Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Saw's statement just came across as a generalization rather than a prediction. It may be the case that repeated exposure to the squid would certainly cause madness (maybe he was planning a series of treatments) or how the effects of a single exposure could vary depending on someone's psychic integrity. I could see that the pilot was at least psychologically shaken. That's how I perceived it and it didn't bother me one bit.

See I saw it as crappy writing.

Saw's statement just came across as a generalization rather than a prediction. It may be the case that repeated exposure to the squid would certainly cause madness (maybe he was planning a series of treatments) or how the effects of a single exposure could vary depending on someone's psychic integrity. I could see that the pilot was at least psychologically shaken. That's how I perceived it and it didn't bother me one bit.

It also seemed to me that Saw was more than a little bat ***** paranoid crazy. You could chalk it up to that as well.

@dascoyne I wish I felt this way. I just dont. I asked earlier, but nobody answered me. How come the pilot didnt go mad like Saw Guerrra said he would after the slug hypno-squid had his way with him?
Obie-Wan: "What I said was true, from a certain point of view."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
@dascoyne I wish I felt this way. I just dont. I asked earlier, but nobody answered me. How come the pilot didnt go mad like Saw Guerrra said he would after the slug hypno-squid had his way with him?
Yeah, i took it also as he would get "mad" but Saw would know if he told the truth. When we see him in the prison later, i thought they would try to get him out and it turning out that his mind was wacko, but instead he just snaps out from it after they have leaved the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I LOVED this movie. This movie easily slides into the spot of my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie. It had a lot more substance than TFA. I really enjoyed TFA, but I had more nitpicks with that than I did with this movie. This movie felt more like what a SW movie should be (in my view of Star Wars). It was firmly rooted in the Star Wars galaxy, but it was totally unlike any other Star Wars in tone and theme... and I actually really appreciated that, as a standalone film. Had it been part of the saga, that shift in tone would have most definitely put me off, but I can happily accept a war movie tone in this.

A few nitpicks:

- The Bogalit (sp?) was kind of pointless. It didn't add anything to the plot. Whether Bohdi was telling the truth or not had zero impact on the following events.
- Some of the dialogue didn't seem to fit the moment, and I feel like that could have been due to reshoots, possibly. "Little sister" and "Welcome home" were both moments that didn't quite fit, like they were missing some prior character moments that got scrapped in the reshoots.
- After the first viewing I would have said the pacing was a bit slow during the first half, but after watching ANH and seeing R1 a second time... if you can take off your nostalgia goggles while watching ANH, you'll see that they are paced fairly similarly. Still, the pacing is just a tad slow during the startup, and I would have liked to see a little more character bonding during the slow parts.

The good:

- I'll let Han take it from here...
y8cjq8.jpg

So is bashing TFA a new thing? Seems to be all the rage as of late. I still dont understand why so many people love this movie so hard. I dont know, but it was very lukewarm to me(pun not intended) it was just very paint by numbers, except for the end. And when I saw the cameos of the X-wing pilots. Like I mentioned before, I thought the droid dying was more heartfelt than the humans. I didnt care about any of them at all. We all knew how it was going to end too. I just dont understand.

So is bashing TFA a new thing? Seems to be all the rage as of late. I still dont understand why so many people love this movie so hard. I dont know, but it was very lukewarm to me(pun not intended) it was just very paint by numbers, except for the end. And when I saw the cameos of the X-wing pilots. Like I mentioned before, I thought the droid dying was more heartfelt than the humans. I didnt care about any of them at all. We all knew how it was going to end too. I just dont understand.

You know how you personally feel when you like a movie that others dislike? It is kind of like that :)

In other words, it is fine for someone to dislike the movie but those liking the film probably won't change their minds by constantly getting challenged. Just chalk it up to a difference in opinion. :)

I agree, I really want to love it because it is a Star Wars movie, but I did not leave as excited about the R1 in whole as I was with certain parts.

edit: I think Saw's words were "It sometimes causes one to lose one's mind". We then see him a bit spaced out so he was affected but obviously not permanently. Then again, we did not know how he acted before getting grabbed!

You know how you personally feel when you like a movie that others dislike? It is kind of like that :)

In other words, it is fine for someone to dislike the movie but those liking the film probably won't change their minds by constantly getting challenged. Just chalk it up to a difference in opinion. :)

I understand that, but I really WANT to like this movie. My friends, you guys, reviews I have read on the internet, people that like the OT like this movie. And I just dont. Like I mentioned before, aside from Darth Vader in the ending, and a few easter eggs... I dare to say I was bored during a lot of it.The more I think about it, the more bummed I get. Maybe when it comes out on video Ill give it another shot, but after thinking about what I saw...I just left the theater with a "meh" feeling. Except for DV kicking ass, that was glorious. Makes me wonder what the cut out, thanks to Disney interference.

edit: I think Saw's words were "It sometimes causes one to lose one's mind". We then see him a bit spaced out so he was affected but obviously not permanently. Then again, we did not know how he acted before getting grabbed!

Saw Gerrera (the Che Guevara tie is kind of ridiculous when I type his name) made it sound all ominous and then he was fine later, and was responsible for a ton of stuff in the movie. I dont know, its just a nitpick but like someone mentioned, its what we do here. :lol

Had it's issues, far from perfect, but definitely a fun ride. I quite enjoyed it.

Saw it on Thursday night with a friend and then took my kids the next evening. MUCH better on second viewing in my opinion. Both my kids loved it.

Now I REALLY want a Vader movie!!! That one scene is what Ep. 3 should have been. Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi and being totally awesome. :)

A couple of things I noticed on the 2nd viewing:

When Chirrut was telling folks' fortunes in the street, he says "May the Force of others be with you," which was the original version of the saying in Lucas' first draft of Star Wars.

When Bodhi is trying to convince the Imperials to let their ship through the gate, Jyn is gripping her crystal with her eyes closed. It looked like something that a Force user might do. (Probably not, but it certainly looked that way to me.)

The Death Star targeting ability was precise enough to take the transmitter off the tower at Scarif, before the blast wiped out the rest of the tower.

Also, I noticed it the first time, but I'm curious about one of the soldiers who took Bodhi to Saw - he was wearing a black biker scout helmet, which would imply storm commandos are really a thing.

I normally agree wholeheartedly with these guys,.....the only other time I disagreed with them was with 'Boyhood'

This time they are wrong,...on so many levels,....they say this will do well with the Star Wars fans,....not with the general audience & with critics

Its doing extremely well with the general audience & with critics..... it has a 12A certificate,.....so if you insisted on bringing your underage kid,....you cant really grumble it's not suited

J

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back