The Biggest MF - ID Please

yaris

Sr Member
I purchased these Falcons for $50 at a garage sale. I wanted to buy a big Falcon to work on, but they start around $100 here in my country, so when I saw these three for $50 I had to have them.......just really wondering what era they are from???...if you could help me identify them that would be greatly appreciated :)

The two small one's have movable landing gear and a movable ramp.

The big one has multiple buttons for I think sound and at least 2 buttons for shooting little plastics and the mandibles seem to be removable. It also seems to have lights and there is a toggle lever to move the radar dish. The cockpit is very detailed, but no cockpit canopy. Of course nothing is functional and it's missing some pieces.

Thanks in advance for you knowledge ;)

IMG_2164.JPGIMG_2165.JPGIMG_2176.JPGIMG_2171.JPGIMG_2167.JPGIMG_2172.JPGIMG_2169.JPGIMG_2168.JPGIMG_2173.JPGIMG_2178.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Millennium Falcon Experts - Identification Please

The first 2 (the smaller ones) are the MPC ERTL model.

the larger one looks like the legacy falcon by Hasbro... but I'm not the expert on the falcon toys so I might have the name wrong.

Jedi Dade

Agree with the two smaller ones- definitely MPC/ERTL model kits. Great news is that there are a lot of aftermarket accurizing kits out there to rebuild them if you wish.

Yaris, I can confirm the first two images are of the AMT Falcon and the other larger Falcon IS the Legacy/VC Falcon.

Thanks everyone for your knowledge! ;)

The Legacy one seems to sell in complete condition for $300 - $2000!! I love the size of it and maybe it could modded to scale a bit more making the cockpit smaller?? The top detail I think is very good, maybe not super accurate, but I'm not super fussy, just as long as it looks good. Anyway another project to work on :D

Last edited:

Hey Yaris,

You might want to check this thread to see how the Legacy Falcon looks after being modded

http://www.therpf.com/f11/millennium-falcon-hasbro-conversion-complete-194770/#post3041726

Here's some details of the build in this thread

http://www.therpf.com/f11/standard-hasbro-millenium-falcon-any-conversions-121571/index2.html

and if you like Hasbro conversions...

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=177385

Thanks everyone for your knowledge! ;)

The Legacy one seems to sell in complete condition for $300 - $2000!! I love the size of it and maybe it could modded to scale a bit more making the cockpit smaller?? The top detail I think is very good, maybe not super accurate, but I'm not super fussy, just as long as it looks good. Anyway another project to work on :D

Hey Yaris,

You might want to check this thread to see how the Legacy Falcon looks after being modded

http://www.therpf.com/f11/millennium-falcon-hasbro-conversion-complete-194770/#post3041726

Here's some details of the build in this thread

http://www.therpf.com/f11/standard-hasbro-millenium-falcon-any-conversions-121571/index2.html

and if you like Hasbro conversions...

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=177385

Thank you for those links Junk Pilot.....this big toy seems to have much potential;)

Last edited:

It sure does. With only a 3% difference in scale I started to modify my Legacy Falcon and bought more than a few kits for the conversion but when the Hero Series Falcon was released it got put on the back burner and pushed back even further with the De Agostini Falcon.

Thank you for those links Junk Pilot.....this big toy seems to have much potential;)

It sure does. With only a 3% difference in scale I started to modify my Legacy Falcon and bought more than a few kits for the conversion but when the Hero Series Falcon was released it got put on the back burner and pushed back even further with the De Agostini Falcon.

I do like the Hero Series Falcon, seems to be more accurate than this Legacy falcon, but I can't find one under $200 and it's 60cm long, where the Legacy is 80cm long;)

The Hero series Falcon is a mix of details from both the 5ft Falcon and 32in Falcon. Both this and the Legacy Falcon are a great basis to make a good size Falcon replca.

View attachment 687823This is my Legacy.
Chris

Looks great!!....do you have a a build thread?

What do you peeps replace the oversized cockpit and cockpit access with on the Legacy Falcon? I'm thinking of scratch building mine as I want to increase my skills, I think some folks take the cockpit off a smaller falcon and adapt it to the legacy? I'm not having an open cockpit as so I'll save time and energy there.

I have to be careful, because when I built my 30" X Wing, it was so tempting to through out more of the toy and scratch build, but you get to the stage where it's just as easy to scratch build the whole thing:rolleyes and I don't want to do that especially on the individual parts hog the falcon is:D

Last edited:

The 32in ESB Falcon used a 3in (outer) diameter Plastruct tube as the cockpit tube. Since the scale difference is roughly 3% between studio scale (32in) and the Legacy Falcon (31in) then if you use the 3in tube you should, in theory be able to use a DeAgo cockpit cone or a Shapeways replacement.

I'm pleased the Legacy is bigger, more work I think, but I love the size.

Legacy left, Hero right

mf size compare.jpg

By the way the radar dish on the Legacy Falcon is too small and you should replace it with a 3" Plastruct dome VHD-300.

And if you plan on keeping your Hero series Falcon for a future project the original radar dish is too big for it....
P1100782.JPG

...but the Legacy dish looks good on it.
P1100781.JPG

I sold a legacy for $340 recently, you scored. :)

The 32in ESB Falcon used a 3in (outer) diameter Plastruct tube as the cockpit tube. Since the scale difference is roughly 3% between studio scale (32in) and the Legacy Falcon (31in) then if you use the 3in tube you should, in theory be able to use a DeAgo cockpit cone or a Shapeways replacement.

Thx JP for that detailed info. I've gutted this beast and I want to keep this real simple, so I'll scratch build the cockpit with a 75mm pipe tube and work out something simple for the actual cockpit, probably some sort of funnel, I don't need internal cockpit so just need a similar shape.

Do you know of any accurate elevation drawings to use for reference? I'm cutting the landing gear boxes down/off so any links would be great;)

I gutted mine of the interior and the electronics as well and it's a complex setup given all the features the toy has. However, my project has now been put aside indefinitely. Time will tell.

As far as I know there are no accurate drawings at all and there are very few elevation drawings as they all seem to be plan views, even the De Agostini blueprint.

With the landing gear boxes it's very easy to go for the dremel to cut them off but I chose to use a razor saw. It's a lot slower but I felt I would have more control over the cut and I was very happy with the results as it required very little cleaning up.

P1090311a.jpg

P1090314a.jpg

P1090316a.jpg

P1090317.JPG

P1090318a.jpg

P1090329.JPG

P1090333.JPG

P1090327.JPG

This was one option for me to cover the opening left by cutting on the landing gear box, inserting the part into the opening from the inside. The alternative was using sheet styrene.
P1090334.JPG

This is the starboard docking ring cut down but it's better to have a couple of spare docking rings from the port side which wouldn't have the hole in the centre or the step where the part of the hull was.
P1090269.JPG

Do you know of any accurate elevation drawings to use for reference? I'm cutting the landing gear boxes down/off so any links would be great;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back