Gundam RX-78-2

BattleGrade

Long time Gundam fan of course, so here is my meager attempt at a Gundam RX-78-2 build.
This is just some random work as I go, completion goal is May/2017.

I chose the RX-78 as I own a perfect grade version and the pieces are easy to scale.
After I made this little turd chart things got easier. heh

DSCN7497.JPG

I am using cardboard then plastic coating as my skeleton/base.
I will skin it with EVA or some other covering.

I chose to build from the ground up.
So I started with the foot/shoe as my starting point for a scale.

I printed a few different scales of the Gundam foot until it fit my shoe size positioned at the "Gundam" ankle point.
All up hill now, heh...

I'll try and post progress as I go.

DSCN6084.JPG DSCN6145.JPG DSCN7427.JPG

DSCN7442.JPG DSCN7444.JPG DSCN6586.JPG DSCN6649.JPG

DSCN7451.JPG DSCN7469.JPG DSCN7460.JPG
DSCN6699.JPG DSCN6481.JPG
DSCN7499.JPG DSCN7500.JPG

DSCN7505.JPG DSCN7511.JPG

So this is going to be one of those slow projects that takes a year and more. heh
I have been trying to squeeze in some time on the build while I have it and got .01% further.

I have realized that skinning this with the foam will be the chore or its just going to look like poop.
Lots of facets to do and cut at the right angle to make clean. Fun, fun... Umm not yet.

Most of the seam I can just ignore as they will be covered by the next overlapping layer.
Hopefully this just works out as I am going for it now and any screwups will be battle damages. Ha
Here is some skin work on the right foot, stilt, leds, base glued final with a couple layers to go.

front.JPG side.JPG side2.JPGback.JPG

I can't find any really dark red EVA at the thickness I need so its compromise time.
I found some thin stuff that was close but that meant doing even more skinning as it only comes in 1/8 thickness.

No way! That adds probably another 50 facets per foot to cut and align and I ain't doing it. heh
So I found this 10mm mat playground stuff and I guess its close enough just wish it was darker and 12mm.

red.JPG

Finished the fingers on the gloves and the palm button panel for the animation actions to the micro.
It's about all done and I can load play any wav sounds based on button combos etc.
I plan on about 12 total user actions and a few automated ones that just run all the time.
I will have one in panel in each palm.

DSCN7583.JPG DSCN0845.JPG

Bought a crap ton [200] of blue and red leds to lite small plexi windows and slots here and there.
Wiring should be a chore.

led.JPG

I have a concept on the jet pack and so I will go for it.
I found these water plant plastic deals at Micheals, I was like "hey" those are perfect for the jets.

jets.JPG dfan.JPG

Then being a RC flier I was like hey why not put a small duct fan in a bifercated hose system to the jets.
I will have the front intake fins open in and the front can be the air intakes kinda animated by the jet powering on and off etc.
Well so I bought the stuff and off we go. Mind you this thing is crazy insane loud and probably pushes the limits a tad.
But I thought this would be cool visually/sound wise, I mean it roars and sounds like a whinny jet engine.
If you ever heard one you know what I mean, not to mention it pushes some air quite well. ;)
It will be a while before I get to the chest and pack so its just on the table for now as a concept.

I'll try and update soon.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back