"All wings report in." My Red 1-6 X-Wing Project

Here is 3 of them together.

26957357562_a15b609d44_z.jpg

26448159033_7db8ce8302_z.jpg

27051709215_3324f63ca0_z.jpg

Thanks for looking and the reviews!

Victor3, yes they are all very different. Almost none of the color or weathering differences come across in the film. The special edition of ANH drives me nuts now because each digital ship is a version of Red 2 copied over and over. I didn't realize that until I started researching each x-wing.

Awesome job, love them. Like the others I thought your Revells looked great but I guess you weren't happy with the detail in the kits. I'd love to hear more about your painting/weathering process, the weathering on these is as good as I've seen. I'm in the VERY early stages of scratch building a McQuarrie style X-Wing and I'd love to hear some tips for the painting.
Rob

Awesome work, mate. I finally can visualize my own shelfes when I finaly get to mass-produce my army of X-wings :) ;)
Have finished Red 5 so far with at least 7 kits in waiting line ( 5 remaining Reds, at least one Rouge One blue wings and maybe also one f the black ones too )
Great colormap for each bird too, definatly helps my plans.

Love this project.

The new Bandai X-wing boxing imported by Bluefin (1/72 and 1/144 2-pack) has markings for Red leader (Red1). I was surprised by the markings and colors on the decal sheet as I hadn't noticed them all before.

Are you planning on using those for your red leader?

Toad, robn1 is correct. I'm working on the ANH versions of the red squadron. The bandai red leader pack is correct for Rouge One, which is not correct to build Garven's bird.

Absolutely gorgeous paint jobs. Like others have said, I had no idea the variation between them all. I guess it helps to see them side by side and motionless instead of while you are engrossed in the film. I had never noticed the SE digital repaint either. Having read through the making of book and recently the Ralph Maquarie book I am surprised Lucas wanted them more uniform since he was so insistent that the Rebels were a rag tag make do kind of organization and they would be lucky to have the type of ship much less the same paint job.

Re: "All wings report in." My Red 1-6 X-Wing Project

Toad, robn1 is correct. I'm working on the ANH versions of the red squadron. The bandai red leader pack is correct for Rouge One, which is not correct to build Garven's bird.
Thanks, didn't know this!

Any insight into why the differences exist?

I really don't know.

You would think ILM would respect their legacy designs but they seem to favor the copy/paste method with a single digital model. All the x-wings in RO are all the same with only minor variations between them.

In TFA all the x-wings are bang on the same, no changes at all. Black leader is the same as the blue x-wings, just color swaps. In the special edition of ANH all the digital x-wings are Red 2 with minor changes to the side band. In ESB Red 5 is a repaint of Red 3.

Its a mess and I have only studied a fraction of the reference on all the x-wings.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back