Eclipse’s playmates Tricorder thread!

eclipse74569

So, I recently came upon some of Gerry's electronic upgrade for the Playmates Mark VII Tricorder toy.

I had been toying with the idea of making my own electronics a la Alex Kalcher, but I found that Gerry's electronics would be the cheaper alternative. I set out to make my own graphics (I like Gerry's, but I wanted mine to stand out more than the rest) so I used Alex Kalcher's template and made my own. I then went to my local Pharmacy, and printed them off on a 4x6 photo paper, and set out to cut them out and the holes for lighting out (mental note, I do not have a steady hand with an X Acto knife.).

So after all was said and done, I used the Mylar that was provided by Gerry to diffuse the lights. The margin of error was acceptable to me.

639fda43a7736ff62100cb22b6b7f1b1.jpg

ebad302571cfb67340093a3d041eabe0.jpg

The one thing I had yet to figure out was how to get lighting inside the door of the toy. Luckily, Alex Kalcher had a plan to use brass in the plastic hinge system to move electrical current to the door. I decided I was gonna try this out. So I went to Hobby Lobby, and couldn't find brass tubing and rod, so I settled for copper. It's my hope this works well, and the plastic and paint insulates the circuit.

7eb14f78a7221eae593b461e87527603.jpg

d75bbcd42eb1c79f579932dc2cdc021b.jpg

You can see I haven't quite cut the pieces yet. Wish me luck on this folks!

Last edited:
Re: Another GMProps playmates Mark VII Tricorder

Love these things, always wanted a tricorder maybe one day lol when I finally get all my other projects finished :)

Definitely. Had a chance to work with the hinge system this morning before my doctor's appointment. I just need to find my wiring so I can hook this baby up lol.

I've seen this :) very awesome!!

Copper in the door part of the hinge

83ac2d6cdc565afa7e93641b664159bf.jpg

Copper in the hinge itself. I bought everything just a tad too small, but it'll still work and completely fit the way I want it to.

75ff5fe7161ae4bf9b2a71f46d0851e7.jpg

357f40632bcf5bc59498b9a111777455.jpg

d882fe0ecfaf8fd8baaa3fc620e1daf5.jpg

I've got a lot more work on this to do. My plan is to have the entire door sealed, puttied, and smooth like the rest of the body. Gonna buff out the copper to allow for easy soldering, and hopefully find my wiring so I can hook this baby up to the electronics (just found out the kit actually has a positive and negative lead on the viewscreen board, super stoked about that)

Work has progressed slowly. Just so everyone knows. I'm about to buy some more Solder so I can finish this baby up!

Did a little more work on the door and have one hinge finished and will be working on the other one today or tomorrow one :)

Another GMProps playmates Mark VII Tricorder

Finished the hinge electronic system. Tested and!

de5c10288fbd7015c523d8157c9d265e.jpg

27307742e1625ea6441067ec89b8dec7.jpg

They work!

I also managed to instal the magnets as well. I used Gorilla Glue Mounting tape to secure it. Shouldn't have any problems with things becoming lose, but I also plan on using hot glue as well to secure it tightly.

Decided to take a picture of door working. Using weak battery

749f1c0badbf39db7e0783b9c8a27a45.jpg

Last edited:

Coming along nicely this, I love doing these sorts of builds the satisfaction at the end is well worth the effort :)

Well done so far. Could not have done better myself.

I am curious to see how you will handle the top array.

Those are the only graphics I will use lol I've thought of using acrylic strips sanded down. Then buying a Titanic model to use that railing, but that is too much work lol

GUYS BUMPING FOR NEWS!!!

Can't find Krylon Castle Rock? Or the original Dove Gray?

Got Valspar in your area?

RUGGED SUEDE is a close match!!!

It is still a bit darker, but it's not that noticeable!

Pics!!

aafcf2f73012a0e2f7d38b74f52a38ae.jpg

99f0e93f65e6c3f8f43d8a9fc095afb3.jpg

Front sensor array needs another white coat where they go, but I'm happy with the results

Last edited:

enjoy!

The door LED's...I think are underpowered due to me using a higher resistor...oops, but next time!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back