Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007) Michael Myers Escape mask and Buried mask re-work!

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks!

I had a tiny bit of free time and decided to whip up a 2007 Myers Escape mask

I did a quick and dirty clay sculpture, which I applied paper mache over top of. I built up a few layers, and then removed the paper mache mask from the sculpture. I had initially planned on using some clear laminating resin to harden it up further and keep the paper look, but I will be very busy over the next three weeks.. I didn't have time to let it cure properly so I used some Onyx Fast to reinforce the mask.

From there, I covered the mask in aluminum foil and masking tape to make a template. The mask is made up of several pieces with specific shapes and layering. Once I had templates I was happy with, I glued it down onto the the hard shell and boom! One Myers Escape mask.

I didn't grab as many photos as I would have liked, but here is the sculpture after removing the paper mache. The templates. And then the finished mask.

IMG_0559.JPGIMG_0577.JPGFD8184FC-2641-4E05-9136-0F7B7DE192E4.jpg

I have a Buried mask from Dela Torre coming in for a repaint and hopefully I will grab more photos along the way than I did with the Escape mask!
Anyone want any tips or tricks as I paint this latex mask?

If I can't get it done soon, I may be updating this thread in the new year. All depends on how much free time I have, but keep an eye out!

Love that escape mask. I've never gotten a Buried, but I've always loved the have. It'd be a great addition to my collection.

Thank you! I really love the whole Buried series. I'd love to add them all to my collection someday but this one is good enough to start with. :)

Love that escape mask. I've never gotten a Buried, but I've always loved the have. It'd be a great addition to my collection.

I know to most, especially on this board, this is just a piece of latex with some hair. Much like folks attempt to find their own Holy Grails, this is one of mine. I have been in the Myers scene since the early 2000's and the Rob Zombie mask is second only to the original for me. Wayne Toth's work is absolutely stunning, and I have always wanted to own a hero. Well this sculpture, with my paint job, is as close as it is going to get.

I recieved my Buried and man is it a stunner! In terms of the sculpture, I think it is the very best of the best out there. Dela Torre really outdid himself on this one. That being said, he really only has one style of paint. Dark base coat, white dry brush, yellow rot. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but I think it could be more accurate to the film mask.

IMG_0390.JPGIMG_0391.JPGIMG_0392.JPG

I started by removing the existing hair and paint, and 8 hours or so of paint work later, I have the best Myers, or perhaps the best thing, I have ever painted!

Now I'm not exactly a talented photographer so I've captured the mask in several different lighting set ups and will share them with you now. Each different lighting scenario shows off different things. Some places it's white with yellow rot, others it is dark grey with green rot, and others still it is a mix of all of it and then some. I really feel like this is the most accurate to the film paint job I have ever done, even recieving compliments from the artist who painted the originals and Myers himself Tyler Mane! To say I'm pumped would be an understatement!!

Here is my finished Buried repaint!
CCF7DEB6-F219-44C3-A1E4-97E9D73993A6.jpgIMG_0825.JPGIMG_0824.JPGIMG_0823.JPGIMG_0816.JPGIMG_0812.JPGIMG_0811.JPGIMG_0810.JPGIMG_0800.JPG

Here is a quick before and after.
0D7371E0-93F5-48B9-88DD-3B349ECD16FC.jpg

I have touched up some areas here and there since these photos and I have a new camera lens coming so you will be seeing more of this guy again in the future! :)

I saw those pics in the Michael-Myers.net Facebook group. That's as professional looking as it comes. Not to say Dela Torre doesn't do a good paint up, but dang that is a stunning repaint. You really channeled the spirit of Toth when you painted that.

Thank you, I really appreciate it man! I give every paint job my full attention, and this one being such an important one to me personally, I had to give it 110%. Jamie Grove actually painted them for the film I believe.

I love the paint job Dela does, but he just doesn't have the time to do this style with each mask. like I said, this was 8 hours or so of paintwork. You're not going to match the movie look with 20 minutes of paint!

I saw those pics in the Michael-Myers.net Facebook group. That's as professional looking as it comes. Not to say Dela Torre doesn't do a good paint up, but dang that is a stunning repaint. You really channeled the spirit of Toth when you painted that.

Hey folks!

I had a tiny bit of free time and decided to whip up a 2007 Myers Escape mask

I did a quick and dirty clay sculpture, which I applied paper mache over top of. I built up a few layers, and then removed the paper mache mask from the sculpture. I had initially planned on using some clear laminating resin to harden it up further and keep the paper look, but I will be very busy over the next three weeks.. I didn't have time to let it cure properly so I used some Onyx Fast to reinforce the mask.

From there, I covered the mask in aluminum foil and masking tape to make a template. The mask is made up of several pieces with specific shapes and layering. Once I had templates I was happy with, I glued it down onto the the hard shell and boom! One Myers Escape mask.

I didn't grab as many photos as I would have liked, but here is the sculpture after removing the paper mache. The templates. And then the finished mask.

View attachment 686532View attachment 686533View attachment 686534

I have a Buried mask from Dela Torre coming in for a repaint and hopefully I will grab more photos along the way than I did with the Escape mask!
Anyone want any tips or tricks as I paint this latex mask?

If I can't get it done soon, I may be updating this thread in the new year. All depends on how much free time I have, but keep an eye out!

I made one a looooong time ago. I see you made a pattern. My son likes MM so if you don't mind I saved the pattern.

I'll let you guys know how it turn out.

Thanks for the pics. Maybe I can make a more accurate one this time. :D
-Jay

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back