Crawling Hand (Thing)

ROCProps

Hey Guys,
Firstly to indroduce myself, I'm Ryan. I'm a touring Theatrical Props Technicnician working in the UK. I've got a little project on the go at the moment and havent yet decided quite how to tackle it.
So here's the thing. I'm currently working on a project to create a realistic crawling hand. I'm just looking for some materials advice. I have a few ideas of how we could do it but all seem to present their own problems but i'm hoping someone here might be able to help me find the answer. Many thanks in advance.

We have the animatronics so thats no issue. I'm purely looking for skin solutions. We need the skin to be removable like a glove so that we can open her up for mantinance.
Here are my thoughts:

1)Latex, Dip mould a hand, turn it inside out and fit over the electrical parts like a glove. This would also require sculpting some hand shapes to fill it out.
My thoughts on that are that latex is fragile and perishable. It may not last very long with extensive usage.
2) Silicon, mould a positive of the electrical parts in resin. Make a cast of a hand in alginate. put the positive in to the alginate, fill with silicone and then peel that off like a glove.
I think this seems quite a complicated process to get all the part to line up and not breach the silicon and get even spacing around the positive of the electronics.

So thats where i'm at. I'm relatively new to moulding and I really would appreciate any advice.
Hopefully somebody might be able to throw out some ideas for me.
With Love,
Ry

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back