Question about commissioned deagostini falcon build

I am not exactly sure what to say . I guess it is your money and you could have had a Master Replicas for that but at what point did paying 24 bucks a hour sound good ?

Well the agreement was the model was to have a lot of customization with specialized lighting of the cargo hold, floors and cockpit with the addition of the Shapeway upgrades. When he began wanting more money claiming the new Shapeway additions would cause him to redo the cargo hold and cockpit is when I bolted and finally got the photos that proved he had not done anything on the model as he claimed. I made the deal. The money was not the issue. It was when he wanted more money for work he claimed he already finished and was not true is when I had enough as I cannot stand to be lied too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, a built SS X-Wing will cost you around 3-4k. This model is MUCH bigger and more complicated than that. So I would say $8500 for an SS Falcon with a lot of upgrades and screen accurate painting it is not too far off the mark, there is a lot of work involved.

Like I said it was not about the money. I made my deal and paid it. It was about the lying to get more money. That is why he was fired.

Well, a built SS X-Wing will cost you around 3-4k. This model is MUCH bigger and more complicated than that. So I would say $8500 for an SS Falcon with a lot of upgrades and screen accurate painting it is not too far off the mark, there is a lot of work involved.

For a scratch build up...sure. Not for one that is ready cast and has all the parts. Plus , he is giving the parts to the guy before he puts it together. Either way, sorry you got taken.

For a scratch build up...sure. Not for one that is ready cast and has all the parts. Plus , he is giving the parts to the guy before he puts it together. Either way, sorry you got taken.

I don't think you will get a scratch built Falcon for $8500. It will cost you 10k + just for the model parts.

Everyone, I really did not mean to use his name or bring this to a major debate here or on FB. I really just needed some expert opinions on the how much work was done on the model and a percent of completion so I could work out a resolution with him. It was Stephen who let everyone know who I was talking about and brought his name into public light. I really just need some help in resolving the payment issue with him since he was pretty much paid in full for the entire model to be finished and everyone can see where the model stands now. It is a shame that he has not learned anything over these years and continues to focus on himself and money. It really is sad.

Everyone, I really did not mean to use his name or bring this to a major debate here or on FB. I really just needed some expert opinions on the how much work was done on the model and a percent of completion so I could work out a resolution with him. It was Stephen who let everyone know who I was talking about and brought his name into public light. I really just need some help in resolving the payment issue with him since he was pretty much paid in full for the entire model to be finished and everyone can see where the model stands now. It is a shame that he has not learned anything over these years and continues to focus on himself and money. It really is sad.

I did not realize you paid him in full upfront. I
really hope this works out for you.

Well... 8500 for a "perfect" SS falcon not a bad deal... and from Dysmo (like him or not) its got some provence back to the real SS model.

As for the estimate of hours... figure 1/2 hour per issue to clean and assemble on average, base coat of paint... 2 hours to prime and paint. mask of each individual color and paint 1 hour per. here's where things get REALLY iffy. matching the weathering to EXACTLY match the SS Falcon... that can be anoyingly slow as every little spec of paint needs to go to the right spot... is that example that you showed 100% perfect. very debateable - to my eye it looks wrong, but he does have probably the best refrence on the planet for the darn thing.

As for your immediate problem... how to get the project finished... you have to realize that anyone picking up someone else's work in the middle is problematic. In my experience everyone does it - particularly painting - their own way. and with it 1/2 painted and 1/2 weathered... completing it to your satisfaction will be a difficult task... just putting it together and competing the paint is doable but making it all blend seamlessly... will take a bit of doing. the Shapeways extras are not too bad in my experience Fiddly sometimes but too bad.

The electronics of lighting the back with LEDs and the Fiber Optics - I assume to the cockpit and gunner wells- are not terrible

Jedi Dade

So, not judging mind you, am I understanding that all together you would have spent about $11,000 for this build? That's quite a sum. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I've never bought anything on commission and only built one build that could sorta be considered a commission, but I'd recommend paying no more than half up front for
supplies and time and not pay the rest until completion or milestones are made with installments. I hope you get everything worked out.

