan, I'd've been much happier with a ship fleeing the battle with the plans and having to pass them along (via radio) to Leia's ship at some other location while she was on her way from somewhere else to Tatooine.

That's five pages' worth of this thread. Thirteen more to go (probably fifteen by the time I get caught up, and allowing a bit of a pause between my response posts). Lot to digest over the past week and change. :p

--Jonah

They did, R1 is a terrific story your experience not withstanding.

I've already said I loved RO. I'm talking about movies going forward. Chirrut and Baze were great characters because they were well written, not just because they were Chinese, I just can't stand when the writers write to pander to a certain audience. I can't recall the person (who was gay) who said it, but talking about this type of thing, particularly gay characters, she said instead of yelling "GAY character!!!" have a character that just happens to be gay. Just write a character and let the story play out. I don't want them to scream "We have a XYZ character!" to pander to anyone. Just write a great movie and let the audience decide.

I don't know if the Chinese audience doesn't understand SW or what. I just don't want Disney, or any movie company, to now say "Oh man it didn't do well in China so we won't make any movie like that any more." There's no correlation between that and what other audiences want to see.

After reading the Guy Henry article and seeing the photo of him in make up, hair, and "dots," I'd say they could have used him for Tarkin just with out the dots!!!!!

Ummm I was not refering to you but if it makes you feel any better we can say so..:wacko

everyone else is smart enough to stay out of this conversation. why do i keep going back into it? :)

Yawn....

why is that always the reaction when i continuously point out I LIKE seeing a diverse cast?

I just don't want it done for the wrong reasons.

that part seems to get ignored for some reason.

instead i'm keeping women down somehow or bashing up chinese people...

smh.

fact of the matter is, hollywood DOES pander to china.
The only reason we got a Japanese Sherdder (and a chinese actress playing a japanese woman IIRC in Karai) is because fans RIGHTLY complained. that shredder was going to be white, and all japanese elements where going to be erased. That's a fact.
There was no reason for XMen, Days of Future Past to have base base in china to save the world.,,,
All the China Elements in ID42.
I don't even doubt that the reason feigbusters had their base in china town and IN an actual chinese restaurant was their hope it would make it into the country.

I don't mind seeing other cultures. and i don't blame the chinese people... but hollywood IS bending over backwards to make amends for the chinese government whether you want to admit it or not. and the movies suffer.

A Ninja Turtles movie with NO Ninja elements, because apparently the Chinese hate the Japanese(the reasoning I heard) is NOT a good thing.

I finally got a chance to see it today. I really enjoyed it. I felt it's tone was different enough from the main films to set it apart, yet keep it clearly in the Star Wars spirit.

I also really liked how it was able to generate so much emotion from me considering that, ultimately, I already knew how it ended. I was truly sad at the fate of the characters.

I finally got a chance to see it today. I really enjoyed it. I felt it's tone was different enough from the main films to set it apart, yet keep it clearly in the Star Wars spirit.

I also really liked how it was able to generate so much emotion from me considering that, ultimately, I already knew how it ended. I was truly sad at the fate of the characters.

Ive seen it 4 times now and while I found the deaths emotional the first time,on subsequent viewings,because I now knew the characters I found their deaths more emotional. While the first time was a bit sad when Jyn viewed her fathers message I found I teared up on subsequent viewings. I loved these characters and even my son said he wanted more adventures with them. While some found the diversity pandering(no offence to anyone as your entitled to your opinions and they are just as valid as mine.) I found it to be a great mix and thought they all worked wonderfully together. I should be seeing it a 5th time this week. Is that too many???;)

Ben

gizmo man thats a ton of money! I think the last movie I saw in the theater 4 times was the original Jurassic Park. I was 11, I remember having to wash cars and do chores to get the money to go! :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
i've only seen a movie in the theaters TWICE, ONCE. and that was Star Trek Inssurection.

One of the reasons i went to see it again, was because I had a fun time the first time, and the second time was free, celebrating a new theater that our company helped build. they held a free theater night just for the workers and you could come and go and see as many movies as you wanted.

never so proud to be an employee :)

@gizmo man thats a ton of money! I think the last movie I saw in the theater 4 times was the original Jurassic Park. I was 11, I remember having to wash cars and do chores to get the money to go! :lol

5+ times club for me is...

Pulp Fiction
Brave Heart
The Force Awakens

(Sausage Party is in there as well.... but that was forced, and the last couple of times I just slept)

I can wait for Rogue One to leak... No rush.

I did want to check it in 2D though... I hate how dim 3D gets.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back