30K Space Marine (Night Lords)

arborealkey

Good evening !

I was hesitating to start a thread about this project at first...but let's give it a try !

First of all, I don't have any precise reference picture for this build. I decided to bring to life a character from the Horus Heresy novels, so the armor and props will be based on how I imagined them while reading the books. I know about ForgeWorld's Horus Heresy Characters Serie, I just didn't want to use any figure as reference.

I'm going for Sevatar, first captain of the Night Lords.

Materials
I'll made the base of the armor out of EVA foam with a density of 45kg/m3, 10mm thick. All details will be made using 5mm thick EVA foam (110kg/m3 density) and craft foam. If you've seen my previous build (the glass armor from Skyrim: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=268251), you know how much I love carving foam. I will do this kind of thing on this armor as well. Battle damages will be made using a Dremel (with the classic sandpaper tip).

Model
Since this is a 30k armor, I'm using the MKIV (Maximus) pattern. However, I'm building this based on some MKVII pepakura files (adapted for foam), modified so it looks like a MKIV armor.
The files I use are the ones here: http://www.therpf.com/f79/jfcustoms...arwars-thread-please-get-me-back-home-148889/
This awesome thread is also really helpeful:http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=179602

Weapons
My character signature weapon is a...chainglaive/halberd/whatever it's called in English (you guys don't know how much I love huge melee weapons). I will use MDF as a core and then put layers of foam over it.
I'm also building a bolt pistol.

PROGRESS

Armor: COMING SOON
I've actually started it, I just need some time to organize my pictures before I can write proper explanations here. Here is a little sneak peak
IMG_20161125_220549.jpg

Bolt pistol
All my cosplays have...blades. Even my Lara Croft has a sword (Excalibur, from Tomb Raider Legend). My Darl Eldar has blades EVERYWHERE. So this is my first gun/pistol/rifle/shotgun ever. After wondering what Heresy bolt pistols look like, I decided to go for a Tigrus pattern. I used an illustration I found on the 40k wiki (I think it's the first one that pops up when you search "Tigrus bolt pistol" on Google Images...). I opened my image with GIMP, kept the main lines only, and printed it to scale 1.

The core of the bolt pistol is 5mm thick MDF. I wanted to be able to remove the magazine, so the black square thing you see on the picture below is hollow (it's made out of foam board). I then added layers of EVA foam (some are 5mm thick, some 10mm thick).
IMG_20161201_220226.jpg
If you were wondering about the size of this thing...Nerf Maverick for scale.
IMG_20161128_201828.jpg

I then sanded the edges and added some details. The flesh colored stuff is craft foam. The orange thing is Patarev, a lightweight modeling clay we have in France (yes, this one is really orange, I didn't get to choose the color).
I also wanted to carve stuff on this prop. The only thing I knew about Nostraman runes is that they're curved. I finally invented my own since I wasn't satisfied with anything I found on the Internet. I carved them with a wood burning tool, that's why they appear in this dark grey color on the picture below: it's burnt EVA foam.
IMG_20161130_180705.jpg

That's all I have for the moment ! I will update as often as I can !

Looks dope dude! Check out my build for some examples of what not to do! haha
For real though, check out all the previous SM builds. I think we all approach things a bit differently, and it's good to know what works and what doesn't.
Going to be following this build closely. ^^

You're going to include the static generator that covers all Night Lords' armor in arcing lightning right?! :p

Wow, you've already started? I'm still drooling over your Glass Armor:)

I'm in. Will be watching this build closely.
:thumbsup

Sorry about the lack of news, I was sick...I didn't even get to paint the bolt pistol (I started though). for the moment it looks like...this (I still need to paint the barrel, weather it and work on some details). I love how this picture butchers the colors (the paint is supposed to be metallic...). I'll try to do another with a better light (it was night...).

IMG_20161213_005040.jpg

Looks dope dude! Check out my build for some examples of what not to do! haha
For real though, check out all the previous SM builds. I think we all approach things a bit differently, and it's good to know what works and what doesn't.
Going to be following this build closely. ^^
I saw your Iron Warrior on YouTube while searching for SM builds and fell in love with the paint job. I've been gathering everything I could find about SM builds (including your thread X)).
You're going to include the static generator that covers all Night Lords' armor in arcing lightning right?! :p
Obviously, what could go wrong ? It's gonna be painted, like it's supposed to be (at least during the heresy).

Wow, you've already started? I'm still drooling over your Glass Armor:)

I'm in. Will be watching this build closely.
:thumbsup
The glass armor is going to get un upgrade in a few months BTW (a real chainmail, differents weapons maybe).

boots and the bolt pistol look great
Thank you ^^

Awesome, I'm definitely getting more and more inclined to try a build some space marine parts inspired by these threads. Thank you, great work.

Sir, that bolt pistol is awesome. I will be watching this thread closely!
Thank you ^^ Here is a pic of the completed thing.
15419591_585534748322352_4818924726080874451_o.jpg

Awesome, I'm definitely getting more and more inclined to try a build some space marine parts inspired by these threads. Thank you, great work.
Thanks ! And you totally should...if you have enough space.

Great start! Keep at it.
I will, I will !

I made the base of most of the pieces (except the helmet and the backpack). This project will not evolve much until the end of February, since I have another costume to complete for two conventions in February (it's a swooping hawk BTW), but I'll try to post at least a few updates.

Oh, and here are some shoulders. Yes, I'm tiny.

16112775_597467197129107_5530762523794495217_o.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back