Star Wars Holiday Special poster

themightyclem

Hi folks! New member here - One collectible I've had going for a while now are the theatrical movie posters for every star wars movie so far. I have not, however, been able to find a holiday special poster anywhere! I know the holiday special isn't exactly the most sought after or loved star wars film ever but I'd like to try and grab a poster just for collections sake. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Ideally the poster would be 27x40 inches.

Thanks so much!
-Clem
7raclymc.jpg

That looks either fan made or possibly just an ad that was run in maybe a TV guide when it originally aired. I really doubt any official Star Wars Holiday Special posters were ever produced.

I don't think the Special was ever in theaters. It aired once on tv and quickly disappeared.

Yeah... it does look fan made. You could probably make one yourself and get it printed, or have someone make it for you and then you can print it. It shouldn't be that expensive to have an artist re-create it. I would say, one-two hours of work max for maybe $50-$60 to have the artwork ready to print. The most time would be spent on finding the photos used in the piece, somewhere online.

I've never gotten through it, but I do watch Redlettermedias recap as a new Christmas tradition.

The OP one is a fan made poster copying the layout of the TV guide ad of the time.

image.jpeg

I am not aware of any official poster. I can check with an excellent source to see if one exists, though.

I found about 90% of the images used in creating the piece... so it wouldn't take someone that much time to create the art in a high enough resolution for printing a full size poster through Posterburner.com.

27 x 41(04) posters were only the standard size for movie posters, the special was a TV thing-y so there was probably something but more like a trade ad in Variety. There IS a presskit that was made by Fox but they are pretty hard to find.

27 x 41(04) posters were only the standard size for movie posters, the special was a TV thing-y so there was probably something but more like a trade ad in Variety. There IS a presskit that was made by Fox but they are pretty hard to find.

I agree. A poster for a T.V. special from this time period would have been an insert in a paper such as Variety. It definitely would not have been a 27x40 or 27x41 since its not a theatrical release.

Doing some minor searches in some poster auction histories, this poster has never been brought to auction. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, however, I am inclined to think it was more ad than poster.

In my long dealings with Lucasfilm (especially with regards movie posters), I'm not aware of any such poster and indeed the comments above are IMO correct.

In all honesty, the thumbnail you posted is terrible because not only is the composition horrible but a poster of that era would normally have been a painted illustration.

In my long dealings with Lucasfilm (especially with regards movie posters), I'm not aware of any such poster and indeed the comments above are IMO correct.

In all honesty, the thumbnail you posted is terrible because not only is the composition horrible but a poster of that era would normally have been a painted illustration.
I sense a Mark Raats original painted version in the future. ;)

I recall that there was a poster for the Holiday Special...I believe that it was described as “2 - ply” for some reason?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back