My "Stranger Things" Prop Display I'm Working On...

Gimpdiggity

Master Member
Hello all!!!

I posted a thread the other day with a specific question about a prop display that I've been working on, and I got a couple of comments mentioning that they'd like to see how it ends up looking...so, I decided to abandon that specific question thread and introduce a "build" thread of sorts.

I watched "Stranger Things" in just a few days, which with my schedule is about as "binge" as watching can get. I loved pretty much every moment of it...not the least of which the awesome props and pieces that reminded me of things when I was growing up. I was browsing the Junk Yard here on RPF, and found a user...SSDesigner...was selling a lot of the Dungeons and Dragons figures that were used in the show, along with the compass that Lucas used in the show. SSDesigner accepted the offer that I sent him, and in short order I had the props in my possession. While they were on the way, I started thinking about how I'd want to display them...and I came up with a loose idea that I'll be using, and maybe changing slightly as I go along.

First up...here are the figures...

CC02DB74-7C56-4584-A037-A40CF2135BD0_zpsuoncsd5o.jpg

The Hydra has been assembled with CA glue, and the Demogoron will be opened. My original thread was specifically asking about opening the Demogorgon...I wasn't sure whether that was a good idea or not...I'm not usually one to hold onto things like this with an intention of getting a return on my investment, but I also wasn't 100% sure that it was a good idea to open the piece. Well, a user contacted me via PM...I'm not sure if he wanted his information to be public because he didn't post in my public thread, so I'll keep his username private unless he posts in this thread...and mentioned that the figure that I have is basically a "newer" version of the original, because the original never came in a package like the one I have. That isn't to say that there is anything WRONG with the piece...it's from the original mold and made by the original manufacturer...it's just to say that there's no real reason to leave it in the package. So, that settled that...the Demogorgon will be coming out of his package!!!!

This works because it went along with the other couple of members who chimed in, and actually fit with my ideal vision of the display.

As of this time, I will be leaving the D&D figures unpainted...this is because...frankly...I've never painted miniatures, and I'm afraid I'll do a TERRIBLE job...and then they'll look WORSE than they did if they weren't painted at all.

To be honest, when I was looking at the pieces in the ad in the Junk Yard, I couldn't remember off the top of my head if they were actually painted in the show or not...it wasn't until finding ANOTHER thread here on RPF that I realized that the pieces were in fact painted.

I have a couple of ideas for how to handle this:
1. I have a 3D printer, so I will be printing some "game figures" and painting them up with the acrylic paints I have laying around. I figure if I do a bunch of them, maybe I can get some techniques down to feel comfortable enough to do a very basic paintjob on the figures to get them a bit more screen accurate.
2. I have reached out to a couple of members here who do paint figures, to see if they offer their services. One member has responded already and mentioned that he is thinking about doing a run of painted figures from the show, but he needs to paint his own first to see how long it takes and if it would be worth it to do them as a run. I told him that if he ends up doing it, be sure to let me know. In the meantime, I'm also keeping my eyes and ears open locally to see if I can find anyone that paints these things. I have a friend at work that does tabletop gaming with a group, and I've asked him to ask around to see if anyone is any good at it. We'll see.
3. Finally, I have the option of just leaving them unpainted...we all know that everything in our world existed in the Upside Down, and everything in the Upside Down was in poor repair...I'd guess that means that the Dungeons and Dragons figures there wouldn't have paint on them at all. ;)

To go along with this display, I've also sourced a Realistic brand TRC-214 radio. It's the same radio that Mike used in the show. It's in good condition, and squelches...but the seller didn't have a second radio to fully test it, and I don't have a second radio to test it, either. I'm guessing, though, that since it turns on and squelches, there's a good chance that it works. I may eventually get a TRC-206, which was the radio that Lucas used...and in that event I'll be able to test them together.

Here is the radio here...

