CAPTAINCOX Polar Lights 1:350 TOS Enterprise FINISHED.

CAPTAINCOX

Sr Member
Hi Guys

Thought I post some of the progress on my PL TOS Enterprise build. There has been quite a few really good builds based on this kit and I have been sifting through a lot of threads for tips and how to's...

DanielB
trekriffic
Pedro
Jason Ware

just to mention a few, cheers guys for posting, it has helped a lot.

One of the hardest parts to build/paint on this kit is the darned Bridge. As most peeps I got the Paragrafix Photo Etch kit and I also did some graphics for the bridge screens myself in Adobe Illustrator and had it printed on Slide Film (Cheers DanielB)
ENTERPRISE TOS MASTER.jpg

For the crew figures I tried to paint to the Paragrafix PE figures but was not happy with them as they looked to 2 dimensional somehow. I even did a crew as Waterslide Decals but to fiddly to cut out and did not look clean. Finally I got me the Naval Figure Set from L'arsenal (seen some ppl using them for this kit).
IMG_3870.JPG
They are 1:350 but slightly to big for the Kit Bridge but in my opinion the best balance between 3D form and paintabillity.

I also modeled the Crew Chairs using Rhino and had them printed at Shapeways, the result is at least better then the miniature "Chair Bumps" from the original kit.
Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-14 um 08.09.05.png

I think if one can pull off a relatively clean build/paint job of this Bridge one can build anything :p Dam was this hard, the result is ok...could always be better but I had call it a day and get on with the rest of the kit.
fullsizeoutput_7cc.jpegfullsizeoutput_7ca.jpegfullsizeoutput_7c9.jpegfullsizeoutput_7c8.jpegfullsizeoutput_7cb.jpeg

The Bridge is about the size of a 1€ Coin so its DARN SMALL!. Why put in the effort one might ask as it will barely be visible in the kit, I guess cause its fun and knowing that Kirk and co is sitting there makes it worthwhile :p. I am thinking to get a Acrylic Display Case for the model and one could get one of those "Magnifying Glass" stickers and place it over the bridge, not sure if I pull that off.

I also finished the Shuttlebay but forgot to take Photos, might post them later but.

I also got rid of those "Groove Lines" on the saucer (PL is now making a 50 Year anniversary kit without them but it will be released later in December I think).
Had to fill them in like 3 times before they were completely gone, using Wet Sanding between each layer of Primer...what a boring job that was :(
IMG_3898.JPGIMG_3899.JPG

Now I will simply get on with the rest and I also have to wait for a new PCB from Take2/PL as the Light Kit I got had a faulty one (I am almost 100% sure thats what it is)
Posted that story HERE.

Cheers Guys

Last edited:
Re: CAPTAINCOX Polar Lights 1:350 TOS Enterprise WIP

Hi Guys

Cheers Bilbo Baggins.

Finally finished the model and as I got the Acrylic Display Case yesterday I thought I post some pics.

IMG_3928.JPG
Built a Display Stand using a wooden frame cladded with Styreen (makes it easier to paint and almost no need for extra finish work).
The Translucent base was backlit using a LED Chain I got at the local hardware store.

IMG_3930.JPG
Shot of the tiniest bridge in the world :p

IMG_3943.JPG
Got me a Spock figure from QMX...Kirk is on its way...looks pretty cool next to the model.

fullsizeoutput_7cf.jpeg
I tried to tune the Electric Engines to make them as quiet as possible,
there is still some noice but with the Display Case sitting o top of the model its barley hearable.

fullsizeoutput_7cd.jpeg
Another shot with Spock

IMG_3953.JPG
I also got a Magnifier lens that I put on the top of the Display Case and you can actually see the bridge in x3 magnification now.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-20 um 12.24.43.png
As a last finishing touch I did a Data Sheet as graphics that I will stick to the Translucent baseplate but that I will probably get after X-Mas.

Oh and as a last extra I got me a cheap MP3 Player and put some sound clips on a USB and you can play it using a remote :) now how nerdy is that...YAY.

Pretty cool Model in the end I think and she does make a nice Display.

Cheers Guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your model looks great!

I'm going to try and build this next year... I'll be happy if it turns out half as well as yours!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back