How would you tackle this? Concentric discs.

pandabarnes

Hi,

I'm trying to make some clash of clans/clash royale coins, before I've even got to the struggle of casting etc, I can't work out how to make the master! I want to make it myself, or use found stuff like washers etc, but not look wobbly and rubbish.

Screenshot is attached, basically the coin is a disc, with a smaller disc on each side, and a flat ring around the edge on each side.

Simple enough, but cutting by hand won't ever give me a round disc, cutting compasses seem to always move slightly.

my current thoughts;

3 sizes of hole saw, cut the large circle x 3 - then cut a hole out of 2 of those to make the outer ring, and finally cuy 2x the inner circle. This will, I think, not give a clean enough disc.

make a router jig for smaller circles and do the entire thing that way, route the groove, then route the outer circle out - this will be quite the learning curve!

anyone have any ideas on how to tackle this one? i'm guessing i've missed a simple approach!

Thanks.

clashcoin.jpg

Depending on what sizes you are wanting I would suggest going by a Home Depot/Lowe's/Hardware-Mega-Mart type store and looking at their washer selection. Their are some rather large ones for special uses- they could be in several departments so draw out in actual size what you are looking for and show it to a clerk. The clerk should be able to help you find what you need.

What would be best to make your mast mold from?

wood or metal?

either way... I'd suggest maybe finding your local makerspace...

(or if you have one yourself)

use a lathe (wood or metal) make the outer diameter the desired size.. and then use another tool (perhaps a cut off tool) to make the ridge/channel around the inner portion.

shouldnt take more than 15 minutes on a lathe

Recommend making a 'sandwich':
1. Find some PVC tubing (pipe) of appropriate diameter & wall thickness to make the 'outer ring' by cutting 2 slices for thin rings (cut thicker than needed then later sand to correct thickness.)
2. Draw 2 different sized squares on a sheet of thick styrene, one the size for the tubing OD, plus another 2 matching the diameter of the center face disk. Then draw diagonals connecting the opposing corners to find the centers. Use a compass to mark the bounded circles on the faces, then drill a hole (same size to allow for chucking into a dremel tool or regular electric drill) at each intersection.
3. Trim roughly to the drawn circles. Then stack the two smaller disks (don't glue) onto the chuck shaft. Mount in the power tool and then run at a slower speed against a sanding block or file to finalize the disk shapes.
4. Glue & clamp the styrene disks together in a sandwich, using the center holes on a shaft to ensure proper alignment.
5. Glue and clamp the PVC 'rings' to the styrene disk 'sandwich' using epoxy glue, rolling the assembly on a surface to set the alignment before clamping.
6. Once all is 'cured', chuck and sand the outer rings to the proper thickness and to smooth out the outer seam, filling as needed. Once done, insert a styrene rod of proper diameter into the center hole, the fill & sand. Prime and polish to the desired finish.

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back