Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I don't know if this one was mentioned or not, but did you catch them saying "May the Force of others be with you". Call back to the early drafts of ANH, that was the original saying.

Haven't been keeping up with this thread too much, but wondering, how far is Scarif to Tatooine?
I know there was a map of the Star Wars galaxy, but now it is probably different. Is there a new map out by Disney?

Haven't been keeping up with this thread too much, but wondering, how far is Scarif to Tatooine?
I know there was a map of the Star Wars galaxy, but now it is probably different. Is there a new map out by Disney?

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 22.08.33.png

Looks right beside it to me

J

That's what I was saying the other day. Leia's mission was to get Obi-Wan, there was no reason for the Tantive to be at Scarif.

Who says that was the only mission? In ANH Vader tells Leia "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you." So if their mission was only to pick up Obi Wan why would they have the plans beamed to them? If anything this is a flaw in the movie. It would make more sense, and I assumed during the movie, that they beamed the plans to the entire fleet so at least one ship would pick it up. So maybe Vader just assumed it was beamed to the ship and didn't really see the data card when he was killing the troopers.

As for how Tantive IV got there, got whoever on board, etc. The Rebel fleet could have left prior to Tantive IV leaving Yavin IV. Nothing says Bail Organa was on board that ship, and the droids could have got on board in plenty of time. The Tantive IV is presumably a LOT faster, being a Blockade Runner, and caught up then docked with the Mon Cal ship before they got to Scarif. Also nothing said that fleet was all in orbit above Yavin IV, that would be stupid (hidden base...). It could have stopped somewhere to get the fleet together and then went to Scarif, allowing Tantive IV to meet up and dock.

As much as did like rogue one, the entire ending was botched. No movie should be that slapped together in its final moments as late as that was. You have to do mental acrobatics to connect it seamlessly to the beginning of episode 4. It felt like the ending of ROTS, when they tried to tie up all these loose ends in order to get to ANH.

I remember an old writing teacher of mine always said, "begin with the end". He said that I you have your final page nailed down, getting there from the beginning should be easy. But when you leave the climax until the end, you'll constantly be reworking everything over and over again to get things to fit.

I watched John wick last night and it was awesome. Up until the end. It was obvious that they didn't know how to end that film. You can actually tell the exact moment when they just started winging it.
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

...That being said, it's bound to...as we know it's not her in the first place, and it is CGI after all. We've come a very long way, but we still can't get life in the eyes to look 100%...
It can be done. When I saw Peter Jackson's King Kong remake I clearly recall seeing the life disappear from Kong's eyes as he died. It's not as noticeable watching the movie at home, even on a big screen television, but on a movie theater screen it was an unexpected and impressive effect.

... In a way, I'm thankful that we can't achieve 100% reality. I don't want to be living in a future where we resurrect dead actors via CGI and make entire films with them. To me, that cheapens the real actor's value.
I understand and agree with their use of a CG Cushing as Tarkin in Rogue One simply because there is established history in the franchise with the actor and the character. But I am definitely opposed to Joe Schmoe making a new movie and deciding to include a CG version of someone like Humphrey Bogart for no reason other than it can be done.

Who says that was the only mission? In ANH Vader tells Leia "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you." So if their mission was only to pick up Obi Wan why would they have the plans beamed to them? If anything this is a flaw in the movie. It would make more sense, and I assumed during the movie, that they beamed the plans to the entire fleet so at least one ship would pick it up. So maybe Vader just assumed it was beamed to the ship and didn't really see the data card when he was killing the troopers.

As for how Tantive IV got there, got whoever on board, etc. The Rebel fleet could have left prior to Tantive IV leaving Yavin IV. Nothing says Bail Organa was on board that ship, and the droids could have got on board in plenty of time. The Tantive IV is presumably a LOT faster, being a Blockade Runner, and caught up then docked with the Mon Cal ship before they got to Scarif. Also nothing said that fleet was all in orbit above Yavin IV, that would be stupid (hidden base...). It could have stopped somewhere to get the fleet together and then went to Scarif, allowing Tantive IV to meet up and dock.

When you think about it, Vader was sort of right about the plans being beamed aboard Leia's ship, considering that it was docked to the ship that received the transmissions one could assume that the plans were beamed aboard the Tantive IV as well. Granted he did see Rebel trooper running from him trying to get aboard the Tantive IV but he may not have actually have seen the one handing the data disc off to the guys on the Tantive IV, after all, he was sort of busy slaughtering Rebels at the moment and may not have been paying attention to or noticed the guy at the back of the corridor.

Just saw it again tonight, and I think I need to see it again, because I have a nagging question:

Where did all of the Rebel fighters come from in low-altitude combat over Scarif?

