Grey 6: Studio Scale Y-Wing based off Dave G's Open Source Project

Craggs - not a stupid question to ask at all. The learning curve for 3D modeling and printing is a bit steep but you should be encouraged to dive in if it interests you. Just don't expect perfect results overnight! As far as software, I do all of my 3D "hard surface" modeling in Rhino and SolidWorks, though those programs as not cheap. You can get a 90 day fully functional demo/learning copy of Rhino to try out. AutoCAD has a pretty nifty suite of free 3D modeling programs called 123D Design with which many people have had good success.

For organic sculpting models the hands down best software is ZBrush, which is also not cheap, but the same company has a free program called Sculptris which has many of the same functions.

And whatever you do, stay away from SktechUp, it's more trouble than it's worth, as least as far as creating 3D printable models is concerned.

Good Luck!

This is favorite part about the Green Leader Project, Dave provides the sub-structure and after that its anything goes! You show that you don't need $2500 work of vintage kit parts to make a screen worthy Y-wing.

Awesome show, great job!

And whatever you do, stay away from SktechUp, it's more trouble than it's worth

I could not agree more! I hate sketchup! We get drawings at work for pieces that clients want laser cut or grown and I always end up redrawing whatever they send us. Also I think the only hick up with the free version of Rhino is they limit the number of saves but its been a while since I've used the trial version.

Just to clarify my dislike of SketchUp... it was once my main 3D modeling program. SketchUp is a great 3D sketching program. That's what is was originally designed to be. It was (is) free and the learning curve is easier than many 3D modeling programs. There are a couple of major issues with it when it comes to modeling for 3D printing. It is really a mesh modeler, so there is no such thing as a curved line or surface. Also as a model gets more complex you are much more likely to have problems with what are referred to as "water-tight" solids which are a requirement for 3D printing. There are so-called "shrink wrap" programs which are supposed to fix this but in my experience they don't work all that well.

And I don't believe there are any save limits with the Rhino Trial but I'm not sure.

Sorry, I didn't mean to divert attention away from Scott's great Grey Leader build.

No worries! To add to the discussion about 3D modeling and printing...I use 123Design. It has limitations, and the more complicated the build the more likely the program will bog down and crash. But, I have used it to good effect on a lot of projects ranging from quad-copter parts, to lightsaber props, to Grey 6.

As for printing at home, I have only recently gotten into that. I used 3D printing services (like Shapeways) for years before I put down money on a printer. Like Dave said, don't expect to make perfect prints right out of the gate. I was expecting to make good prints immediately because everything I sent off to Shapeways came back spot on...needless to say that didn't happen. It has taken me a few failed prints to learn what my machine can do and for me to design with the capabilities of my machine in mind.

This is favorite part about the Green Leader Project, Dave provides the sub-structure and after that its anything goes! You show that you don't need $2500 work of vintage kit parts to make a screen worthy Y-wing.

Awesome show, great job!

GOD how I wish $2500 worth of vintage kit parts was the number I stopped at... lucky you!

I used a rattle can grey primer as the base and everything over top of that is Vallejo Air colors. The nose and domes are Insignia White (darkened up quite a bit during weathering), the strips are Medium Grey 114, and the body is a mixture of Light Gull Grey, Light Ghost Grey, Dark Gull Grey, Dark Ghost Grey, and Medium Gunship Grey (on the nacelles). The wings and body all got differing amounts of the grey colors to give the ship some color profile. Its very subtle and the weathering nearly makes that careful spray work disappear, but the darker shades were sprayed in the naturally shadowed areas for a post-shading effect.

Took some time away from my Y to work on some other projects, but all the parts and nernies are installed! I just need an astromech, and she will 100% complete.

I tweaked some of the tubes and wires going down the top spine of the ship, build a stand for the model, and finally designed and printed my own version of the ion cannon turret. Anyway, here are some photos! Once I get the astromech designed and printed I will upload a final glamour shot or two.

Many thanks to DaveG for making this model possible, and to Studio Kitbash for the resin nernies and all the technical advice! Thank you gentlemen!!

by Scott Peterson, on Flickr

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back