Bill

Again, so everyone is clear and fair to him. He was fired because he lied to me about how far along he had progressed in the build and refused to send me pictures of my model separate from the other two he was building. My agreement with him was that he would do any Shapeway additions as long as I paid for the parts. When I told him I had purchased a new cockpit and part for the cargo hold, he wanted MORE MONEY and told me that he would have to REDO those parts. As everyone can see from the photos, this was a lie and he had not started the cockpit and the parts could easily be added to the cargo hold. Again, he was fired for his dishonesty and trying to get more money out of me for work he had not performed. I also began having serious concerns if he was capable of doing the fiber optics as some people have pointed out he has already glue parts on that may hinder the electronics.

Got it, understand. Again, I wouldn't pay whoever you decide to go with the full amount up front. I do see there will be done issues having someone pick this build up where he left off but nothing impossible. As for lighting, there are a lot of guys in the starship modelers site that have extensive lighting background s, maybe check that site as well for suggestions. Good luck. I wish I could do it but I would be afraid to not be able to give you what you deserve after paying so much already.

Everyone is different. I hope the following is helpful.
To give anyone reading this an idea of how I do commission builds (in basic terms) is...

Trust goes a long way in commission builds. You may not know the builder and the builder may not know you. So, open communication is a must.
Fully understand and agree on what client wants.
An expected build time (1 week, two months and so on).

Payment arrangements can be agreed upon. What I like to try and do is something like...
1/3 payment upfront with the kit (kit and all add on/extras are supplied by the client).
1/3 payment when I prove that I am half finished.
Final payment (with shipping) when item is fully finished and ready to ship to my client.

Note: a payment can also be something tangible like a model kit. The client and builder would have to agree upon this at initial conversation.

This payment arrangement gives the client (if needed) the ability to afford the build. It also helps keep the builder motivated to get the job finished. Builder not working on the kit equals builder not getting paid.

Be understanding if either party has an issue. Such as but not limited to: health issues, money issues (can't make payment this month is next month ok), vacations, holidays and so on). Note: this also comes back to open communication.

The above may not be for all but may be a helpful guide for anyone looking at having commission work done.

Ok, So this is what I am looking for in a new builder to finish my model:

1. "This is no Cave!" Base with the MF landed in the "Cave".
2. The top will be exposed to see inside the cargo hold with the computers lit up with fiber optics, the wall lights working, the holo table lit up, the gunnery stations lit up, the cockpit lit up, and all the correct landing lights and exterior lights on the Falcon.
3. I have a Bespin Han, Leia. C-3PO and Chewy to be used somewhere in the interior or exterior walking outside looking for Mynocks.
4. The exterior of the Falcon will be screen accurate to ESB and painted accordingly.
5. I have all the Shapeway parts to make the electronics and fiber optics easily inserted.

This is what I was looking to have done before all hell broke loose.

Thanks again,

Rick

Ok, So this is what I am looking for in a new builder to finish my model:

1. "This is no Cave!" Base with the MF landed in the "Cave".
2. The top will be exposed to see inside the cargo hold with the computers lit up with fiber optics, the wall lights working, the holo table lit up, the gunnery stations lit up, the cockpit lit up, and all the correct landing lights and exterior lights on the Falcon.
3. I have a Bespin Han, Leia. C-3PO and Chewy to be used somewhere in the interior or exterior walking outside looking for Mynocks.
4. The exterior of the Falcon will be screen accurate to ESB and painted accordingly.
5. I have all the Shapeway parts to make the electronics and fiber optics easily inserted.

This is what I was looking to have done before all hell broke loose.

Thanks again,

Rick

This was originally agreed with the builder?
BTW: I hope you do not have the "grabby" Satyr's Models figures based on the low poly Star Wars Kinect game-meshes... i would recomment the figures from Werner Leis - Hand made and in high quality.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back