Dishonored 2 Rune Charm

The Schlitzie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
20161223_181340_zps7mewa4fa.jpg

Hey guys, some of you might know that I'm a long time Dishonored fan. I have the mask and signet ring that came with the Dishonored 2 Collector's Edition (which is steal for the price by the way!) and I've replicated the Coin of Ten and a Bone Charm from the first game as well but I did not have a Rune Charm and it's been on my list for quite a while. Here's my original Bone Charm build: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=214420&highlight=rune+charm

Dishonored 2 videogame Rune Charm:

20161118_124503_resized.jpg

It was brought to my attention by @theflightyellz that Bethesda had distributed bone runes as a promotional thing for Dishonored 2 at certain points around London in a sort of easter egg fashion it sounded like and after the games release the .STL files were uploaded to MyMiniFactory. Long story short, I commissioned Jason at Blue Cat Lab/ @ssdesigner to 3d print a couple sets of these kits for me to build! (A great print by the way!)

20161202_180623_resized.jpg

The Rune Charm is very close to the in game one but a lot of the detail that you see in the game is in the texture so I'll have to carve that in by hand and I'll be rounding off those edges on the stone (I think it's supposed to be a stone kind of like a big river rock). So anyways, this is my first time building up a 3d printed kit and I'm pretty excited! I've already given most of one kit a light sanding and a coat of automotive filler primer so that I can better see what I have to work with. Progress pics to come.

Attachments

• 20161118_124503_resized.jpg
    20161118_124503_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 265
  • 20161202_180623_resized.jpg
    20161202_180623_resized.jpg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
I'm loving the game! I'll have a rune to keep and one to sell when they're done. I'm already looking at making a couple other items. I'm trying to play through non lethal my first play through.

Nice! I just started playing Dishonored 2, looking forward to seeing this build!

Look forward to seeing how this turns out! The ones that were given away had very little done to them in the way of cleanup (and some parts like the outer 'D rings' weren't included, very cool to own as a collector - but not the best as far as accuracy goes. Would love to see someone do some accurate resin cast bases for bone charms as well.

I'm loving the game! I'll have a rune to keep and one to sell when they're done. I'm already looking at making a couple other items. I'm trying to play through non lethal my first play through.
I'm ready to see how this comes along. I might power up my 3d printer and print me one myself. But I played non lethal my first time and it is 100x better than the non lethal in dishonored 1. There are so many more options and a much higher diversity of play styles. It's absolutely wonderful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed. it drives me crazy seeing print lines. I think a lot of the grooves on the top are actually intentional because they don't go with the grain of the print. It kind of makes it look like wood grain and I was always under the impression that they were stone. I'm gonna add the leather strap remnants too.

Look forward to seeing how this turns out! The ones that were given away had very little done to them in the way of cleanup (and some parts like the outer 'D rings' weren't included, very cool to own as a collector - but not the best as far as accuracy goes. Would love to see someone do some accurate resin cast bases for bone charms as well.

Yeah non lethal is much less frustrating in this one. There's so many paths you can take too, it's great.

I'm ready to see how this comes along. I might power up my 3d printer and print me one myself. But I played non lethal my first time and it is 100x better than the non lethal in dishonored 1. There are so many more options and a much higher diversity of play styles. It's absolutely wonderful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed. it drives me crazy seeing print lines. I think a lot of the grooves on the top are actually intentional because they don't go with the grain of the print. It kind of makes it look like wood grain and I was always under the impression that they were stone. I'm gonna add the leather strap remnants too.

They're carved out of whale bone. There's a piece of lore in one of the earlier karnaca levels that explains how they used to carve runes from the bones of bears as good luck charms - but as sailors begun to harvest the whales they used the leftover bones to craft new runes (the energy from the whale oil being what causes the runes to 'sing').

Hmm, makes sense why you have to break down runes to make bone charms. I'm still smoothing out most of the grain because you don't see any grain in game and it will make it easier the see the Rune detail that you can faintly see around the mark of the outsider.

Those crescent shaped bone charms look really cool! I need to make one of those.

They're carved out of whale bone. There's a piece of lore in one of the earlier karnaca levels that explains how they used to carve runes from the bones of bears as good luck charms - but as sailors begun to harvest the whales they used the leftover bones to craft new runes (the energy from the whale oil being what causes the runes to 'sing').

Hmm, makes sense why you have to break down runes to make bone charms. I'm still smoothing out most of the grain because you don't see any grain in game and it will make it easier the see the Rune detail that you can faintly see around the mark of the outsider.

Those crescent shaped bone charms look really cool! I need to make one of those.

Yeah, the concept art ones were pretty sweet
Bone_charms_art_book.jpegMore_bone_charms.png

Hehe, aww man why did you show me those?! Now I have to make some of those as well. Those are great! I kind of like the simple bone charms in game too, with just the one bone. I would love to cast the bone in a transparent resin and paint over lightly so that the half of the bone glows that bluish color...

Hehe, aww man why did you show me those?! Now I have to make some of those as well. Those are great! I kind of like the simple bone charms in game too, with just the one bone. I would love to cast the bone in a transparent resin and paint over lightly so that the half of the bone glows that bluish color...

If you manage to do it, put me down for one! Would be awesome to see the 'holder' and bone separately as well so you could cast that part in something with a buffable metallic pigment.

I would love to cold cast the base. I need to get a vacuum chamber before I do something like that though. I don't want to make bubbled castings that can't be filled.

If you manage to do it, put me down for one! Would be awesome to see the 'holder' and bone separately as well so you could cast that part in something with a buffable metallic pigment.

Not much notable progress to show, I've just been filling in print lines and priming to see were I'm at. I think the outer rings are just a placeholder for now, i'm gonna try to either find or fabricate something in metal.

rune charm.jpg

I finally got in the airbrush paints to finish this baby up! The downside...my airbrush died on me. I ended up going with some washes which ended up giving me exactly the look i was going for! I still need to drybrush with a some lighter colors over the high spots and assemble it all and add rust and grime to the metal parts but it's coming along nicely.

20161223_095605.jpg

I'm also VERY glad I took the time to sculpt in the shattered bit as it makes it a lot more believable and accurate to the game.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back