Pepakura materials question

Fk23

Hi,

I've made a couple of pepakura props in the past and have just finished the paper/card construction for my next, a full helmet modelled on the Machine56 Bonehead helmet.

I have two queries.

I saw someone using a fiberglass cloth, rather than material, material, and have yet to find anywhere selling it. I usually use the fiberglass sheeting you get at car repair shops and haven't managed to Google anything other than boat repair kits. The stuff I saw seemed a lot more user friendly.

The other query is what filler is favourite. I have been using Isopon P38 which is another car repair tool, probably the closest thing to the US's Bondo brand. I have applied this thinly, thickly, repeatedly, and in varying combinations, and never get a lovely smooth finish. What am I doing wrong? Would using a pre-mixed wood filler give me a better result? I can't work out what I'm doing wrong, the last thing I used went on really thinly and spread really thinly in layers and I still didn't get the finish I wanted no matter how much I sanded.

Thanks in advance if you can point out what on earth it is I'm doing wrong.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back