Question about commissioned deagostini falcon build

the Pawn

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, I need some help. I commissioned a build of my Millennium Falcon and do to a disagreement on the progress and contract of my build with the model builder, I fired him two weeks ago and just received my unfinished Falcon back today.

The agreement with the model builder was for me to send him the parts as I received them from the subscription service and he would then build, customize and paint the model to be a screen accurate ESB filming model with accurate replacement parts from shapeways. I was supposed to received updates and photos on my model as it was being built but I did not receive actual pictures of MY MODEL until after I fired him.

I have made all payments to the builder except the final payment.

Here are the photos of the Falcon build. The model builder has stated that he has over 350 hours into this build so far.

Because I am not a model builder, I am not qualified to make those assessments. But I really do not see 350 hours of work in MY MODEL and I would think that with that many hours in the model then it would be completed.

Please post your comments below and let me know if you can tell from the picture of what work has actually been performed and completed on MY MODEL besides putting the frame together along with the factory and kit.

Does anyone know if the paint job is his custom paint or from the factory?

Thank you for all your help.
499eef056ae0ef40e3799aeb8e94a53e.jpg
c3d8e3478e4007ab3c3b42541555a847.jpg
2f8d26c7fd88e692d318ef09b24694fa.jpg
44d1e6250219e20b2e5f50d43f261737.jpg
af949d40c6883daa61bf4c17368ec1cb.jpg
161b188f3cfbb98e90a012f866ae8bd2.jpg
7f1e75ba24331df9dbb0854dfd0a13dc.jpg
c4ab0562ec9a0287930d9ce7452a764d.jpg
984b0f87baa40abef2a7ae9e0d2ca4c0.jpg
b8c1ffa3d7bdd38035d4811ee62d0b43.jpg
4340041fd3843f9468f0a9a875b27459.jpg
646b122f9a8152bc71a3d2927f572433.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't really see 350 hours of work on that, but I don't know how fast or efficient this builder is. Looks like the top half is still the factory paint job other than the rear deck which looks like it might have been repainted but there is no weathering or detail painting on the top half.

Looks like most of the detail and weathering painting has been done on the bottom but not particularly intricate. The airbrushing on the bottom is a little rough.I still don't see 350 hours of work on that. Maybe someone else can chime in and give their appraisal.

I have the Deag Falcon as well but have not yet begun building.

Not factory finish. The top has been started. The bottom looks almost complete. There are no electronics or battery modules installed. I really don't see 350 hours there. Maybe 80.

TazMan2000

Not factory finish. The top has been started. The bottom looks almost complete. There are no electronics or battery modules installed. I really don't see 350 hours there. Maybe 80.

TazMan2000

That's what I was thinking 80 - 100 hours maybe.

That's what I was thinking 80 - 100 hours maybe.

Yeah. I will add though that he apparently took care in what he was doing. The paint job looks good. The flash might have over enhanced the rust. I did notice he epoxied the upper and lower panel joints for extra strength.

TazMan2000

So he would have had to work on that for 43.75 (8 hours a day) days straight. More than likely if he started a piece and it took him 15 mins, I bet he billed you for the whole hour. How much a hour did you pay him. It might have been cheaper to find a Master Replicas Falcon ;)

Well the cat is out of the bag if anyone is following this mess on Facebook. The builder was Steve Dymszo. I tried to get an opinion on the work without dragging his name through the mud but he had to speak out and so it is public knowledge now.

Well the cat is out of the bag if anyone is following this mess on Facebook. The builder was Steve Dymszo. I tried to get an opinion on the work without dragging his name through the mud but he had to speak out and so it is public knowledge now.

I guess you just have missed this thread in Replica Props.

SD studios - What does Steve Dymszo owe you?

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=215566&page=18

TazMan2000

Yes. But I spoke to some people about him before hand with mixed results. He specifically told me that everyone he owed had been repaid. I have reminded him of that specific fact. There are a lot of people out there that don't care about the members who got screwed over. But so is life. If you read the responses from his supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure some people thought Hitler was a good guy too. :lol
But seriously, sorry to here of your bad luck with him, but I guess we can chalk up another dissatisfied customer dealing with him. I hope you can arrange an amicable resolution with your issue.

You know, it was strange that when I took a look at his work on your MF, I thought to myself..."Hey, this guy is following the instructions on those Steve Dymszo videoes to the letter.

TazMan2000

Well as you can see, I really needed an opinion as to the work done because I have no idea. My post on Facebook group is the same here. No disrespect just a simple question. He dragged his name into it. No idea why.

Well. You have two opinions on 80-100 hours and a few more saying that 350 is way, way too much.

It's a shame you didn't build this yourself. I found mine a real joy to put together.

TazMan2000

I've been told that but I was supposed to get one highly customized with lighting. Etc... stuff I could not do.

There's certain names in this hobby that always bring negativity and Steve is very high on the list. The guy is a sham. Sorry it didn't work out for you.Im no expert but I don't see 350 hrs. Especially when the guy is used to painting and building these things.

Ben

So here is the straw that broke the camels back. My agreement with him took into consideration Shapeway parts and that had been made and would be made. As long as I paid for the parts then the labor was included. When I told him I had purchased these $1,000 parts to add to the model, he led me to believe that the cargo bed and cockpit was finished and he would have to redo them entirely to add these parts. Now what did not make sense was it was his idea initially to redo the cockpit and cargo bay with the correct parts. When he told me he needed more money to make the changes because it was a redo, I requested to see the photos of MY MODEL. None came. I figured he was lying so I fired him and that's when I got the pictures of my model showing he had not completed the cockpit or cargo bay at all. He was just trying to get me to pay him MORE money for work he had already been paid for in the first place.
ae2e418526cb5d7eba88a00cd173f79e.jpg

Does anyone have any reliable recommendations to finish my Falcon. They need to be proficient in fiber optics and wiring besides model building and painting. Thank you in advance. Rick

Does anyone have any reliable recommendations to finish my Falcon. They need to be proficient in fiber optics and wiring besides model building and painting. Thank you in advance. Rick

What i see on the fotos - to finish the model with all the additional stuff and electronics and you mentioned on the starting thread, you are not a modelbuilder.- you need an expirenced builder with knowledge of using the shapeways fud-parts and good knowledge of electronics.
A full description of the final result what you expect is very helpful.
- check if all parts complete and in good condition - i see that pipes on the upper hull already added before the build is done -> risk of broken is higher during the handling of the hulls
- all the additional parts from shapeways needs to build and fit into the hull - the must be cleaned, adapted and glued to the deAgo parts
- the additional electronics and fiber optics needs to be adapted to fit in - any effects planned like blinking boards?
- the additional electronics requires support modules when the will add to the original mainboard, because the mainboard is not able to power up additional leds or and complete replacement board is required - i.E. Arduino board with bluetooth to control the falcon via app on your mobile (i work on such kind of board...)
- i would build up the falcon complete and then do the paint shop.

An finally you need time - to get a perfect result.

Cheers
Torsten
www.scaleautofactory.com

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back