Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

...and then there are real grown up film reviewers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec7MTAKAy6Y

J

How is his "grown up" review any more "real"?

Everything Jenny Nicholson said is well thought out and backed up, same with Redlettermedia.

In fact Redlettermedias knowledge of story structure is incredible... As a group they watch everything from art films to shlock. They are also all near or in their 40's.

Or is it just cuz it's a positive review?

Everything Jenny Nicholson said is well thought out and backed up, same with Redlettermedia.

In fact Redlettermedias knowledge of story structure is incredible... As a group they watch everything from art films to shlock. They are also all near or in their 40's.

bingo!

In all honesty, I think I'm a little more upset about the "pandering" we get by them creating new versions of already established vehicles and troopers. I can understand that we might not have seen lesser shuttles and transports - but, Krennic's shuttle and his Death Troopers seem a bit much.

Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of new material to back up their existence. But, it just seems that if a standard Imperial Shuttle works for the Emperor and Vader - it should work for Krennic, too. The Death Troopers, too - why wouldn't he have regular old Stormtroopers? It seems a bit much for what seems like an elite unit to mired down to Krennic - when we see no other sign of Death Troopers.. well, ever again.

...I guess it doesn't help that I found both his shuttle and the Death Troopers to be kinda lame.

Also, why are regular old stormtroopers unable to pilot hovertanks? Do the unique helmet designs on the shore troopers accomplish anything that any of the other half dozen helmet types can't? What makes those partular to sandy beaches when normal trooper helmets handle sand dunes just fine?

Its just more 'Real' because it's by a reviewer who I respect, who is a critic of all genres,.....RLM stick to mainstream pop culture,...mainly sci-fi, horror & are Star Wars fans,...so, although I agree 100% with their Prequel reviews,....I find disappointedly that they want Star Wars in one particular way,....their review & the two Plinkett videos for Rogue One pick out things that really make no sense,....quite soft feeble reasons compared to the strong valid points of their past

The girl.....again she reviews as a particular Star Wars fan,...a lot of the character arcs that she says doesn't happen actually do happen,..& to compare Riz Ahmed to Zayn Malik again,....she did it on another video.... (who look nothing like each other),...is that a bit racist?
...and also perhaps because she has an annoying whiney voice and there are jump cuts every five words,....she has no presentation skills & everything she says is just blah,...so unlike Mark Kermode,...who I like & respect,....

...Yes I threw in a positive review,....because I liked the movie,....simple

....it's also worth noting that it was me who posted the RLM review

J

Last edited:
In all honesty, I think I'm a little more upset about the "pandering" we get by them creating new versions of already established vehicles and troopers. I can understand that we might not have seen lesser shuttles and transports - but, Krennic's shuttle and his Death Troopers seem a bit much.

Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of new material to back up their existence. But, it just seems that if a standard Imperial Shuttle works for the Emperor and Vader - it should work for Krennic, too. The Death Troopers, too - why wouldn't he have regular old Stormtroopers? It seems a bit much for what seems like an elite unit to mired down to Krennic - when we see no other sign of Death Troopers.. well, ever again.

...I guess it doesn't help that I found both his shuttle and the Death Troopers to be kinda lame.

I'm gonna assume death troopers being zombies is out of the idea that he's dealing with a science officer, and since the Empire are inspired by Nazi Germany, they're probably playing around with the science that Nazi Germany was involved in... or so the Time Life books on mysteries would say they were involved in.

Because he's British and works for the BBC. :)

I'm gonna assume death troopers being zombies is out of the idea that he's dealing with a science officer, and since the Empire are inspired by Nazi Germany, they're probably playing around with the science that Nazi Germany was involved in... or so the Time Life books on mysteries would say they were involved in.

Yeah the Visual Guide seems to indicate they are sort of a science experiment/zombie thing, likely having a bit of fun with the book "Death Troopers".

I can't find anything canon online to back that up (the official site doesn't mention this nor does the Wookiepedia). But, I'll say if this is the case - it's the stupidest thing I've heard of since Maul being resurrected.

I'm not sure if being in "Advanced Weapons Research" means Krennic is a "science officer" - but, I'm sure being able to use different branches wouldn't be beyond his grasp.

I've been one of the biggest critics of the Disney designs and I feel like this is the first one they've done well. Even krennics shuttle warmed on me.

However the RLM guys were right. Those walkers were totally out of place here. It made no sense that they were walking around blasting everything to bits. They are a front line blunt instrument of destruction. Not a security force.

They could have simply made something else that was cool

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Also, why are regular old stormtroopers unable to pilot hovertanks? Do the unique helmet designs on the shore troopers accomplish anything that any of the other half dozen helmet types can't? What makes those partular to sandy beaches when normal trooper helmets handle sand dunes just fine?

