Screen accurate BTTF2 hoverboard foam? What is it?

We'd call it 'foamboard' or 'foamcore' over here, I think: about a quarter of an inch of cheap foam sandwiched between two sheets of cardstock. I don't know what you guys might call it over there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foamcore

Any office supply store or crafts store / print shop should have it; it's frequently used for making large / cheap signs, posters, mounting things to, etc.

As far as I know, it comes in all-white and all-black. You're gonna have to use a less ... chemically aggressive paint on it, not like a rattlecan spraypaint (serious solvents) but something more like the cheap, kid-safe paint you'd find at the craft store (acrylic or latex based).

As for a putty or filler to use on that board, I can't think of one off the top of my head... It's an open cell foam and a cardstock paper; they're not at all easy to sand cleanly...

-MJ

Are you sure there's paper on the BTTF2 boards?

Quarter of an inch would mean four layers as well.

I have tried craft paint but after five costs it still looks terrible.

I think the craft store 3/4"-1" thick foam core in the states here, is actually two smaller cores "sandwhiched" together with glue, then the paper on the outside.
You could use the pink insulation foam from hardware stores. I know Hdtheater uses those for his gravestones. He glued two of them together to make them thick, but one sheet thickness might be perfect for the hover board dimensions.

And is this what the prop department used as per my original question? That's what I'm trying to find out :D

What ever it was made from, the board Marty rides was very light and strong enough to be tech screwed to his shoes. There was a 720P video showing them use a Markita cordless drill to screw through the midsole of the MAG shoes into the board. Before that video, we had been wondering why the screen worn pairs all had the same damage. Same treatment would have been done to MJF's stand ins or stunt guys.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back