TRC-214_zpsdazyxkif.jpg

I've found some paper props to go with the display as well...to be more specific, I've found the "Missing" flier for Will Byers that was shown in the show. This is a prop made by another member here on RPF, and posted in the Paper Props section. It's screen accurate, 8x11 sized, and made to be printed on a standard printer. It will work out perfectly.

My goal for the display is to take one of the shelves on one of my shelving units and "black it out." I'd like to have the back wall, the sides, the top, and the bottom of this specific shelf all black. I've got a couple of ideas for how to do this...first is to get some black vinyl and cut it to shape, effectively covering all of the wood finishing with the vinyl. Second, is to build an actual box out of thin wood, then paint the inside and the front edges of the box black...then fit that box onto the shelf so that it takes up the entire open area. Finally, I could cut felt or velvet and mount it to the sides, top, back, and bottom with some form of adhesive. I'd like to have it be something that can be removed if I ever want to move this display so that I can continue using that shelf in the unit without it being black...so I'm not sure which method I'll use yet. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!!!

Finally, for the first build of the display, I have had a seller on Etsy cut me an edge-lit acrylic sign. This sign will have a wooden piece that mounts to the top and houses an LED strip that changes colors. It's remote controlled. My shelving unit is right in front of a plug, so a small hole drilled in the back will allow the sign to be plugged in, and the sign will be hung at the back of the shelving unit from the upper shelf. The show's title screen is what is cut into the sign, so I'm hoping that when lit up it will give the appearance that the title is "hanging" just in thin air behind the props. I'm also hoping that the lights are bright enough that even with a little bit of light in the room you'll be able to see it.

This is the sign here, without the LED apparatus attached...

strangerthings_zpsxnrehe0i.jpg

For now, this is the basis of my display. I'm thinking of some other things to add as well...such as the Pentax MX 35mm camera that Jonathan Byers used in the show, and I'm hoping that there will be enough room to potentially add some small props from season two when it comes out.

I'm REALLY hoping that in season two there is an example of a vintage 80s RC car. RC cars are my other main hobby, and it would be great to get a chance to build something like an RC10 or an old Nikko vehicle to display along with these other props, and actually have it be screen accurate.

That's it for now...let me know what you guys think!!! I'll be posting more photos and such as things come in and I get the shelf set up.

Thanks for checking out my thread!!!

Last edited:
Hello all!!!

I posted a thread the other day with a specific question about a prop display that I've been working on, and I got a couple of comments mentioning that they'd like to see how it ends up looking...so, I decided to abandon that specific question thread and introduce a "build" thread of sorts.

I watched "Stranger Things" in just a few days, which with my schedule is about as "binge" as watching can get. I loved pretty much every moment of it...not the least of which the awesome props and pieces that reminded me of things when I was growing up. I was browsing the Junk Yard here on RPF, and found a user...SSDesigner...was selling a lot of the Dungeons and Dragons figures that were used in the show, along with the compass that Lucas used in the show. SSDesigner accepted the offer that I sent him, and in short order I had the props in my possession. While they were on the way, I started thinking about how I'd want to display them...and I came up with a loose idea that I'll be using, and maybe changing slightly as I go along.

First up...here are the figures...

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/...9-1125-432B-B6AC-4CF0071EC7CA_zps7c3fxpdm.jpg

The Hydra has been assembled with CA glue, and the Demogoron will be opened. My original thread was specifically asking about opening the Demogorgon...I wasn't sure whether that was a good idea or not...I'm not usually one to hold onto things like this with an intention of getting a return on my investment, but I also wasn't 100% sure that it was a good idea to open the piece. Well, a user contacted me via PM...I'm not sure if he wanted his information to be public because he didn't post in my public thread, so I'll keep his username private unless he posts in this thread...and mentioned that the figure that I have is basically a "newer" version of the original, because the original never came in a package like the one I have. That isn't to say that there is anything WRONG with the piece...it's from the original mold and made by the original manufacturer...it's just to say that there's no real reason to leave it in the package. So, that settled that...the Demogorgon will be coming out of his package!!!!

This works because it went along with the other couple of members who chimed in, and actually fit with my ideal vision of the display.