To the first part, even modern military units have a different helmet for those in armored/tracked vehicles than standard combat helmet. It's specific so the crews can hear each other in the vehicle or the vehicle commander is in the hatch over the vehicle (or other) noise. Not to say it should be the way in the SW (where they can all potintially already contact each other with their fully enclosed helmets), universe but I don't mind a little variety. That being said, I think the variety is getting a little bit much. The only answer I have to the second part is "Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!!! - best Yogurt impression.

Krennic's shuttle I liked but, I think it would've made more sense if he had a regular lambda class shuttle. Same with the deathtroopers just being regular TKs. IF Krennic was so high up to "need" his own guard, why not give him a team or squad of Royal Guard? They're already established in the universe, AND we'd get to see what makes them elite. Regular TKs would've been fine, especially if they're not going to do anything to differentiate themselves from them.

I've been one of the biggest critics of the Disney designs and I feel like this is the first one they've done well. Even krennics shuttle warmed on me.
I'm not necessarily saying they were poorly designed - just that they were out of place. But, neither design did a whole lot for me - glad you liked the shuttle.

Its just more 'Real' because it's by a reviewer who I respect, who is a critic of all genres,.....RLM stick to mainstream pop culture,...mainly sci-fi, horror & are Star Wars fans,...so, although I agree 100% with their Prequel reviews,....I find disappointedly that they want Star Wars in one particular way,....their review & the two Plinkett videos for Rogue One pick out things that really make no sense,....quite soft feeble reasons compared to the strong valid points of their past

The girl.....again she reviews as a particular Star Wars fan,...a lot of the character arcs that she says doesn't happen actually do happen,..& to compare Riz Ahmed to Zayn Malik again,....she did it on another video.... (who look nothing like each other),...is that a bit racist?
...and also perhaps because she has an annoying whiney voice and there are jump cuts every five words,....she has no presentation skills & everything she says is just blah,...so unlike Mark Kermode,...who I like & respect,....

J
I feel as if the "real" reviewers have become WAY more forgiving than they should be. They no longer know how to review blockbuster movies. They have decided that there is a huge sliding scale and are afraid to criticize the industry.

I can't find anything canon online to back that up (the official site doesn't mention this nor does the Wookiepedia). But, I'll say if this is the case - it's the stupidest thing I've heard of since Maul being resurrected.

I'm not sure if being in "Advanced Weapons Research" means Krennic is a "science officer" - but, I'm sure being able to use different branches wouldn't be beyond his grasp.

I more meant he was dealing with a science officer... Galen Erso...

And I read it on some site... maybe they got it from the Rogue One visual guide?

I'm not necessarily saying they were poorly designed - just that they were out of place. But, neither design did a whole lot for me - glad you liked the shuttle.
It was certainly better than Kylo ren's shuttle

I more meant he was dealing with a science officer... Galen Erso...

And I read it on some site... maybe they got it from the Rogue One visual guide?
Galen seemed to be more of an engineer than a biologist. Krennic could've overseen or had access to any number of things before focusing on the Death Star.

J

So yeah after reading this and watching the review you posted, its totally because he is British and works for the BBC :lol Granted he does know film, not bashing on his talents or anything, but Jenny Nicholson brings up very valid points, which I agreed with every single one. Oh great, comparing people now is considered racist?:facepalm

So yeah after reading this and watching the review you posted, its totally because he is British and works for the BBC :lol Granted he does know film, not bashing on his talents or anything, but Jenny Nicholson brings up very valid points, which I agreed with every single one. Oh great, comparing people now is considered racist?:facepalm

I posted a while back the RLM video,...which was a negative review,....they are American,...everyone is cool with that

I posted a positive review by a British critic,.....& it's being picked out?

I'm from the UK & I regularly watch Mark Kermode,...I don't get the:lol

There is no similarity between Riz & Zayn other than they are both Asian heritage musicians

J

I posted a while back the RLM video,...which was a negative review,....they are American,...everyone is cool with that

I posted a positive review by a British critic,.....& it's being picked out?

I'm from the UK & I regularly watch Mark Kermode,...I don't get the:lol

There is no similarity between Riz & Zayn other than they are both Asian heritage musicians

J

Ha, sorry... I only picked it out cuz you posted as a REAL reviewer... which I took *offense* (in the lightest of terms to) since all my trusted reviewers do it *radical*YOUTUBE*radical* style!

Although looks like RLM is now taking the **** out of round tables podcasts... Which is hilarious.

I will state as I post this, there are a lot of round tables I watch, and yeah, they're just like this...

Not a fan of Collider and in SOME cases, Screen Junkies discussions... But sometimes I just need to kill time

(for example, I watched every horrible Collider Commentary on the Star Wars Trilogies... and they were all boring)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back