We see the Rebel fleet arrive, and some fighters make a bee-line for the opening via the shield gate. Lots of drama as the X-wings rush to get through the gate before it closes. The Imperial technicians seemed like they closed it just in time before anyone got through, what with the two X-wings hitting the shield and skittering across its surface. But then we see Baze vs. the AT-ACT, and suddenly, Rebel fighters appear, including General Merrick/Blue Leader.

So I am confused - did we actually see a lot of fighters get past the gate before they closed it? Or are we just meant to assume that happened? Because, otherwise, all those fighters on the surface of Scarif don't make any sense, right?

Just saw it again tonight, and I think I need to see it again, because I have a nagging question:

Where did all of the Rebel fighters come from in low-altitude combat over Scarif?

We see the Rebel fleet arrive, and some fighters make a bee-line for the opening via the shield gate. Lots of drama as the X-wings rush to get through the gate before it closes. The Imperial technicians seemed like they closed it just in time before anyone got through, what with the two X-wings hitting the shield and skittering across its surface. But then we see Baze vs. the AT-ACT, and suddenly, Rebel fighters appear, including General Merrick/Blue Leader.

So I am confused - did we actually see a lot of fighters get past the gate before they closed it? Or are we just meant to assume that happened? Because, otherwise, all those fighters on the surface of Scarif don't make any sense, right?

i remember for sure x wings making it through the gate before it closed. then i THINK the Y wings entered, the next batch of x wings were too late and smashed on the closed gate door

i remember for sure x wings making it through the gate before it closed. then i THINK the Y wings entered, the next batch of x wings were too late and smashed on the closed gate door

Thanks. I remember seeing a bunch of X-wings swooping straight down toward the gate, but I don't remember any U-wings as part of that group, and I don't remember a shot or snippet of dialogue confirming that any fighters actually did make it through. I will have to watch more carefully next time.

Did we see any Y-wings on the surface? Or did they stay in space to hammer on the gate installation?

One U-wing made it through along with a handful of X-wings and dropped off troops. The door gunner in the U-wing also took out one of the AT-ACTs. It is brief, but they do show the fighters and U-wing make it through the shield just before the others crash into it

One U-wing made it through along with a handful of X-wings and dropped off troops. The door gunner in the U-wing also took out one of the AT-ACTs. It is brief, but they do show the fighters and U-wing make it through the shield just before the others crash into it

Yeah, I remember the U-wing being there, and later crashing. Glad I have an excuse to go see it again. :thumbsup

My theory: the decision was made to use the Tantive as the getaway ship, as it was the fastest ship in their fleet. Bail probably had nothing to do with this, it was likely an audible call by Leia after Bail had already left for Alderaan. The blockade runner, however, is not very tough in a head to head fight, as shown by the other one getting destroyed fairly easily earlier in the battle. Therefore, they chose to shelter the Tantive inside the tougher capital ship until the plans were secured.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Rebels were already copying the plans when Vader arrived. The Profundity had been heavily damaged in the fight... sufficiently that Vader was able to board it without getting shot up. I could easily see Raddus requesting a ship to dock to pick up a hard copy of the plans. We don't see that on screen, of course, but it's clear that's the plan when Vader gets there.

I wonder what happened to poor Admiral Raddus. Absent an escape pod or a suicide pill, I have to imagine that the Empire's treatment of him was not awesome.

Last edited:
My theory:

They wanted to show Princess Leia in the film and the handoff of the plans to her. They knew they couldn't drag the film out through what would probably be another 10 minutes of epilogue. So, instead of showing a ship escaping, meeting the Tantive IV, beaming the plans to the Tantive IV, and then Vader showing up to chase the Tantive IV, they just...compressed everything and had it be a disc that was handed.

It just ends up making the dialogue from the first film not make any sense because (A) the plans weren't beamed to that ship, and (B) Leia looks like an idiot when she says "Uh....what plans? We're a diplomatic ship! LOL"

In other words, this was done for the narrative punch of this film, rather than for the consistency of the story as a whole.

It's dumb, and in my opinion, if it couldn't be done right, it shouldn't have been done at all (or be left as a Blu-Ray add-on or something for an "extended edition now with 10 more min of footage!"), but there it is.

They should've found some way to have the plans "beamed" to the Tantive IV. Technically, they were beamed to the Profundity and the Tantive IV was docked to it - so I guess Vader's not exactly wrong...

They saw this as an opportunity to showcase Vader - so they took that chance.

Either way, didn't really hurt my enjoyment.

They should've found some way to have the plans "beamed" to the Tantive IV. Technically, they were beamed to the Profundity and the Tantive IV was docked to it - so I guess Vader's not exactly wrong...

That's what I was thinking. With the Tantive IV docked with the Profundity, the two ships were, for lack of a better phrase, one and the same. For all practical purposes, anything beamed to the Profundity was also beamed to the Tantive IV, as far as the Empire was concerned.

I think moving the plans to disc/card/whatever, and kept off the Tantive's computer, gave a little more plausible deniability to Leia's flimsy plea of ignorance.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back