Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Just got back from the midnight show.

BLOWN AWAY!!

Thats the Star Wars I've been waiting for. Lots of fan stuff to look out for, they even had blue milk!

K2SO is great, the comedy was well done with him.

And Vader, nailed it completely.

So just to confirm, Vader's robe is over the armor in this one, just like in ANH. But in all pics leading up to the release it was shown under. I was wondering if there was a possibility they had digitally altered it in post production after the complaints from fans who noticed that, just like how they fixed the neck gap issue.

Saw it last night. It's everything I hoped it'd be and then more. Edwards outdid Abrams, in my opinion. As good as TFA is, it showed that Abrams is a masterful copycat. Edwards' movie is bold. Callbacks to the OT aren't made in order to invoke nostalgia with the audience, but because they make sense in-universe (or rather in-timeline)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

As much as I hated TFA, I love R1. I didn't believe that they'd manage to make me feel this way, but it was spot on.

I don't watch a SW movie because of the story, but because I like the general setting and the space fight scenes. R1 made everything right here, in my opinion in harsh contrast to tfa. The cgi was great, much better than tfa, it felt more real and believable. They also captured the visual themes really well.

As a plus, I liked the story this time, especially the ending.

It surely was worth to shorten my time in bed to only 3hrs tonight! And I'll definately watch it a second time!

Thorsten

My Review==Spoilers Below===

The first half of the movie is terrible, barely any resemblance to a SW film, felt like a bad knock off or a Firefly episode, with a few Stormtroopers to brand it to SW. The music is trying so hard to be SW music, but be different, it comes off half a.s.s.e.d. I felt nothing for the characters and the lead comes off lame and is terribly miscast.

Bad acting, bad dialogue, bad direction, bad chemistry, bad casting,....basically the movie is a 5 out of 10 so far.

Second half slowly gets better and then as the pieces fall into place to show it's time line connection to ANH, then it's a better ride.

I start to feel something for all the characters as they all slowly die, then Vadar rocks up, destroys many rebels and the two leads die on the beach holding hands. The only way it could have ended and it feels like a better movie. Complete lack of chemistry and cool, funny, tight, sharp dialogue. Loved the tropical Imperial battle set and AWESOME to see the Blue X Wings finall in a SW movie.

Tarkin and Leia had to be CGI, of course, but it still felt fake. I would have preferred real similar actors.

I hate C3PO and to have him in the film is an insult, it's pointless and unnecessary. We can't figure out by ourselves the timeline and connection...??? No, the audience are stupid, so let's remind them of the story's connection to ANH, by having the gold shiny guy in the film for 5 seconds and say something obvious.....I swear Anthony Daniels has a clause in his SW contract they he must appear in any SW property.

Overall the film is hit and miss. It was always going to be a struggle to introduce a new set of characters in an important part of an already told story, where you have to learn then, love them and feel bad when they all crook. I think the writer and director could have done a better job. I swear if Kasden had wrote it, it would have been better. TFA, ESB have such a even mix of comedy, fun and darkness, that Rogue One lacks in spades.

Overall it gets an 8, because the second half and end save it somewhat. I'd see it again, but wouldn't buy it on DVD

Morning all...

Still a bit tired from this morning's 00:01AM show...but totally satified. For me the best SW movie after ESB. Story is great, charactres are very well executed and the special affects have to be seen to be believed. A feast for X- and Y-Wing fans! Saw it in German 3D, only version that was shown in the pre-premiere, but will definitely be back at the movies once the Englsh 2D version gets shown. Couple of easter eggs but nothing serious, all in all a Star wars movie for fans and "old fans" like me. A big thump up!!!

thanks
Uwe

saw it this afternoon in an empty theatre (1:30pm on a workday in a country town is a great time to see a movie it seems)

Favourite things

- CG Tarkin, while not perfect (but close), i couldn't wipe the smile off my face any time he was on screen.
- Vader's Mustafar Castle
- The 'Ghost' and General Syndulla
- ponda baba and dr evazan
- the use of shots filmed from the OT for gold leader and others.
- the demise of the original Red 5, leaving the callsign free for Luke
- the end sequence of delivering the plans to leia with terminator vader.
- that they had the balls to wipe basically everyone out and avoid any 'that was our last U-wing' kind of jokes.
- a nice little glimpse of PT era coruscant
- there was a good bit of footage from the trailers that wasn't in the actual movie...which kept things a bit fresher.
- the death troopers seemed like they weren't human and didn't speak english...

Least Favourite things
- forrest whittaker was a bit of a let down. couldn't understand half the things he was saying.
- Cassian was the same a bit. It was like 90% fine, but anytime he was shouting, I had trouble understanding him.
- JEJ's vader sounded...off...the scene with krennic didn't come across as imposing as i think they'd hoped it would.
- despite how lovely the whole end sequence was, it seemed to end very suddenly....

Hi again...

"- the demise of the original Red 5, leaving the callsign free for Luke"...