As of this time, I will be leaving the D&D figures unpainted...this is because...frankly...I've never painted miniatures, and I'm afraid I'll do a TERRIBLE job...and then they'll look WORSE than they did if they weren't painted at all.

To be honest, when I was looking at the pieces in the ad in the Junk Yard, I couldn't remember off the top of my head if they were actually painted in the show or not...it wasn't until finding ANOTHER thread here on RPF that I realized that the pieces were in fact painted.

I have a couple of ideas for how to handle this:
1. I have a 3D printer, so I will be printing some "game figures" and painting them up with the acrylic paints I have laying around. I figure if I do a bunch of them, maybe I can get some techniques down to feel comfortable enough to do a very basic paintjob on the figures to get them a bit more screen accurate.
2. I have reached out to a couple of members here who do paint figures, to see if they offer their services. One member has responded already and mentioned that he is thinking about doing a run of painted figures from the show, but he needs to paint his own first to see how long it takes and if it would be worth it to do them as a run. I told him that if he ends up doing it, be sure to let me know. In the meantime, I'm also keeping my eyes and ears open locally to see if I can find anyone that paints these things. I have a friend at work that does tabletop gaming with a group, and I've asked him to ask around to see if anyone is any good at it. We'll see.
3. Finally, I have the option of just leaving them unpainted...we all know that everything in our world existed in the Upside Down, and everything in the Upside Down was in poor repair...I'd guess that means that the Dungeons and Dragons figures there wouldn't have paint on them at all. ;)

To go along with this display, I've also sourced a Realistic brand TRC-214 radio. It's the same radio that Mike used in the show. It's in good condition, and squelches...but the seller didn't have a second radio to fully test it, and I don't have a second radio to test it, either. I'm guessing, though, that since it turns on and squelches, there's a good chance that it works. I may eventually get a TRC-206, which was the radio that Lucas used...and in that event I'll be able to test them together.

Here is the radio here...

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/Gimpdiggity/TRC-214_zpsg8ox9exa.jpg

I've found some paper props to go with the display as well...to be more specific, I've found the "Missing" flier for Will Byers that was shown in the show. This is a prop made by another member here on RPF, and posted in the Paper Props section. It's screen accurate, 8x11 sized, and made to be printed on a standard printer. It will work out perfectly.

My goal for the display is to take one of the shelves on one of my shelving units and "black it out." I'd like to have the back wall, the sides, the top, and the bottom of this specific shelf all black. I've got a couple of ideas for how to do this...first is to get some black vinyl and cut it to shape, effectively covering all of the wood finishing with the vinyl. Second, is to build an actual box out of thin wood, then paint the inside and the front edges of the box black...then fit that box onto the shelf so that it takes up the entire open area. Finally, I could cut felt or velvet and mount it to the sides, top, back, and bottom with some form of adhesive. I'd like to have it be something that can be removed if I ever want to move this display so that I can continue using that shelf in the unit without it being black...so I'm not sure which method I'll use yet. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!!!

Finally, for the first build of the display, I have had a seller on Etsy cut me an edge-lit acrylic sign. This sign will have a wooden piece that mounts to the top and houses an LED strip that changes colors. It's remote controlled. My shelving unit is right in front of a plug, so a small hole drilled in the back will allow the sign to be plugged in, and the sign will be hung at the back of the shelving unit from the upper shelf. The show's title screen is what is cut into the sign, so I'm hoping that when lit up it will give the appearance that the title is "hanging" just in thin air behind the props. I'm also hoping that the lights are bright enough that even with a little bit of light in the room you'll be able to see it.

This is the sign here, without the LED apparatus attached...

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/...C-1FF9-42C0-9953-44E7EA3E1C22_zpsap3rshfi.jpg

For now, this is the basis of my display. I'm thinking of some other things to add as well...such as the Pentax MX 35mm camera that Jonathan Byers used in the show, and I'm hoping that there will be enough room to potentially add some small props from season two when it comes out.

