Prop party in New Zealand

Unfortunately that degree of travel out of Auckland is off the cards for me at the moment, but I hope you all have a great event and I look forward to seeing pics etc.

Hey all, great to see some fellow Kiwi's on here! And a prop party... :eek

Would love to have been able to come and see what you've all been up to. And maybe show-off some of my collection. What's up with Wanganui?! Prop-making capital of NZ obviously! Lol. Won't be able to make that trip, but maybe next time.

Post pics. Lot's of pics! :)

Hey tmax, nice to hear from you, where in the middle earth are you.
We selected Wanganui as there are already 5 RPFers up there and it was kind of central to where a lot in the area could converge.
I'm from Otaki, Stuart who is coming with me is from Waikanae, we have oota goota from new Plymouth and one or two coming down from Auckland to mention just a few.
From what I could guess you may be from either way down south or up towards Auckland area.
Anyways it is always great to see who is out there and possibly keep in touch for future events.
If by some fluke your in the area please do pop in, we'd love to meet new and old ones from around the long white cloud.

Hey DrMaul, good to see you on the forum here too.
It's a pity you can't make it down, I'm still to try and come up for one of your get togethers for the SWNZ forum, would also be nice to finally meet up.
Maybe one day I'll get back up to Auckland for a holiday.
We'll take lots of pics to post both here and on the SWNZ website.

Hey badges2nz, yeah I'm in Orewa, just north of Aucks. Sorry, I know why you chose Wanganui, I'm just amazed how many RPF'ers are based there! Sounds like the place to be.

Ironically we drove through Otaki just 2 weeks ago on our way back from Welly. Wanted to show my wife and kids the big church there as it has ties with the story of Tarore, which was the story that inspired my feature film, Broken...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhke8cgrarU

Due out this year some time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @badges2nz, yeah I'm in Orewa, just north of Aucks. Sorry, I know why you chose Wanganui, I'm just amazed how many RPF'ers are based there! Sounds like the place to be.

Ironically we drove through Otaki just 2 weeks ago on our way back from Welly. Wanted to show my wife and kids the big church there as it has ties with the story of Tarore, which was the story that inspired my feature film, Broken...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhke8cgrarU

Due out this year some time. :)

Wow, that is one powerful trailer! Looking forward to its release.

Sorry that you can't make it down this far and we quite understand. But you are most welcome to visit at any time!

That is some outstanding work, looks like it will be another new New Zealand iconic movie to come.
Very nice work, must have been some heavy listening to the stories before putting this into a script for filming.
As you went through Otaki did you notice penray gardens on the left on state highway one, just next to that is an old derelict shop that was used in some of the filming of the new pork pie reboot, due out the weekend of our get together, also our crazy mechanic ended up on the movie, don't know how he managed that.
Next time your in the area let me know and stop in, would be great to meet up.

Ok so saturday 4th February is coming around quick.
8am till late, what would you like us to organise as far as lunch is concerned blaxmyth.

Thanks guys for the kind words! Just today got an invite to screen it at the LA Film Festival which is pretty cool. Not bad for a seriously indy film with amateur actors, volunteer crew and a total budget of 80k! Lol.

Back on topic... What is the drive time from Aucks to Wanganui in one run?

Thanks guys for the kind words! Just today got an invite to screen it at the LA Film Festival which is pretty cool. Not bad for a seriously indy film with amateur actors, volunteer crew and a total budget of 80k! Lol.

Congratulations! 'Pretty cool' sounds like an understatement!

As far as Auckland to Wanganui, about six hours easy driving, maybe a bit more for food and comfort stops. I'm sure we can find a bed for you if you do turn up! :)

That is fantastic and what a great effort,if you can make down it would be good to see you.

Ok so saturday 4th February is coming around quick.
8am till late, what would you like us to organise as far as lunch is concerned blaxmyth.

I figured we can put some snacks on, plus there's Dominos for pizzas and good fish & chip shops nearby. Shouldn't be a problem.

Nick K has offered to give a hand setting up, and it'll be based out in the shed, with tables for displays and so on. There's a TV for kids, and folks are welcome inside for the amenities, cups of coffee, etc.

I'll PM everyone with details on where we are, etc, in a couple of days.

I imagine we'll all want to show props, costumes or works in progress, and maybe give a run down on any suggestions and tips we learned. I'm keen to talk about pepakura and fibreglassing, and Nick K has some amazing skills with modelling, and he'll be bringing some of his very impressive scratch built blasters. (Yes Nick, you will.) TheFlatPlat will no doubt have some of his foam weapons and costumes along - really excellent work here.

Fingers crossed that we'll be able to visit a local prop collector which will have your eyes bugging out big time. Only two streets away. This will be a highlight for sure!

Anyway, off now to break the news to my wife that there'll be visitors coming....

I figured we can put some snacks on, plus there's Dominos for pizzas and good fish & chip shops nearby. Shouldn't be a problem.

Nick K has offered to give a hand setting up, and it'll be based out in the shed, with tables for displays and so on. There's a TV for kids, and folks are welcome inside for the amenities, cups of coffee, etc.

I'll PM everyone with details on where we are, etc, in a couple of days.

I imagine we'll all want to show props, costumes or works in progress, and maybe give a run down on any suggestions and tips we learned. I'm keen to talk about pepakura and fibreglassing, and @Nick K has some amazing skills with modelling, and he'll be bringing some of his very impressive scratch built blasters. (Yes Nick, you will.) @TheFlatPlat will no doubt have some of his foam weapons and costumes along - really excellent work here.

Fingers crossed that we'll be able to visit a local prop collector which will have your eyes bugging out big time. Only two streets away. This will be a highlight for sure!

Anyway, off now to break the news to my wife that there'll be visitors coming....

Ha ha ha ha, the best part about all this, you're only just telling your wife now! Ha ha, sounds oh so familiar. Always easier to ask for forgiveness after than permission before. Lol. [emoji6]

That is fantastic and what a great effort,if you can make down it would be good to see you.

Ha ha ha ha, the best part about all this, you're only just telling your wife now! Ha ha, sounds oh so familiar. Always easier to ask for forgiveness after than permission before. Lol. [emoji6]

Haha, you're learning the hard way just like my bank loan for Darth vader.

Congratulations! 'Pretty cool' sounds like an understatement!

As far as Auckland to Wanganui, about six hours easy driving, maybe a bit more for food and comfort stops. I'm sure we can find a bed for you if you do turn up! :)

Working hard to make this happen... Really appreciate the offer for a bed. If we can make it I'll bring my son and a couple of blow-up mattresses, so if someone has some spare floorspace in their garage, that would be awesome. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back