ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

I spent some extra time on my frame and gave it a nice hammered metal finish. This is something you won't even see when finished, but it makes a big difference to me. This was hours of filling, sanding, priming and repeating. I also just got some 4-40 threaded inserts for the frame, so now I have no excuse to not finish up the skins and mount them.

Man saw a bunch of droids this weekend at SWCO and it was totally awesome. My wife says I need to finish mine now!

Starting to get back to this guy. I made these wood spacers to go between the frame and the leg hubs.

3DWsfkul.jpg

I also used the VHB tape to glue my skins together finally. This stuff is solid.

LkS8luIl.jpg

I just loaded the outer skins with tape and stuck them together. The tape is great because you can put it right to the edge without any messy glue coming out. I was really happy everything lined up with no problems. I was worried about this.

HzTy3Eul.jpg

Matt this is awesome!! I haven't found any VHB yet, do u have a picture of the space between both skins?

Like how much space does the VHB take up? It seems the tape method has become more popular with builders today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used super 77 spray when I built mine and they popped loose at the top above the leg to body hub. For droid 2, I think I will try the vhb tape.

Matt this is awesome!! I haven't found any VHB yet, do u have a picture of the space between both skins?

Like how much space does the VHB take up? It seems the tape method has become more popular with builders today

The gap is very minimal. I wouldn't even call it a gap, more of a line that runs around the skins. It's not very noticeable, but I'm still going to hit all these edges with a flat file just to make sure everything is nice and even.

zvsimvVl.jpg

Dang!!! That is amazing! U mind sharing where you grabbed this exact tape?

Dang!!! That is amazing! U mind sharing where you grabbed this exact tape?

Yeah man. This is the stuff. I got it on ebay but you can find it other places too. There are different thicknesses so make sure you get the right one. One roll should be enough to do a whole droid.

a2jTJHvl.jpg

I also started to clean up the edges of the skins. So nice...maybe a little too nice.

TnX5gvul.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back