I'm REALLY hoping that in season two there is an example of a vintage 80s RC car. RC cars are my other main hobby, and it would be great to get a chance to build something like an RC10 or an old Nikko vehicle to display along with these other props, and actually have it be screen accurate.

That's it for now...let me know what you guys think!!! I'll be posting more photos and such as things come in and I get the shelf set up.

Thanks for checking out my thread!!!
I posted a thread and I made mike's walkie with a soundboard,its always neat..I also made a kinda replica of lucas with the soundboard too..the lucas one is a bit different but it did the trick..you might want to check out the soundboard idea,people seem to get a kick out of it..One question,who did your stranger things acrylic?
https://youtu.be/Vdj0gZ08528

Attachments

• IMG_9232.JPG
    IMG_9232.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 177
Very cool collection so far man. Does anybody know the exact compass Lucas has. I notice most people have one...is it a common found compass somewhere?
hewito - i saw that build of yours, very awesome! you could probably offer that as a service, hint hint. lol.

I might make the alphabet wall with the lights in one corner of my shop since tis the season to get cheap lights at thrift stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool collection so far man. Does anybody know the exact compass Lucas has. I notice most people have one...is it a common found compass somewhere?
@hewito - i saw that build of yours, very awesome! you could probably offer that as a service, hint hint. lol.

I might make the alphabet wall with the lights in one corner of my shop since tis the season to get cheap lights at thrift stores.
Its quite easy and I will be more than willing to provide a list of things needed and how to put it together..No charge of course,this forum is the best!

I posted a thread and I made mike's walkie with a soundboard,its always neat..I also made a kinda replica of lucas with the soundboard too..the lucas one is a bit different but it did the trick..you might want to check out the soundboard idea,people seem to get a kick out of it..One question,who did your stranger things acrylic?
https://youtu.be/Vdj0gZ08528

My acrylic was done by this shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/EnglerEngraving

That radio with the sound board is AWESOME.

@hewito - i saw that build of yours, very awesome! you could probably offer that as a service, hint hint. lol.

I will look at the compass when I get home from work. It's brand new so I assume it's something relatively easy to find.

Its quite easy and I will be more than willing to provide a list of things needed and how to put it together..No charge of course,this forum is the best!

I would love to know what is needed to do it! That would be great!

I will look at the compass when I get home from work. It's brand new so I assume it's something relatively easy to find.

you got it my dude...give me one second,I am looking for it.

here is an old thread I made..if you dont find enough info let me know. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=265644

one more thing..I bought a hunters rayovac,replaced the light bulb with an bright led(less battery too) and installed a ecig,when you turn it on smoke comes out..Check the you tube(the motor sound louder that it actually is)you could make more holes and even attached an small fan for more effect,I did it to kind show when she is looking for will in the dark forrest the fog from the light makes it more realistic..(sorry for such a crappy video)IMG_9566.JPG

https://youtu.be/iV_CmciKYeo

Re: My "Stranger Things" Prop Display I'm Working On...

My TRC-214 has shipped...I'm hoping it arrives Friday or Saturday.

My acrylic sign shipped today as well!!

I also came up with a good way to "blackout" that shelf. I'm going to get some black "Con-Tact" brand shelf/drawer liner. It's self adhesive and easily peels off when you're done with it. It's got built in measuring blocks on the back of it, so it should be really easy to get it cut to shape and installed on the shelf.

I'm hoping to have this display basically done in the next week or so, as soon as everything arrives. I still need to decide exactly WHICH shelf I want to use on this shelving unit, though. I'm thinking it will be the highest one...that way no cats will ever be able to manage to grab one of the D&D figures. :lol

Last edited:
I decided not to worry about changing the color of the shelf, for now.

Here is the sign, hung and lit. The room actually has two lights on, but this shelf is placed in a corner so it doesn't get a ton of light, which makes the sign look great.

strangerthings2_zpsmfbmr8sn.jpg

Here are the other props, for now.

strangerthings3_zps6zswskw7.jpg

I've got a stand that I made for the compass so that it's not just kind of leaning against the back of the shelf. I've also got to print the Missing poster for Will Byers...my printer is, apparently, out of ink.

