Batman v Superman Batcomputer Chair Build

denniscdickinso

Hi everyone,

This is my first prop build post...so thought I'd start it off with a bang. I'm making a Batman v Superman batcave themed office space...and thought in addition to my batsuit and other props that it would be great to get the chair used in the movie. It gives me a project over time to work on...plus the chair will look amazing when done and help the theme of the office space. For those unfamiliar, the chair used at the batcomputer is a modified RFM seating Verte 2200 chair with black accents.

Here is the stock version:

batmans-chair-batman-v-superman-1.jpg

And here is the movie version (screenshot taken from the Google Maps batcave tour):

batmanvsuperman chair.PNG

Several visible mods were done to the chair to get it to the movie version, including:
* Slimmed down headrest cushion
* a metal shroud around the headrest support
* Different back rest cushioning
* reupholstering the seat cushion, with a bit more padding on the sides
* Different arm rests in metal...longer and curve towards the back
* A six leg chair base made out of flat metal

The only parts I think I could have any form of difficulty with are the chair base and arm rests...since I would need them fabricated by a metal shop or something. Getting them powder coated to match the rest of the metal is easy enough to do and find. If anybody has any recommendations on metal shops that would be willing to take on small jobs like these for a decent price in the Philadelphia area, I'm open to options.

I have the chair now and will post about the ordering process...unboxing...assembly and what I have done so far.

Cheers!

Okay, I have the chair on hand now and have some beginning pics...so a little about the ordering process:

I ordered the chair from a company called 247ergo. They serve as a go between RFM Seating and you...as individual people cannot place direct orders with RFM. The order was placed on October 8th at a discount of several hundred dollars compared to the list price. Still...the chair is fairly costly and I had to sell one of my other props to make up the difference (Matrix SPH-N270 phone). The total cost was about $1,200...with about $900 being paid for by the phone selling. It was worth it though as I'll get much more use out of the chair and it fits the office theme. Anyhow, while RFM promises a 10 day workaround (247ergo a 2-6 week turnaround), there were multiple delays with the order. Parts apparently were not in stock to build the chair and took time to build. Normally as long as this is communicated to me, all is good. However, 247ergo was vague with updates until I directly asked for updates whenever there was a delay. RFM wouldn't even talk with me since I wasn't their direct customer, despite having the PO number. All worked out though.

The chair itself got here yesterday on 11/9/16. It came in two boxes, one for the back piece and another for the chair base parts. Each box was aptly labeled as such:

Back piece on the left, base and cushion on the right:

WP_20161109_13_33_58_Pro.jpg WP_20161109_13_34_08_Pro.jpg

Cushioning was adequate inside and nothing was missing or damaged in shipping...here are all of the parts taken out:

WP_20161109_14_15_08_Pro.jpg

Assembly was pretty straightforward...just have to attach the back to the seat cushion, put in the piston to change the height, attach the arms, wheels, etc. Tools used were a socket wrench, the corresponding socket, and the included hex wrench used to attach the back rest recline lever. Once it was done, I gave the chair a look over. The back rest cushioning attaches with four rivets to the spines arms. I removed the cushioning for now and removed the rivets with a Philips head screwdriver. Likely later I'll fill them in with JB Weld Stick to keep a similar texture and get it painted. The seat cushioning I may look at making a slip cover or something...so I can keep the original upholstery in tact for warranty repairs if needed. If I change my mind on this though...you just have to unbolt the chair adjustment hardware and remove staples to undo the fabric...pretty simple. After that I removed the bulky looking head cushion to slim it down. Already the chair looks much better and more like the movie version IMO.

Here is a look at what the chair looks like without the back cushion and headrest:

15000694_1260123764008348_5966712658090434537_o.jpg

Once I have the money and time, I'll get scraps of high density upholstery foam, padding and utility faux leather from JoAnn Fabric and work on the cushioning. Hoping to do this within the month.

Last edited:
I really loved the design of the Chair in BvS!! Keep us posted!

Definitely will do! I just got some of the green high density upholstery foam from Joann I needed. I have the faux leather fabric I needed leftover from my Batman cape...so I can use that. Spent all of $14, very happy. Will try to update tonight, depending on how I make out :)

did you take any other screen shots from the cave i didn't do it and it sure would have been helpfull for 1/25 cave im building

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

did you take any other screen shots from the cave i didn't do it and it sure would have been helpfull for 1/25 cave im building

I actually ripped the whole video off of YouTube and have it on my multimedia server. PM me an email address and I can send you a OneDrive link so you can download it and take screenshots as necessary. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Got the foam templates cut for the cushioning. Go figure my sewing machine decided to hate me and keeps jamming repeatedly. The bobbin thread is not getting caught properly and brought up to the sewing plate...mess of thread. My dad is helping me take a look at it tonight and if we can't figure out why it's not catching right I may just borrow his sewing machine for a bit.

I actually ripped the whole video off of YouTube and have it on my multimedia server. PM me an email address and I can send you a OneDrive link so you can download it and take screenshots as necessary. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Got the foam templates cut for the cushioning. Go figure my sewing machine decided to hate me and keeps jamming repeatedly. The bobbin thread is not getting caught properly and brought up to the sewing plate...mess of thread. My dad is helping me take a look at it tonight and if we can't figure out why it's not catching right I may just borrow his sewing machine for a bit.

Cool ill send a pm in a minute

Okay, got the thinner headrest cushion done. It didn't come out as rectangle-y as I would have liked. However, it's passable. Maybe down the line I'll redo the upholstery once I get more funds together...this right now is practice and cheap at least and looks half decent. It attaches with black stick on Velcro...aggressive enough to hold it in place, but easy enough to remove if I have to send the chair in for warranty fixes.

Headrest cushion:

WP_20161112_22_35_10_Pro.jpg

Look with it attached to chair, hard to tell the difference from without any cushion:

15000228_1263014990385892_8425362790529769827_o.jpg

The back look:

WP_20161112_22_47_10_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, cushion for the back didn't come out perfect...pretty annoyed about that. I might just end up getting the whole thing reupholstered when I have the time and money. For now, it's serviceable. The seat cushion isn't covered yet, but I draped it over the chair so you get an idea of what it'll look like once it's done.

15069120_1264213360266055_6567117057180510802_o.jpg

Okay fixed up the seat rest cushion a bit. Still not perfect but passable until I can afford to get it reupholstered in faux leather professionally (looking at $400-$450 at the place I went to..only guys nearby). The bottom seat cover isn't perfect either but turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Looking great so far for only spending $30ish dollars on foam and a staple gun.

Please also see cat #1 curiously looking at my mannequin and chair project.

15068268_1265020623518662_4309168288538898472_o.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back