Jurassic Park - Landsat Poster

Rymo

Sr Member
The Kong: Skull Island "Landsat" poster from San Diego Comic-Con inspired me to make a similar poster of the island of Isla Nublar from Jurassic Park. I love the idea of making fake satellite imagery of imaginary places. It seems to add a little bit of reality to the story.

The shape of the island matches the island seen on one of the computer screens in the film. The island details are composited elements taken from actual Landsat imagery of islands around the world. The clouds and ocean are also composited from real satellite images.

It’s still a work in progress. I need to change some of the details in the text portions and clean up the island a bit, but other than that I’m pretty happy with it.

Full print size will be 18”x24”.
nublarsmalllabel.jpg

I'm also working on one of the island of Isla Sorna from The Lost World: Jurassic Park. It's in the pretty early stages, though. Not much to show yet.

Last edited:
Great idea!
I have seen actual height maps, taken from the Hawaii islands that matches the look from the film at a few places around the web, like the late JP legacy forum.

Great idea!
I have seen actual height maps, taken from the Hawaii islands that matches the look from the film at a few places around the web, like the late JP legacy forum.

Cool, I'll have to look for those. My islands are purely artistic interpretations. I'd love to take the time to make them match a height map, but that may take a while.

Here is the progress I've made so far on my Isla Sorna Landsat image. The clouds are placeholders and will be changed on the final version. The text details are also placeholders for now. I've got some clean up to do on the island, but the basic shape is there.

sornasmalllabel.jpg

Those are both really cool. Are you using Photoshop to clip and layer the images? And what kind of resolution are you able to get from the real satellite photos? In other words, will you be able to make a large print?

Great job,
Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

In other words, will you be able to make a large print?

Ha, I just noticed that you mentioned that in the first post. 18x24 is a good size.

Yes, I'm using Photoshop. The project is 600dpi.

Most of the satellite imagery was good enough that the printed poster will have plenty of detail. There are a few places where the source material wasn't great, but I used pieces of it anyway because I really liked the images.

Those are both really cool. Are you using Photoshop to clip and layer the images? And what kind of resolution are you able to get from the real satellite photos? In other words, will you be able to make a large print?

Great job,
Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, I just noticed that you mentioned that in the first post. 18x24 is a good size.

Last edited:
The Kong: Skull Island "Landsat" poster from San Diego Comic-Con inspired me to make a similar poster of the island of Isla Nublar from Jurassic Park. I love the idea of making fake satellite imagery of imaginary places. It seems to add a little bit of reality to the story.

The shape of the island matches the island seen on one of the computer screens in the film. The island details are composited elements taken from actual Landsat imagery of islands around the world. The clouds and ocean are also composited from real satellite images.

It’s still a work in progress. I need to change some of the details in the text portions and clean up the island a bit, but other than that I’m pretty happy with it.

Full print size will be 18”x24”.
View attachment 683140
Neat! Reminds me of the sat map that a guy named Titio Neto did a while back, in the mid 2000's. Only, he used the 3D maps found in the interactive CD-ROM for his base: Neat! Reminds me of the sat map that a guy named Titosauro did a while back, in the mid 2000's. Only, he used the 3D maps found in the interactive CD-ROM for his base:
isla_nublar_relief_map_by_titossauro.jpg

InteractiveCDROM.png

Here is the progress I've made so far on my Isla Sorna Landsat image. The clouds are placeholders and will be changed on the final version. The text details are also placeholders for now. I've got some clean up to do on the island, but the basic shape is there.

View attachment 683467
Gripe I have on this one: you're using the old prop map from the earlier, pre-San Diego script for your base. The map in the final film actually uses different topography, The clearest view we get of this map is on John Hammond's computer screen when he's talking to Ian Malcolm.
jurassic-lost-world-movie-screencaps.com-1139.png

Though, we do get a halfway decent look at the same typography on the map in the trailers:
jurassic-lost-world-movie-screencaps.com-2227.png

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back