To go along with these, I've got a few more things on the way.

I've got a mint Pentax MX body coming. No lens, but I think I can probably find a lens for it pretty easily...it's got it's dust cover on it, so it doesn't look "incomplete." This is the same camera that Jonathan Byers used in the show.

I've also got the wrist rocket slingshot that Lucas used on it's way.

I'm still trying to source a few other things, but once those arrive I think the display will look really good.

Last edited:
Alright...

Today I picked up two of the Boley dinosaurs that Mike has at Walmart...they don't make the sounds, but for $1 each they'll suffice.

I also ordered a replica of Hopper's badge, so that will be a great addition. That shelf won't look that bare for too long!!

Oh nice! could you PM me a link to that badge? I might have to grab one.

Alright...

Today I picked up two of the Boley dinosaurs that Mike has at Walmart...they don't make the sounds, but for $1 each they'll suffice.

I also ordered a replica of Hopper's badge, so that will be a great addition. That shelf won't look that bare for too long!!

I picked up a cool little stand/case for the compass. I was having trouble getting it to stay upright, but that shouldn't be an issue any longer.

E7A2D763-F3AA-4748-96CB-7F937154A060_zpsl2rnmoke.jpg

I also added a little extra lighting to the whole thing...

D4F313FD-F68D-4FCA-AD38-E757876656BD_zps1fecf9jy.jpg

The Christmas Lights were a suggestion from a friend at work. I found a small set of them that run off of batteries at the craft store, and they turned out to be pretty perfect for the display.

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry if the pictures were having issues...I accidentally deleted my ENTIRE main folder on Photobucket. Sigh. I hit select all to try to select everything on a single page to delete...but I guess it selected every single picture in the folder.

I was able to get the ones from this thread saved, so they should be showing up now...but the old links were broken for a minute.

Getting some help from other users here on RPF...

To go along with Hopper's shield, I've got the shoulder patch for the Hawkins Police Department on the way, along with a Hopper name plate. I'll probably take all of those and put them in a shadow box or frame of some kind to display on the shelf with everything else.

Alright guys...we got new computers at work, and I haven't been able to get onto one of them in order to print another Will Byers missing flyer...

...however, I did get some goodies in the mail today!!!!

CB373380-E304-487B-9ED8-CD500A60D219_zpsajhio0ds.jpg

This is a Pentax MX body...it's in really good condition, and was one of the better examples of the camera that I was able to find. It doesn't have a lens, and I'm okay with that...it's the camera that Jonathan Byers was using in the show, and he certainly would have had more than one lens...so the body alone is a perfect addition to the display. That said, I may look for a lens for it...in fact, I may have some old SLR Pentax lenses in a camera bag in a closet...I've got to see if it's still there or if I threw it away during a spring cleaning. Apparently they used a TON of these cameras in the show because they kept getting smashed, so there's almost no chance the ones they had were completely mint, and they probably were actually different cameras from scene to scene...so the slight wear on this one would probably be very close to any of them that they used on screen.

Next up is my Hopper badge...this thing is REALLY nice...it feels pretty high end in the hand, has a great finish, and feels like a real badge (I wear a badge in my line of work, and this feels similar in weight and overall feel to the one I wear). I've got a couple of other Hopper pieces on the way, and I'm thinking about displaying all of them together in a shadow box that would be on the shelf. Good stuff.

593F1B56-76D4-4C56-8F1C-71280242D0B7_zpspnaapk9a.png

E8A552B5-6C19-44CA-9F9E-8CE736240EDC_zpszjyrx1lv.png

I'm thinking that the slingshot should show up in the next couple of days, so I'll have another piece to add to the shelf. I'm really liking how it's coming along now!!

I got my Hawkins Police Department badge in a few days ago. Man! You weren't kidding. That thing is solid metal. It's got some heft to it. It looks amazing! I ordered a shoulder patch too.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back