Beauty and the Beast (Post-release)

Surprised there isn't more discussion about this film, seeing how it beat BvS opening I figured at least a few people here would've dropped some comments. B&B was my favorite Disney animated feature from the 90s so was really looking forward to this, and it didn't disappoint. I'm still very partial to the original, but this was a solid live action adaptation and the added scenes gave the characters some much needed depth. I didn't care for the new songs but then again, the bar is set so high by Menken-Ashman in the 90s. I thought the critics were a bit too harsh, but the reviews nor the LeFou non-issue clearly had little to no impact on box office performance. Looks like Disney's gonna dominate the 2017 box office again with B&B and Ep8.

My wife and I did an appearance (as Belle and the Beast) for the premiere and a few other theatres as well over the weekend and the reaction to us and the movie was fantastic. Took the family to see it Sunday and everyone enjoyed it. I thought it was a great live action adaptation - although as stated by third3ye, I wasn't fond of the new songs either.

IMG_2794.PNGIMG_2795.PNG

Last edited:
I took my 2 1/2 year old daughter to this as her first (Movie theater - Movie) and we had a blast - I was a little worried it might be to scary in parts but she is into the live action stuff - loves Labyrinth / Harry Potter/ Star Wars etc...so figured we would be good. I liked that it cleared up some plot holes from the original - added some higher stakes to the curse and the payoff at the end reached beyond just Belle and the Beast-

I was okay with the new songs they told more of the story - sure they will not be as catchy as the originals but it was a plot moving device I get it.

It did turn my Daughter against Gaston - in the animated one she thinks he's " A silly dum dum" - direct quote but after this move she said "Gaston is mean...not nice...I don't like him"

overall enjoyed it and was a great first Movie for her.

In principle I'm normally against embellishing upon a well-crafted classic story but I think the new songs and the additional background material genuinely added an appropriate level of depth to this story. Had they translated the animated version directly to live action without added character development I think the story would not have stood up. In the "original" they fall in love ... just because ... and it's entirely plausible in animation. In the live action, when they talk about their isolation and their past, it doesn't feel like vandalism but it makes their romance more plausible and more poignant.

I had reservations about Watson because she seemed too "stiff" for the part but her quirkiness actually enhanced the part. Belle was always supposed to feel like an outsider and, in this movie, you feel it.

At first the new songs seemed off-putting and out of place ONLY because I knew the originals so well. "Evermore" initially perturbed me because it was so unexpected. I eventually settled in and now I like it. My 4 year old was crushed when the Beast let Belle run off to her father, but as he was singing "Evermore" she was standing in the theater bawling in complete 4 year old angst staring at the screen.

I really didnt know what to expect when we went to see it. I hated how Phantom & Les Mis were turned into movies. Not just the singing but how they "showed too much". In a theatre the Opera House or Paris exist in my mind. The same old syndrome of the movie looking nothing like you imagined when reading the book (or watching a play). I was a tad worried even that the same would happen with my favorite Disney film.

And it didnt! It was weird even as it felt, well natural I guess, like it had always been a live-action movie. I totally agree with what was said here about character developement. Really loved it.

I have to admit that I totally broke down (in a good way) when Evermore started. Such stunningly beatiful lyrics and music. It really hit a right key in me. An added bonus is that it fits in my vocal range perfectly so I can get good vibes using it as a warm-up piece (I sing in the opera choir).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back