From a hair splitting modellers point of view...the call signs match the number of bars of the paint sceme on an X-Wing! With Red 5 going down, Luke's Red 5 some (weeks, months ?) later should have a fresher paint job or at least traces of a modified paint job in ANH...which obvioulsy they did not do since they did not know aboout Rogue One in 77...;-)
So a truely authentic Luke-Red 5 will lokok a bit different from now on...will cater for that when I get to paint mine up!

cheers
Uwe

The ROTJ Production Bib Fortuna Maquette that I am pretty sure is in Saw's hangout:

5821ed1e2389069d27859fe7bd1683b0.jpg

A little background on me in case you don't know. I am a Star Wars fan in VERY narrow and weirdly particular ways as an adult. I was born in '73 so of course I experienced the first wave of the cultural phenomenon that was Star Wars. I eschew the digital Special Editions and yearn for the dated but glorious work ILM did. I am a Star Wars MODEL nerd more than anything at this point, and Rogue One, though digital in nature, looked like it was going to pay respectul attention to the details that I personally find important in a Star Wars movie. And it did, and I am happy/relieved.
Saw it last night in 3D IMAX and will again tonight in 2D, which I greatly prefer.
So that being said, I am hoping like hell that the 2D will mitigate some of the terrible "Uncanny Valley" Tarkin and Leia. I understand their inclusion (Tarkin anyway) and it serves the story and is not gratuitous. And he doesn't even feel over used to be honest... I like the way he behaves as a character, and he sounds and looks CLOSE to Cushing.... but no cigar. So while I admire the effort, they took me COMPLETELY out of the film because it was so weird/cartoony. Vader also seemed off - too "puffy/fan-built" looking in some ways and too clean as he appears post ANH, James Earl Jones' voice is showing his age (nothing we can do about that, the fella in in his mid 80s), and while I applaud the ANH helmet (it gave me a RUSH to see such reddish lenses and the tiny chin grill), the gloves and shape seemed off on his physique, and he just didn't sound/act like ANH Vader. I was hoping for the tinny super angry tone of voice. Seeing him light up a bunch of poor Rebel Fleet Troopers was pretty great though, but if he had looked dirty/smudgy/sooty like he does in ANH, when he's standing on that docking bay platform at the very end? Now THAT would have gone a long way to bridge the Rogue One Vader to ANH Vader. But I don't think he did... I need to check tonight. He just seemed too "perfect" looking.
Jyn Erso as an adult is introduced as a criminal and the transition to rebel is pretty abrupt. I guess the experience of seeing her holographic father will do that? I feel that character arc was a little disconnected or that we could have gotten a little more on her, but I do appreciate how the Rebellion was basically just using her - the Rebel Alliance is pretty disjointed and savage, which is a vibe you don't really get from the original trilogy - and I liked the expansion of them in that regard. I liked The Guardians of the Whills idea/member(s) more than I expected to, the rebels again were well cast and dressed for their parts, and their indecisiveness echoed how the Republic (and sadly real world governments) behave/d, so no problems there. Loved the Kyber crystal being part of the on screen mythos now. The Imperial Defector Pilot guy gets a funny Doc Brown from BTTF moment, and I liked the disgusting mind sucker creature that Saw employed. That felt fresh and new in a Star Wars film. Almost like something out of Dune.
Krennic was a great addition to the pantheon of characters. Pretty much every one was, to be honest. The blue milk cameo got a chuckle out of me, Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan did too. Artoo and Threepio were neatly checked off the list, lol. Seeing Gold Leader and Red Leader again was shocking and wonderful - I teared up a little. I was not expecting to see them and it was an absolute rush to see Y-Wings bomb (but where the HELL were they on the tarmacs on Yavin? Put at least ONE in the fore or middle ground, *****!! Gimme consistency with ANH!!!). The Hammerhead ship ramming into the Star Destroyer scene was AMAZING and I cannot wait to see that again tonight. Poor poor Blue Squadron. Blue Leader seemed like a badass, Ron Swanson mustache and all. As a model nerd to the core, I was pleased with how the ships looked, and am sated.
Seeing Vader's castle on Mustafar was a cool shock - nice to see them recycling the cooler ideas we have known about for decades. And I swear I also saw the Twilek "maquette" sculpt of Bib Fortuna in Saw's hangout. Well played, art department/creature effects nerds. Seeing the DS plan relay race and Blockade Runner escape was a thrill, but then they had to go and show The Polar Express Leia face and I was once again creeped OUT. Right at the damn end. Buuuut seeing Vader coldly angrily look at it from the docking bay was pretty badass. It is a delicate thing, stitching stories to beloved chapters of the saga, and they did an excellent job. If I could just get over the creepy Tarkin and Leia, I would have almost no problems with this movie.
Which leads me to the music... it feels like a close approximation of a Star Wars score, but it's NOT, so I kept feeling like something was off, tonally.
I put this at number three behind ANH and Empire, now that I have slept on it, but The Force Awakens had better character development... buuuut Rogue One is a war movie, and it seems like we usually don't get to know the meat very well before it falls into the grinder. So I'm okay with that.

5821ed1e2389069d27859fe7bd1683b0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a few people now say they were put off or taken out of it by the digital Tarkin and Leia.

Now, I thought they were both very well done. But I know what you mean.

I think as adults we know Peter Cushing is dead and Carrie Fisher doesn't look like that anymore, so we're looking at it a lot harder. I know I was. I think kids and younger audiences probably wouldn't flinch at it so much if at all.

It was only SLIGHTLY better than Polar Express creepiness for me.

But then I think about those sweet sweet one barreled Imperial laser turrets and wanna go see it again YEAHHHHHH

...I've seen a few people now say they were put off or taken out of it by the digital Tarkin and Leia...

Heard from a friend that Leia was not digital but a Norweigian acctess they found to look like Carie in her ealy years and with te help of make up, etc...
Will dig for the source!

cheers
Uwe

It's fine. A good "Huey Helicopter" stand in for a war film.

Also - this film nicely neatly LOVINGLY gives us updated computer interfaces and graphics that FIT with the 1970s ANH vibe. The plans look "right", the terminals look right, and the screens look right. It was EXCITING to see the DS plan "download progress bars" lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen it - my head is spinning!
it was very Star Wars and also not very Star Wars.
I'm confused but in a happy good way.
Not sure if this is a film for my six year old which makes me a bit sad.
Needs more viewings!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back