Modified ACES space suit budget speed build

JaggedNZ

I've taken on the challenge of building a Modified Advanced Crew Escape Suit, with the aim of completing it to wearable state for my office christmas party in a weeks time.
Due to budget and time constraints I am going for "B movie accurate" not "replica accurate" (though I think it still should look better than most hire/rental suits) and I'm not planning to build a helmet, gloves or backpack.

I've started by taking references from another members (Teachherinspace) post http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=203913&highlight=aces and website http://birdpaintings.net/handmade/astronautti-naamiaisasushuttle-astronaut-aces-suit?lang=en

Currently I've got fabric cut and sewn for the main components, body, arms and legs. Tonight I plan on making the pockets & pouches and added the stitching details for the gas plugs, then I should be able to start sewing it all up and adding the finishings. Fabric is a reddy orange and changes tone a lot based on lighting. I hope I'm close to international orange and it avoids road worker / safety orange look...

OaFyuCz.jpg

As this is the "Modified" version I will be installing Red/Blue gas plugs (ala. A7L suit)
I plan to make these and the neck ring from MDF on my OX CNC router and I have some 4 inch plastic tube to use for the cuffs. Planning on using aluminium tape and paint to finish them.

Some things I would appreciate help with are the following:
- Any patterns or help with patterning a snoopy cap?
- Idea's for weathering the suit so it looks like it's just returned from a mission?

Also I have noticed some photos (like below) show a hose going, I think, from the anti suffocation valve on the neck to a regulator? connected to the valve? on the left thigh, is this correct? and what is its purpose? or is this wiring for the helmet comms?
I plan to install valves from dust masks at these locations, which I can modify to mount hoses, etc. too if time permits.
692983main_astronauts_baseball_1420x1062.jpg

I'll try to update as I progress.
Thanks to the members here who have supplied much inspiration to this project :)

Attachments

• 57e52_pumpkin-suit-shuttle.jpg
    57e52_pumpkin-suit-shuttle.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,420
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back