ANH R2-D2 Build (Weathered CS:R spec)

Yeah, these skins are really nice. The cuts are beautiful. I'm glad I got them now because now I can tell that my frame is a little wonky in the utility arm area. Everywhere else is a perfect fit.

PSI's and holoprojectors are now mounted in the dome. I got a really nice PSI mounting kit from ia-parts with lenses and everything.

IMG_2222_zpsjofro8qb.jpg

What's nice about these (among other things) is the machined aluminum recess that sets the lens back a little. This was a detail I didn't want to skip. I was going to try to make something but I'm glad these were available.

IMG_2224_zpsyb9mrzem.jpg

PSI's and holoprojectors are now mounted in the dome. I got a really nice PSI mounting kit from ia-parts with lenses and everything.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/mattycairns/IMG_2222_zpsjofro8qb.jpg

What's nice about these (among other things) is the machined aluminum recess that sets the lens back a little. This was a detail I didn't want to skip. I was going to try to make something but I'm glad these were available.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/mattycairns/IMG_2224_zpsyb9mrzem.jpg

looking good matt! wha clips did you use to hold the HP inside the dome in order to clear the PSI mount?

looking good matt! wha clips did you use to hold the HP inside the dome in order to clear the PSI mount?

I just used the same mirror clips as I did on the front logics. The PSI mount just clears the HP servo mount. There's no way a PVC coupling would have fit there, which I would have been stuck with if I didn't get the ia-parts kit.

What's your plan on mounting the skins? Love the progress here.

that is a excellent question, what is your plan Matt?! i am always changing my mind about what im going to do when the time comes. though i dont like being able to see the small mounting screws on the sides, it does make it a lot easier to remove the skins for upgrades or maintenance.

that is a excellent question, what is your plan Matt?! i am always changing my mind about what im going to do when the time comes. though i dont like being able to see the small mounting screws on the sides, it does make it a lot easier to remove the skins for upgrades or maintenance.

On my first droid,

I used screws on the inner skins straight the frame and then glued the outer skins over the screws. No removal. No maintenance. I started building a second droid and am looking to improve on this method.

I'm screwing them on with small screws on the sides. I don't mind seeing the screws and I'd like to be able to remove the skins if I have to. I'm going to install threaded inserts in the frame so I can use machine screws. Probably 4-40 size. Hopefully it works out well.

that's a great looking dome finish...

How did you get your PSI light red/blue to be a clear image?

With mine, you can clearly see each individual bulb.

i really am toying around with doing a second R2......

although i know i'm crazy fo thinking it.

that's a great looking dome finish...

How did you get your PSI light red/blue to be a clear image?

With mine, you can clearly see each individual bulb.

i really am toying around with doing a second R2......

although i know i'm crazy fo thinking it.

I have started my second and have parts for a third too. I must be crazy...

I don't know if I would agree about this being easy. There's plenty of cursing going on in my basement! LOL! You guys don't get to see that!

Seriously though, the degree of difficulty is not very high, but the number of parts and amount of work is just staggering. I'm working with wood, metal, resin, plastic,fiberglass, paint, electronics and so on. This is taking all of my skills.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back